This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very first day!

Well hello one and all, i thought rather than creating a newbie post i would greet you all here, and tell a wee tale of my very first working day

I resently took up employment with X- a supermarket

I had recived basic training, and was blissfuly stacking shelfs in home baking when a sweet old lady approached me (SC)

SC: excuse me but do u have any baking powder?
    Me: (looking up at empty shelf) umm no im afraid *i remember a huge amount of stuff has arrived* but i can ask someone else.
    SC: *stares for 2 sec and swells up* NO IM ASKING YOU!! DO U HAVE ANY MORE BAKING POWDER?!?!
    Me: *realising i should have snapped my fingers and summoned some* if it isnt there then, im afraid we dont...
    SC: *cutting me off* FINE then IM going to Z (rival)

And with that that satanic octagenerian leaves
    Co-worker: what a bitch

And the irony? 2 mins later i unload a box of powder, had she let me cheak and ask someone else she would have had some

to CS, Wyte.
    Sounds like you're going to have some great stories.

Patience is a virtue that some people really need to develop.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I had recived basic training
      I had a vision of a bunch of new recruits in grocery store aprons running laps around the produce section and doing pushups in rows down the freezer aisle...

I've discovered that the best answer you can give, when you don't know, is usually, "I don't know but let me find out." So when the customer doesn't want to wait for you to find out, well, their loss!

Oh, and welcome to CS!

-ams-
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Impatience. Should be one of the 7 deadly sins. We could combine Sloth and Gluttony, since they both involve laziness. Anywho getting away from The Canterbury Tales, Welcome! Pull up a chair. grab a cookie, or some chocolates, and enjoy.
        It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.
        ~~~H.L. Mencken

Comment

heh, thank you one and all! and by training i mean we watched a 3 hour long series of vids highlighting how X is the greatest corperation on earth, how it loves each and every one of us, and how actors, oh sorry ' randomly chosen custemers' in the stores think X is the greatest

Its flaming propaganda people!

And 'i can find out' is soon to be my weapon of choice against SC's so thanks!
          (well thats a bit of a lie, my weapon of choice would be to use a friggin gun on them, but there we go...)

Comment

Wow. Can't wait to hear more of your SC stories! , Wyte!
            ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Quoth Wyte View Post
              heh, thank you one and all! and by training i mean we watched a 3 hour long series of vids highlighting how X is the greatest corperation on earth, how it loves each and every one of us, and how actors, oh sorry ' randomly chosen custemers' in the stores think X is the greatest
              Sounds like our mandatory Holiday meetings...

Its flaming propaganda people!
              Here's something for your propaganda!

And 'i can find out' is soon to be my weapon of choice against SC's so thanks!
              Yes, with relatively reasonable people, it tends to work well. Also helps makes you look good if your company uses secret shoppers or the bigwigs like to make undercover visits, and they catch you off guard with something you don't know. Shows you're a "go-getter" type, willing to go the extra mile for the customer Oh, and, You're Welcome!
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Gah, I hate when people do that. I know when I'm asking for something, I'll wait, because if they do have it, hey! I saved myself a trip! Wicked Cool! If not, oh noes, 5 minutes of my time gone forever! Like I've never wasted 5 minutes before

Welcome, and I look forward to more stories!
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

You had to put up with that on your first day? Tough break, but this will only make you stronger. And brace yourself, 'cause there's more where she came from!
                  "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

Welcome to the site! I know your pain with older customers. I don't know WHAT it is, but they can either be your best customer or your worse for the day. Good luck!

Comment

Quoth Wyte View Post
                      And with that that satanic octagenerian leaves
                      I love that description!!!! That has made my day, and the fact that I'm off work certainly helps, too. I'll have to remember that one for future reference.

Quoth Ree View Post
                      Patience is a virtue that some people really need to develop.
                      Normally, I would agree, but we must remember that old people like that shrill old harpy don't have long shelf lives. The baking powder she sought will probably last longer than her remaining life span at this point.
                      The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Working...
                      X