This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon PowerOut Woes

We're advertising the Canon PowerShot A550 digital camera for $130 this week, and my store is out of stock on them. In fact, we've been out of stock since well before the ad was released, AND this camera has already been on clearance for at least 3 weeks. Moreover, to the best of my knowledge, our warehouse is out of them, so we won't be getting more.

Why the hell does corporate do this to us? I literally did this: when I saw that part of the ad Saturday night.

So already I've been dealing with customers looking for this camera, and the whining and complaining when they find that I do not have one to sell them (we sold the display today, so we are well and truly OUT of them).

Whiney Old Lady SC: But the ad only came in the paper TODAY!

That's neither here nor there, lady. I am still OUT OF STOCK on that item.

Early on in this tortuous ordeal I sent two customers at the same time to the store on the other side of town, which still had TWO available for sale.

30 minutes later we get a call from Dan, who used to be our sales manager but recently transferred to that store. There must have been a disconnect somewhere, because apparently both customers thought I said there was only ONE camera available there, and so each tried to beat the other to it! One even went as far as to CUT THE OTHER OFF on the way into the parking lot of the other store.

The woman who was cut off tried arguing with Dan that because the other guy cut her off, she should have first dibs on the camera.

Dan: Relax, I have TWO.

Ok, seriously folks. It's a freaking CAMERA. It's not even all that good a camera. In fact, of all the Canons we stock, it's the lowest end. You can do much better, believe me. And while $130 is a reasonably good deal, it's sure as hell not worth resorting to Road Rage to get one, especially since I can get you a comparable Sony CyberShot S650 for the same price. Really. Take a deep breath and take it like an adult.

Seriously.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 08-06-2007, 04:39 AM.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
    There must have been a disconnect somewhere, because apparently both customers thought I said there was only ONE camera available there, and so each tried to beat the other to it! One even went as far as to CUT THE OTHER OFF on the way into the parking lot of the other store.
    Grand Theft Auto: Staples
    Goofy music!
    Old tech junk!

Comment

The people who run the ads are to blame the most. They make them so far in advance and then feature models that are near the end of their life cycle as offered product so by the time the flyer hits the street the model's long gone. That happened to me at Circuit City more times than should have been humanly possible.

I mean, we all know shit happens and sometimes a company would pull the plug on a certain model early, but it got to the point where we'd read the ad before setting up and see what item was discontinued this week

It all goes back to decisions being made by people who've never worked with the public. I mean, so what if you have 100 people in your face screaming about bait and switch, it's not like Jenny Ad Designer is the one who has to live with it.
      "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post
        The people who run the ads are to blame the most. They make them so far in advance and then feature models that are near the end of their life cycle as offered product so by the time the flyer hits the street the model's long gone.
        There are usually only two reasons that sales are made for consumer electronics (and most other luxury items, for that matter):

1.) To hype early adopters on a new product, or
        2.) To sell off the last of a discontinued item.

If a customer doesn't know that something has been discontinued, that's his/her own fault for not researching what they're buying.

Comment

Man Dave, you really get some of the wackjobs!!

That hardly happens at my drugstore. But of course, we're known for all the crazy discounts, coupons, sales, etc. that we have, so they always know to have enough on hand.

They've got it pretty well-covered.

My sympathy goes out to you though, buddy. Some people...

Comment

Quoth theredbaron47 View Post
            Man Dave, you really get some of the wackjobs!!
            Gee thanks. I'm "honored."
            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
            X