This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God forbid I box my own donuts

I thought I'd posted this one a few nights ago, but I must not have. I don't know if I was just dreaming it, or I shut down the computer without hitting the submit button. It was late, and I was tired, so either is possible. Anyway, I've not seen the thread since.

So, I have this whiney old lady who seemed intent on complaining about everything. First, she asks where the gallons of milk are located. No big deal, I direct her to the dairy cooler.

She grabs a gallon of milk and takes it to the counter.

Then, she wants to know if we have fresh-baked donuts. We do have a small Krispy Kreme display case where customers can serve themselves and grab a donut. We receive a shipment to unbox for individual sale every night except Saturday night/Sunday morning. She walks over there and takes a quick look.

She comes back to the counter, "Don't you have any dozens that are already boxed."

"No, we unbox the donuts for individual sale when they arrive each night. However, we do have some boxes on the shelves below the donut case so that you can pick what you want if you'd like to purchase them by the dozen. It does work out slightly cheaper in half-dozens and dozens."

I know there were boxes ready for packaging because I always restock them and the other donut supplies when I put the new shipment of donuts in the case.

Whiney old bat: "You mean I have to box them myself?"

"Yeah, you can pick what you want that way. I'm sure you don't want me handling your food since I've been handling everyone's money this morning."

Her: "I didn't eat breakfast this morning, and I'm hungry now."

"Okay, go grab yourself a donut, then." *I'm not sure what more you could possibly want from me when it's just as easy to take your pick.*

Her: "I want to take some to my friends, too."

"Okay, get what you want for your friends, and grab one for the road." *I really do try to offer the simplest solution.*

She muttered something else, but I didn't pay much attention because I was watching a gas customer who was walking across the lot toward the building.

The woman comes back to the counter with her box of donuts. "I got six donuts."

"Okay, regular glazed or chocolate filled?"

"Chocolate, do you need to see them? You can if you don't believe me."

"No, that's okay. I'll take your word for it."

"Why did you need to know then?"

In that time, I'd done rang up her donuts and gallon of milk. "Just a minor price difference between regular and filled. That's all. Your total is......"

"I thought you said it was cheaper to by a half-dozen."

"The total includes your gallon of milk, too."

"Oh, it's expensive."

"Yep, it's expensive everywhere." Holding out hand waiting to collect payment.

She finally fishes her card out of her wallet and hands it to me. I twist it around in my hand and hold it next to the credit card terminal. "Swipe it like this, and select credit or debit."

"Oh, you don't do it for me."

"Okay......" I swipe it. "Credit or debit?"

"Credit"

I push the appropriate function button, and wait for the receipt.

"Sign here," pointing to the merchant copy. "This one's yours," pointing to the customer copy.

All done, I grab the merchant receipt and silently thank God as she leaves. It could have been worse, but it was annoying enough.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Some of the things like serve yourself doughnut cases are still new to people.
    If this was an older lady most likey she just wasn't sure of procedure and was trying to do the right thing.
    Anymore I never know if it will be me or the clerk that scans my card as every single flippin place does something different and I don't have the mental capacity to memorize which store does what with my credit card.

Comment

You mean she didn't ask you to sign the receipt for her, too?
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

God forbid she actually had to do something to get her food! Even labrat's aren't that lazy...

Comment

That kinda happened to me working at a movie theatre. We had self-serve butter so people could add their own butter. Like you said, it's new to people.

SC: I'll have a medium popcorn, extra extra butter
          ME: *hands him popcorn* extra butter is self-serve other there.
          SC: I don't want it to get all messed up. Can't you do it?
          ME (what I would have said): I'm just as human as you are. I'm not a popcorn professional, and you can't trust me to butter your popcorn any more than you can trust yourself.
          ME (what I really said): Sorry, I'm really busy *points to 9-person line behind him*

Comment

Quoth Earl View Post
            That kinda happened to me working at a movie theatre. We had self-serve butter so people could add their own butter. Like you said, it's new to people.

SC: I'll have a medium popcorn, extra extra butter
            ME: *hands him popcorn* extra butter is self-serve other there.
            SC: I don't want it to get all messed up. Can't you do it?
            ME (what I would have said): I'm just as human as you are. I'm not a popcorn professional, and you can't trust me to butter your popcorn any more than you can trust yourself.
            ME (what I really said): Sorry, I'm really busy *points to 9-person line behind him*
            and what makes this SC think that YOU won't mess it up and have him or her come back complaining that YOU put too much butter? Can never win either way.

(What I said was pure sarcasm btw )

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
              You mean she didn't ask you to sign the receipt for her, too?
              Beat me to it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I love that story. She was using passive-aggressive hints to get you to do everything for her.

Pretending not to get the hints while staying polite is the best counter to that, which you did beautifully.

In the game of passive-aggression, the fact that she had stop hinting and outright ASK you to swipe her card for her means that you win.
                The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth I8DaCookie
                  Damn...there goes my donut craving again.

Mmmmm...custardy filled chocolate goodness...uuuuuuagh....
                  i know what you mean!
                  and our local Krispy Kreme establishment closed and I didn't even realize it. I just happened to notice that the whole place was bare when I went to JC Penney to get my son's pictures taken this past sunday.
                  "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Holy cow. And she made it out to her car by herself or did you have to carry her and feed her the doughnuts?

My mother still refuses to pump her own gas. It annoys me to no end.
                    "Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings"-Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I guess I'm just one of those extremely independent people, and always have been. I'm actually quite patient with people so long as I feel like they are trying to learn and give it a try. Even if they have a hard time learning new tricks, I don't get all that impatient if they keep asking questions or otherwise needing help so long as they try. However, if someone is just being lazy or careless, they are likely to see my temper flare up at some point. No one is perfect, and I won't criticize anyone for an honest mistake made while trying to do the right thing. I just get aggravated when someone doesn't bother to try, or just gives it a half-assed effort then cries for help.
                      The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Working...
                      X