Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If You Are Already Convinced You Know the Answer Why Ask Us the Question?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If You Are Already Convinced You Know the Answer Why Ask Us the Question?

Today's A Plot was a lady who called us up with some "quick questions" about our software.

I can't go into details about what our software does because it would be very easy to identify the company I work for (not because we are big and famous (we are neither), but because we are the first ones to pop up in Google if you searched for it. Apparently, Google was how this lady was able to find us.

After a LOT of back-and-forth I got the feeling that this lady had taken on a project without realizing what was involved. She wouldn't describe the project, but she had already formed a picture in her mind about how she was going to complete this project and was just calling us to have us confirm that it would work the way she expected.

How do you even begin with someone like that?

I tried telling her what our software does and, more importantly, doesn't do. That didn't compute. She kept questioning me hoping I'd confirm that it would not only process text, but would also put a man on the moon and rotate her tires while she waited.

So next I tried explaining a bit about the industry we are in and some of the myths people have about it. Since these were the same myths she was spouting, maybe she'd give up. Nope. More of the same questions, phrased differently in the hopes that she'd get the answers she was looking for.

As a last ditch, I offered her a copy of the demo version to play with. The output from our demo version is not correct, but at least she could see for herself that it wasn't going perform the miracles she was expecting.

That actually worked. After about five minutes of spoon-feeding how to download a demo from our web site, she was gone...

Now we go to today's B-plot, one of our reseller who called us up and ended up arguing about the answers he got. If anything he was even stupider...

Caller: I was wondering if you could look up a couple of invoices. I'm not sure if I've paid them.

[Insert back and forth about the fact that the only people with access to the accounting system are either at lunch or on the phone.]

Me: Would you like to leave a voice mail for them?

Caller: No. I'll just call back later.

Me: OK. Eugene will be back from lunch about one o'clock. That's..

Caller: That's...uh...an hour?

Me: We are on the east coast. So it would be one o'clock eastern time.

Caller: Yeah, you're in Westford?

Me: Yup. Massachusetts.

Caller: Are YOU from there?

Me: Yes.

Caller: You don't sound like it.

Me: Oh. I've lived here since I was a baby.

Caller: Why don't you have an accent?

Me: [Jokingly] I'm pretty sure *everyone* has an accent. I guess mine just sounds a lot like yours.

Caller: [NOT joking] You don't say "Pahk the cah..."

Me: Uh.

Caller: And you don't talk like a Kennedy.

Me: I wouldn't know.

Caller: You can't be from BAHstun.

Me: So, if you call back around one, we'll have somebody look up those invoices for you.

[And the rest of the call was routine.]

When I told me co-worker, Mark, about that he laughed at my expense. He wound up paying dearly for it, though.

Because the caller from the A-plot called back and he picked up the phone!

Mark finally got some more information out of her than I did. It turns out that she was trying to produce artwork for pharmaceutical labels and wanted to incorporate the output from our software into the patient information.

Can we say "massive liability?"

Mark wasn't nearly as kind as I was. He flat out told her,

"It's not going to work the way you are expecting."

No effect. So he tried,

"The federal government has pages and pages of standards for this sort of thing which you must become familiar with before even attempting this."

Still nothing. He pulled out his trump card,

"I'm not trying to discourage you. I'd just hate to see you end up losing a lawsuit if somebody got injured because the labels you made had a mistake on them."

We think the word "lawsuit" actually made her pause a moment. But just moment. She went right back to assuming that she was getting answers she didn't like because we didn't understand the questions.

Mark actually ended up giving her a free time-limited fully-functional trial version. I dubbed it the "Enough Rope to Hang Yourself Special Offer."

I hope that ends it.
    Last edited by Dips; 08-09-2007, 06:32 PM. Reason: left some stuff out
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Quoth Dips View Post
    Caller: Yeah, you're in Westford?

Me: Yup. Massachusetts.

Caller: Are YOU from there?

Me: Yes.

Caller: You don't sound like it.

Me: Oh. I've lived here since I was a baby.

Caller: Why don't you have an accent?

This is but I've actually gotten the SAME thing from people before (I'm from the same town). People didn't even believe I was from this area because I don't have a Boston accent.

Of course, idiots like that probabyl wouldn't know a true Boston accent if it hit them over the head; they'd probably mistake it for a New York accent or something and then REALLY get hit over the head.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
      I can't go into details about what our software does because it would be very easy to identify the company I work for (not because we are big and famous (we are neither), but because we are the first ones to pop up in Google if you searched for it. Apparently, Google was how this lady was able to find us.
      You piqued my curiosity by saying your product is easily identified on Google, then going on to say where you are. Who knew there were so many software companies in Westford.
      The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Ahhh...people.

Potentially criminally stupid people.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
          This is but I've actually gotten the SAME thing from people before (I'm from the same town). People didn't even believe I was from this area because I don't have a Boston accent.

Of course, idiots like that probably wouldn't know a true Boston accent if it hit them over the head
          Every once in awhile I'll get a Green Line train driver with a molasses-thick, true Boston accent. That coupled with a bad train PA system makes for some hilarity as someone has to translate for the lost tourists...I've witnessed a few locals scarcely younger than me who can't understand it.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I don't take green line often, but I thought they were all on the automated voice now? Orange line you are more likely to encounter "singing woman" or "unidentifiable accent man" than a true boston accent.
            The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

There are still a few of the old streetcars running, and every once in awhile the automated voice will take a cue from the CharlieCard readers and stop working just because it can (especially on the Japanese-built cars that have been retrofit, those don't like the new hardware for some reason). People tend not to look at the pretty LED signs showing the next stop.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quote from a comedian, relating what happened when an idiot yuppy found out he was from Boston:

"'Can you say... park the car... in, like, Harvard Yard?' and I said 'Kid, what are you, retahded?'"

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
                  You piqued my curiosity by saying your product is easily identified on Google, then going on to say where you are. Who knew there were so many software companies in Westford.
                  Yup. Safety in numbers. I made sure to try that Google search before I posted the name of the town where I work.

But check your PMs.

The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
                  X