X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
    Canadian coins rock.

I honestly don't see the problem with them.
    They're magnetic. Which may not be a problem for you, but a few of the coin mechs I use don't clear the magnet off properly (and the magnet is essential to prevent people from using slugs), so the machine jams when someone tries to use Canadian coins.

I try to thin the bad ones out, but the mech design was rather poor, making easy to start glitching. Fortunately, I think they changed the design later.

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
    Never saw paper money from Canada, though.
    First it was prettier than ours. Then it was uglier than ours (and that takes a lot of doing! I'm talking about our old, pre-pastel money!) And I think it's back to pretty again.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
      They're magnetic. Which may not be a problem for you, but a few of the coin mechs I use don't clear the magnet off properly (and the magnet is essential to prevent people from using slugs), so the machine jams when someone tries to use Canadian coins.
      OK. Good reason. Thanks for teaching me something new today.

First it was prettier than ours. Then it was uglier than ours (and that takes a lot of doing! I'm talking about our old, pre-pastel money!) And I think it's back to pretty again.
      Cool. I should try to find some. Wish me luck.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Amethyst Hunter View Post
        speaking for Illinois? Our tollroads and their associated insanity are things of legend. At least in the state.
        yeah, too bad the tollway fixed the necco candy scam - bet those beat quarters from any country!
        Last edited by sms001; 08-18-2007, 04:32 PM.

Comment

See I can actually somewhat understand this. Because while yes some people say "a quarter is a quarter", to the United States government, a Canadian quarter is *not* a quarter. It has no value in our country in all honesty. Would you take a British pound? Or a Euro? Or a Peso? No. Because they are monies from foreign countries. And yes, Canada is next door to us, but it is still another country.

I have no problem with it, but I don't use change really and besides, I don't live somewhere I would have this problem. But I can understand why other people would have a problem with it. It's really not money, by the standards of the United States government.
          "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Comment

Quoth reformedwaitress View Post
            See I can actually somewhat understand this. Because while yes some people say "a quarter is a quarter", to the United States government, a Canadian quarter is *not* a quarter.
            I understand it... I just think it's amusing. It may be worthless to the government, but most banks (outside of IL, NY, and some other states) will take it at par, so what's the big deal?

Comment

They're magnetic.
              News to me.
              I never knew that before.
              Goes off to play with a magnet and all the coins in her wallet to test that.*

Quoth reformedwaitress View Post
              See I can actually somewhat understand this. Because while yes some people say "a quarter is a quarter", to the United States government, a Canadian quarter is *not* a quarter. It has no value in our country in all honesty. Would you take a British pound? Or a Euro? Or a Peso? No. Because they are monies from foreign countries. And yes, Canada is next door to us, but it is still another country.
              Then how come people from the US expect us to take their money?
              If I refused to accept any US coins or bills, and told the customer that it was foreign money, I would get in big trouble.
              Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Hmmm... I'm wondering how far some of that Canadian Money has traveled.

See... I'm in Central TEXAS... about as far south of Canada as you can get... and I recently received 6 Canadian quarters from the laundromat. I also once received a few Canadian quarters while I lived in.. HAWAII!
                hea·then [hee-thuhn] noun
                1. an unconverted individual that does not acknowledge the God of the Bible.
                2. an irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized person.
                3. the children of NotSoInnocent.

Comment

...could be some US tourists got it back in change while travelling in Canada, and it was mixed in with their regular change.

Sometimes, a customer will accidentally give foreign coins as a penny or a dime, because some countries have coins that resemble our Canadian coins.
                  The cashier doesn't look close enough at the time, but it gets caught at the end of the night.

We often get foreign coins randomly wrapped up in rolls of coins, too, because people want to get rid of them.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                    News to me.
                    I never knew that before.
                    Goes off to play with a magnet and all the coins in her wallet to test that.
                    I've had the lesson thrust at me a few times. I don't know if loonies/twonies are magnetic, or even the small junk, but quarters definitely are.

Quoth Ree View Post
                    Then how come people from the US expect us to take their money?
                    Because (A) there's a lotta us near a long, relatively open border (even after recent political issues), (B) essentially every bank in the world takes US money, and most of them give decent exchange rates, and (C) we expect that you're businesses are run by greedy people who like money.

Quoth Ree View Post
                    If I refused to accept any US coins or bills, and told the customer that it was foreign money, I would get in big trouble.
                    Well, not legal trouble, since it is foreign money, and not legal tender in Canada. But that whole (C) issue above is likely to be a problem.

OTOH... it would be priceless to see the expression on some gormless American's face when he's told that he can't use his US money in Canada. If you ever decide to do it, please make sure you have a camera handy and share!

Comment

Well, not legal trouble
                      Well, no, of course not.
                      I meant that the customer would probably complain to my boss, and I would get ripped a new one.

Comment

I've been known to throw Canadian pennies into the garbage just to get them out of circulation. I can't stand those things. I'm sorry but I live in Texas and I don't like them at all. I consider them equivalent to counterfeit money. I don't accept them as payment and I don't give them as change to customers.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                          Well, no, of course not.
                          I meant that the customer would probably complain to my boss, and I would get ripped a new one.
                          Possibly... but if you're getting ready to leave your job, and want a way to go out with a bang that's not too sucky and won't totally burn your bridges behind you, just don't forget the camera so that we can all enjoy the story, too.

Comment

Quoth Rubystars View Post
                            I've been known to throw Canadian pennies into the garbage just to get them out of circulation. I can't stand those things. I'm sorry but I live in Texas and I don't like them at all. I consider them equivalent to counterfeit money. I don't accept them as payment and I don't give them as change to customers.
                            While the United States has a ban on selling Pennies and Nickels for copper scrap, that doesn't apply to Canadian Money....

Comment

OTOH... it would be priceless to see the expression on some gormless American's face when he's told that he can't use his US money in Canada. If you ever decide to do it, please make sure you have a camera handy and share!
                              Not quite but...

When I worked in the concession booth at a hockey arena, I had the utmost pleasure of telling two rude American frat boy types that while we could take their 100$ BILL?! as payment for their 2 beers ($15!!), we did not offer an exchange rate. Seriously, who the hell brings large bills to a hockey game??? This was on a weekday when the banks were open!
                              "Who in their right mind would commision a Sistine Chapel-style ceiling of pooping catgirls?"

"I dunno. Atheists, probably."

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                                ...could be some US tourists got it back in change while travelling in Canada, and it was mixed in with their regular change.
                                Some of us here in my part of Florida jokingly call our area an "Annex of Canada". We have SO many Canadians here! I accept Canadian credit cards and coins. Doesn't bother me either way- I send them to the bank with the deposit and they count them. I probably wouldn't accept paper notes though- never had anyone try, don't know what the bank would do.
                                "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                                HellGate: London

Comment

Working...
                                X