This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post

Never saw paper money from Canada, though.
    Prettier than ours and easier to tell the difference between the numerals just by glancing at them. I like that little aspect. *Glances at the Canadian money left over from his trip to Toronto.*
    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

You fool.

Quoth Rubystars View Post
      I've been known to throw Canadian pennies into the garbage just to get them out of circulation. I can't stand those things. I'm sorry but I live in Texas and I don't like them at all. I consider them equivalent to counterfeit money. I don't accept them as payment and I don't give them as change to customers.
      Then you are very silly in your thinking. First, it is real money and if you collected them in a jar you could always take the full jar to an exchange service to get american money. Worse, copper is copper. There are lots of scrap metal deals who will pay by the pound.
      Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 08-19-2007, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Quoth Refkeila View Post
        Not quite but...

When I worked in the concession booth at a hockey arena, I had the utmost pleasure of telling two rude American frat boy types that while we could take their 100$ BILL?! as payment for their 2 beers ($15!!), we did not offer an exchange rate. Seriously, who the hell brings large bills to a hockey game??? This was on a weekday when the banks were open!
        What was the exchange rate? Today with the Canadian dollar in the 90's the loss is not too bad, but when it was in the low 60's that would mean their change would be around $85CDN or $55 USD, in other words half their money gone!

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
          Goes off to play with a magnet and all the coins in her wallet to test that.
          Soooooooooooooo...how'd the experiment work out?
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

At my store, we throw all the odd money* into a cup.

*Odd includes Canadian, Mexican, something from the Middle East and/or Asia, arcade tokens, and a coin that I think is from Denmark. My boss let me keep that one.
            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Hon'ya-chan View Post
              While the United States has a ban on selling Pennies and Nickels for copper scrap, that doesn't apply to Canadian Money....
              Well that's an idea!

Comment

Yeah I live only a few hours away from the border of Canada. In my area we have an "unofficial" rule that anything less than $1.00 Canadian is considered the same value as US money. Anything over $1.00 will have the exchange rate applied to it.

I don't care about getting Canadian Pennies, Nickles, or dimes. I do however hate getting Canadian Quarters because all the vending machines and laundry machines around here are modified not to accept them. I don't mind one once in awhile, but at the store the other day the cashier gave me 3 of them. I had her exchange them for US ones, but I was nice about it.
                If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
                www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                  At my store, we throw all the odd money* into a cup.

*Odd includes Canadian, Mexican, something from the Middle East and/or Asia, arcade tokens, and a coin that I think is from Denmark. My boss let me keep that one.
                  Can I have a look-see when I'm home?
                  Unseen but seeing
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Shengirl View Post
                    We've gotten rolls of pennies with Canadian pennies in them - straight from the bank. -_-
                    My drawer once had two rolls of pennies each with a Chinese coin in it; now I can understand Canadian pennies being mistaken, but these things were silvery in colour (one steel, one aluminum I'm assuming due to different ages and magnetic testing); all they probably saw was the giant "1" on one side of the coin.
                    "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Quoth Bloodsoul View Post
                      My drawer once had two rolls of pennies each with a Chinese coin in it; now I can understand Canadian pennies being mistaken, but these things were silvery in colour (one steel, one aluminum I'm assuming due to different ages and magnetic testing); all they probably saw was the giant "1" on one side of the coin.
                      Well, having worked in a counting room (wow...I've had a lot of different jobs...I may need to start a thread...), they probably were just the right size and non-magnetic. When you deal with large amounts of mixed, loose coin, it just gets dumped into a large sorting machine that counts out full bags of coin. Some of those bags go to be run into rolls on another machine. The only way odd currency gets sorted out is if it catches on the magnets, gets stuck in the system by being too big for the sorters, or the operator happens to see/hear it. Now, after some time working one of these, you get pretty good at hearing 'wrong' coins when you dump them in. This had the fringe benefit of adding to my silver quarter/dime collection, as well as some cool foriegn coinage (some bahamien, a Euro, Finnish, and a 184? deutchmark that is almost worn smooth).

Anyway, you got them because the snuck through the machine, and were the right size to sort into the pennies. The bank should switch them out if you can show the rolls you took them from. Then again, it is just two cents, and you get some cool coins.
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Got an Indian rupee last night. It is about the size of a 10 pence piece.
                        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                          Soooooooooooooo...how'd the experiment work out?
                          Not the poster, but I did test a magnet against some canadian quarters I had in my kitchen for my own laundry and they are magnetic at least. Didn't check the rest of the coins since I don't have a strong magnet around. (The fridge magnet I had barely picked them up.

Comment

Jetfire, thanks for experiementing and getting back to me.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I live in Michigan, so always have some canadian change. I went to Arizona on vacation a couple years ago. I handed a cashier some change and he looked at me like I was handing out monopoly money. He laughed when I told him what it was and why I had it...but wouold not take a nickel.

Comment

Do you have any wooden nickels, like the ones Sambo's used to have for free coffee? Are those spendable?

Comment

Working...
                                X