This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
    There are a lot of people out there that would see that the same way. However, I'm willing to bet that we would all shop a lot less if we saw how much markup there is on the goods that we buy--whether it be a $1.25 bottle of Pepsi, a $17 CD or a $600 power steering rack.
    You ain't kiddin'. The markup we have on GM parts is nothing compared to car audio, alarms, and the general bling that morons put on their cars on a daily basis. I've sold that shit. I have stared into the mouth of Satan!
    I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

When I bought my Ford Ranger, it only came with one key. I went to the dealer and had a second remote programmed, along with a second key. Cost me $125 for parts & labor (ouch), but if I need any more keys, I can program them myself, since I have the two.
      That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Quoth Jadedcarguy View Post
        Your Type III is a far stretch from a modern car, as well. What was state of the art in that time is now archaic. I mean no offense, but you comparing apples and oranges.
        Aren't many Type 3 mechanical parts similar to those on the Beetle? If so, it's no wonder they're not expensive--with several million of those made, parts are easy to come by. Before we got the MGB GT, my father had a Beetle-based kit car, aka the "fake MG." It sure raised a few eyebrows at the VW dealer when he'd take it in for servicing. While I was there, I remember playing in some of the display cars...among them a then-new Vanagon. All of that's gone now

As for the MG, well, parts for that aren't exactly cheap. However, I don't care all that much--I'm glad I can still *get* them, considering the B went out of production in 1980, and I have a '69. B-Series engine blocks alone are about 2 grand, and rebuilding a tired engine with new parts is about half that

What I find annoying, is I can get parts for that car within 2 days...and my now-gone Mazda would take weeks!
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

My '99 Ranger has a passive anti-theft system in it. Based on this, I can safely assume I'm going to be paying through the nose for a spare key?

When I bought it used, it only came with one.
          A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
            Aren't many Type 3 mechanical parts similar to those on the Beetle?
            It's been a while since I messed with VW's but I know a lot of the parts are the same or similar, I just can't remember which ones!

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
              My '99 Ranger has a passive anti-theft system in it. Based on this, I can safely assume I'm going to be paying through the nose for a spare key?

When I bought it used, it only came with one.
              I don't think Ford was using the chipped keys in '99, but a call to your Ford parts guy will tell you for sure.

Comment

It's been a while since I messed with VW's but I know a lot of the parts are the same or similar, I just can't remember which ones!
                Many of them are. It's easy to tell. VW had a brilliant part numbering scheme (I don't know if they still use it.). The first three digits of the part number tell you what type of car it first went into, so, when you go to the junkyard you know what cars to look in.
                Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
                  VW had a brilliant part numbering scheme (I don't know if they still use it.).
                  I'm pretty sure they do. As far as I know Porsche and Audi use it as well.

Comment

VW and Audi are - or were - part of the same commercial group. I seem to remember some of their vehicles share very common parts.

Rapscallion

Comment

I don't think Ford was using the chipped keys in '99, but a call to your Ford parts guy will tell you for sure.

The PATS key was an option on the 99 Ranger. Generally the coded keys have a much larger key head than the standard non-chip key. There should also be a "theft" light on the dash that will light up briefly when you start the vehicle.

Chip-coded keys are something we have to deal with quite often for remote starter installations. There are online sources that will sell you a replacement key for quite a bit less than the dealer (although you'll still need to program it for your vehicle).
                      Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

Comment

DA also tried to throw me under the bus by saying I was rude and a racist because I didn't just cave in
                        Is this a metaphor or did the DA literally try to throw you under the bus?

Comment

Quoth MoonChild2007 View Post
                          Is this a metaphor or did the DA literally try to throw you under the bus?
                          It's a metaphor. To "throw someone under the bus" means that you tried to get them busted for something that they really shouldn't take the heat for, or something that they didn't do altogether.

Comment

Working...
                          X