This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What part of "closed" don't you get?

This happened at SO's store today. I'm so glad I got out of retail. And I do feel sorry for the cashiers.

I went to do a bit of grocery shopping, stopped to say hi to SO, his co-workers, talk about our wedding, etc. and went on my way.

Today was a bit busy, unlike other Sundays. It could also have been the time of day, as I don't normally shop during the middle of the day on the weekend.

In any case, I was at the register and waiting for my turn. The checker smiled, asked how I was (just about everyone who knows SO knows who I am; it's kind of nice), and said that I was her last customer. She flipped off her light and changed her sign from open to closed.

A few people came up, saw the sign and went to other registers. One lady asked me if the lane was closed. I told her yes, and pointed her to the 10 items or less because she just had a couple of things and it was moving faster.

Just as I was 3/4 of the way done emptying my cart to the belt, a lady came up with a full cart and started waiting. I mentioned that the lane was closed and went back to unloading.

SW: Sucky Woman
    Me: yoohoo!
    C: Cashier

SW: Oh, well if it's closed why are you unloading?

Me: Because she told me that I was her last customer before she clocks out. *still unloading*

SW: Ah...*pauses for a few moments as she lets it sink in...then* well, can you let me go ahead of you? I mean, you would be her last customer and all. *as if I won't see the logic in this, flawed as it is*

Me: *pauses for about 1/2 second, smirks and looks to the cashier who's waiting to see what I'll say/do, then back to the lady* Well, tell you what. You help me put all this stuff back in my cart, in the order that I removed it and I'll let you go ahead of me. *this is important to note as I'm a bit obsessive. I always put the delicate stuff, eggs, bread, etc. up last on the belt so the don't get smooshed.*

SW: You're kidding right? *looks to cashier* make her move! I neeeeeeeeeeed to get out of here. I'm in a huuuuuuuuurrrrry!

C: Well, she is my last customer. And she does have a point. *tries not to laugh as she is still checking out the customer ahead of me*

SW: this is so unfaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiir! *stomps off to another cashier as I look to my cashier, trying not to bust out laughing*

I got done about the same time that the SW got done. Rather than bag her own stuff (it's a bag and buy place), she goes up to customer service, complains, pointing to me and the cashier. The CS rep comes over and asks me what happened, and I happily tell her (she's another 'friend' of SO and mine..so it wasn't as if it was going to cause me any trouble). She goes back, and offers her apologies, to which the woman stomps off and bags her stuff, all the while trying to give me dirty looks.

The kicker: she was blocked in by the courtesy clerks bringing in the carts. There was a whole string of them behind her car.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Minor Karma, but Karma none-the-less.
    This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Ha.

Serves the SC right.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post

SW: You're kidding right? *looks to cashier* make her move! I neeeeeeeeeeed to get out of here. I'm in a huuuuuuuuurrrrry!

Well then you shouldn't be shopping when you're in a huuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrry!

That piises me off the lane is closed so leave! They don't pay me enough to deal with stupidass customers!

Here's what I had today while I was counting my till!

SC:Are you opening
        Me: I'm closed, my sign is up
        SC: No I mean are you opening up
        Me: No M'am I'm closed, my sign is up.
        SC: I mean are you starting or finishing?
        Me: No I am not opening at all I'm leaving

When My CLOSE sign is up, leave me the hell alone!
        Providing Excellent customer service and Filtering out nonsense people.

Comment

I used to hate it when I was trying to close my register so I could leave, and people would keep coming into my line anyway. I'm sure some of them honestly didn't notice my "closed" sign, but I'm convinced that more of them just didn't care. They figured they'd get in line anyway, and I'd have to check them out.

One time, I got tired of it, and just left them all standing while I shut down the register and walked away.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

These stories make me appreciate all the more the one line - multiple cashiers system at the bookstore. It's a lot easier to close when there's only one person to worry about. Plus I could take my own drawer down so if necessary I would start my reports while my last customer was getting their stuff together.

And why is it the people in a huuuuuuurrrrrrrryyyyyy have so much time to argue when they could just be getting on another line, and then have even more time to go complain to someone else?
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Because when someone is in a "Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyy " they shouldn't be stopping to shop anyway. If it was that important you should've though of it earlier, anyway.

When I was first learning how to make drinks, my first real day at bar, (no easy feat, I assure you,) at one point I made a drink incorrectly, instantly noticed my mistake, and quickly began to re-make the correct drink. The man came up and stuck his head at me, asking me about it in a rude way. When I explained what had happened, he huffed and explain that he didn't have time to wait the 30 seconds it would take me to steam milk and pour espresso shots to finish up his drink. He probably would've gotten a recovery cert. (coupon for a free drink when we mess up) if he'd stuck around but he just took off, didn't even get a refund for the drink. He really discouraged me when I was just starting out. Thankfully, most of my customers aren't like him. ^.^

Comment

I have seen customers jut walk up to closed registers, light off, sign up, unload then get all pissed why we won't serve them because "this register was open earlier"

Comment

Working...
                X