This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Pedersen View Post
    McFly got the freak out of his life, though. Friend's car still started. And McFly never did have an explanation as to why.
    Well, I've got a few ideas:

1. The car was running on diesel and thus combustion was achived through compression, not ignition.
    2. The distributor cap managed to make contact with the distributor arm allowing at least 1 spark plug to ignite.
    3. There was current remaining in a capacitor or similar component (Do some cars have somthing like this?)

EDIT:

Quoth Pedersen View Post
    For non-mechanics in the audience: While I don't know the specifics, I do know that the distributor cap is (more or less) the center of a car's electrical system. No cap, no electric. Period. That car should not have been able to start, not at all. And no one I've ever met has even had a theory as to why it did.
    The distributor is a mechanical switch that is driven from the engine crankshaft and ignites the spark plug of each piston at the correct stage of the cycle, the cap basically holds the end of the HT cables over the correct positions of the distributor so that the arm contacts it at the correct time.
    I'm not sure but it might also power the heater plugs in a diesel engine...
    Last edited by solemnwarning; 09-08-2007, 06:50 PM.
    Linux user (Debian and Kubuntu)
    Programmer in C and perl!

I'm "only" 16 but do NOT try and outskill me with machines

Comment

Quoth OfficeSlug View Post
      Sing it, brother!

I am the cool, hang-out aunt for a few hours, then I turn my niece back over to my sister...
      Hi mom, I didn't know you were hanging in these forums!

Oh man, the bad trick mom played on my aunt once...

She had me draw a really realistic-looking Tattoo on the tailbone of my 13 years old cousin, brought her back with sum polysporin....

The FACE on my aunt when she saw that!
      Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

I'm not having kids either. I'm selfish, flighty, and immature... and damn proud of it! Me and the fiancee, it's dogs for us!
        "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

Working...
        X