This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
    I believe the US military uses the same format as us for date.

Rapscallion
    The most sensible way I've ever used is writing out three letters of the month. IE, today is 10 aug 2006.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
      I've also had a couple at the country park where I used to work who were New Yorkers... they shouted all the time and gave me and my fellow collegues earache.
      I feel your pain. We've got so many transplants from NY in Rio Rancho that there was a rumor that there were a lot in witness protection from the mob! And we hear constantly how much better it's done back there. If so, please to take yourself back there. I think it maybe because we are fairly laid back here. Maybe because things are hundreds of years older than in NY? Our thinking, "In 100 years, whose really gonna care if you could get your movie quicker in NY?"

Ooh, ooh, I forgot about the lady from Chicago that I worked with briefly. Would you believe that she had the nerve to tell me that we don't know how to make burritos here. In New Mexico. She was convinced that they had to have steak and such, not just beans and cheese. Burritos are peasant food. Mexican peasants were lucky to have some cheese occasionally, where the hell are they gonna get steak?! Needless to say, she soon moved back to Chicago. I think she thought she was in a foreign country.

While I would never think of arguing about it, I'm really hoping that the carry-on restrictions are relaxed in a few weeks. I'm leaving for London (Gatwick) on 9 Sept* and flying back to the US from Dublin on 23 Sept*. And mind you, these flights start and end in Albuquerque! I'm not really looking forward to doing them with nothing! All I'd really need is a book. Not that we condone violence, but I would like to rip the collective arm off the terrorists and beat them over their collective head with it!

*See, I use that date method as well. Probably because my dad was civil service at WSMR for 30 years. I also use the 24-hr clock. High amusement value watching people try to figure it out!
      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
        Some people do and some people don't. There seems to be no official stance on it, although letters from the government do put in the "U's" into the proper words. Where I live, one daily newspaper spells things Canadian, and the other, American. Both are concidered to be correct, but I like to add my extra letter's here and there.

As for the date-you're better off writing down the name of the month, otherwise people will be all different kinds of confused.
        Actually, there is an official stance. Newspapers are supposed to use the Canadian Press (CP) style guide, there is a supplimentary style guide for general use called Editing Canadian English (ECE), and some is covered in the Chicago Manual of Style 15th edition. Canadian usage is supposed to be colour, labour, light (not lite), and a bunch of other stuff.

The problem is both the intended audience and the original author's style. Most editors just use the form most used by the author in the first place.
        It's a lot faster to switch 2 occurances of labour to labor, than it is to switch 73 occurances of labor to labour.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
          Canadian usage is supposed to be colour, labour, light (not lite), and a bunch of other stuff.
          Lite isn't American, it's an overused attempt to be clever and/or the leading offender among abbreviations that hardly save any length.

As for visuals, how can color compare to colour?
          I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

Huh. I didn't know that. Thanks Broomjockey. I learned something today.

Well, now that I've gotten that out of the way, it's time to veg out!
            I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Where I work, I primarily use the Julian calender for dating. Today is 06223. No months to worry about YAY!
              The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Working...
              X