This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrades

I'm really upset at some people right now.

We're offering executive memberships to people at my store.
    What it is: $100 membership a year.
    Benefits: 2% cash back on all purchases, discounts on services
    The Catch: none, in fact the executive is guaranteed. If the 2% of all purchases doesn't equal $50 or more (the upgrade fee on top of the membership fee), then we refund you the difference.

In essence, you get cash back for upgrading, some people spend so much, that they earn TONS back. We have these RF guns, we scan your card, it tells us how much you spend and how much you could get back. We only approach those that would profit from the upgrade.

I had 3 people today worth noting.

The first screamed for 3 minutes that I was trying to scam him out of his money (he would have gotten $250!)

One actually RAN from me as I approached him to ask if he wanted to upgrade. The front end proceeded to burst out laughing at that sight.

The third just didn't feel like doing it. Really liked the idea, but didn't "feel" like it today.... I was so confused.

It's my day off today. I'm going to go visit my boyfriend at his college (an hour away) for the day, relax, eat waffles, and cuddle with him to make the retail nightmares go away...
    "I, too, am saddened by the lack of hookers in this thread." -LingualMonkey

People are so gun shy of these types of things now. Last time I signed up for a store membership, I was deluged in telemarketing calls within days. I finally got taken off their list and canceled the card.

So now I shut down any offers I get immediately. I'd hate to think that I've passed up what is obviously an awesome program because of my past experience.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
      People are so gun shy of these types of things now. Last time I signed up for a store membership, I was deluged in telemarketing calls within days. I finally got taken off their list and canceled the card.
      I think that's a lot of it, what with the Do-Not-Call List and the regulations associated with that. We have people drop off their computers to have us work on them. We'll ask for their phone number so we can call them if we have questions or simply to tell them the work is done. I'd say about once a day I get someone who asks me if I'm going to sell their phone number to other companies when all I'm doing is printing it onto a piece of paper for our own reference for as long as the computer is with us. I've watched multiple arguments between customers and co-workers about the difficulty we'd have contacting the customer if he or she refuses to provide a phone number.

They do have good reasons to be concerned about the phone number thing, though. I've been there. I had an entire month of being called once a day about subscribing to some newspaper before I finally managed to get my number off their list.
      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
      - IPF

Comment

If this is the company Im thinking of (rhymes with Lost-co), I have one of the Business memberships and the last time I was in, someone with one of those scanners gave me that very same pitch, but they never mentioned anything about refunding the difference if I didnt get much of a rebate. That specific point would have convinced me to do it.

Hell, I guess I'll be signing up when I go back next time.

Comment

Quoth Nakajo View Post
          The Catch: none
          <snip>
          The third just didn't feel like doing it. Really liked the idea, but didn't "feel" like it today.... I was so confused.
          Whenever there's something like that where I can't see the catch, I assume there still is one and I just have to work harder to find it. Most days, I don't feel up to doing that sort of work.

As Boozy said: the ordinary person is gun-shy of these things. We've been scammed, marketed to, and generally hassled enough that 'Do Not Want!' has become the default response.

Sure, sometimes these offers are genuine, and don't have a catch. But ALL of these offers come with 'this is great! this is free! this is for real!' tattooed on their foreheads, even the scammy ones. So we don't trust.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Yeah, I know, but we really try hard not to screw around with our members, we even give you the full option at sign up to never be contacted by us, with emergencies as the exception. It's why we have that 100% guaranteed return policy on most things in the store (exception: 90 days on major electronics, but free tech support for life and extended manufacturers warranty)

the first thing I mention is the fully guaranteed, cancel anytime part. We're actually doing really well on upgrades this year, we're up 1600% from last year! (no kidding!) Yay Lost-co!

Comment

The title of this thread keeps making me think of Upgrayedd, with two d's for a double-dose of pimpin'.

Comment

Its my automatic response to shut down any "sales pitch" given to me at any store I shop at too. 9 times out of 10 its going to come with a catch that negates any benefit you may have reaped. Its sad, but true. There are very few companies I'd actually trust with any shred of my personal info.

( Course I'm not stupid enough to not leave any contact info when dropping off something to be repaired or some other service. )

Whenever that sales pitch starts I just see the greasy, throbbing corporate meat rod get whipped out and begin gesture wildly at the sweet virgin corn hole of my wallet and/or advertising potential.

Feel free to use that mental image next time you go shopping.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                  Whenever that sales pitch starts I just see the greasy, throbbing corporate meat rod get whipped out and begin gesture wildly at the sweet virgin corn hole of my wallet and/or advertising potential.

Feel free to use that mental image next time you go shopping.
                  .... *blink-blink*

I'm not sure it can be avoided, at this point...

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Good thing

I no longer use a wallet, otherwise your comment would make it impossible to pay for goods at the store and I would starve to death.

Comment

Good God, man! Where do you come up with this stuff!?! I love it!
                      I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Quoth Shengirl View Post
                        The title of this thread keeps making me think of Upgrayedd, with two d's for a double-dose of pimpin'.
                        Love that movie!

Comment

HAHAHAH

"Welcome to Costco, I love you."

Comment

Quoth Nakajo View Post
                            HAHAHAH

"Welcome to Costco, I love you."
                            Brought to you by Carls JR.

Comment

"F%$# You! I'm eating!"

Comment

Working...
                              X