This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very brief but very painful...

I was giving some out-of-state lady (we're in Texas, she's in Oregan or some such place)...sounded to be in her 30's or 40's...our snail mail address. She asked me to go slow and I veryyyyy quickly realized why. We'll pretend our street address is 619 Rey Street, where our actual street name is actually a very, very common four letter name for streets. Not THE most common, but a word every human on EARTH, even the ones without written language, and some moderately intelligent parrots should be able to spell.

Me: "Okay...it's 619..."
    Her: "Could you spell that?"
    Me: *figuring she misheard me, speaking more clearly* "619..."
    Her: "Yeah...how do you spell that?"
    Me: "619?"
    Her: "Yes, ma'am, can you spell that for me?"
    Me: ...*dies a little inside* "6...1...9..."
    Her: *repeats* "6...1..."
    Me: "9."
    Her: "...6..."
    Me: "1..."
    Her: "...1..."
    Me: "9."
    Her: "..........9..."
    Me: "Rey Street."
    Her: "Can you spell that?"
    Me: "...R...E...Y..."
    Her: "Ummm..."
    Me: *more slowly and loudly* "R..........E..........Y."
    Her: "R..."
    Me: "E-Y."
    Her: "E..."
    Me: "..."
    Her: "..."
    Me: "...Y."
    Her: "...Y..."
    Me: "Now, it's..."
    Her: *without getting town name, state, or zip code* "Okay, thank you!" *hangs up*
    Me: "...no problem..." *hangs up, straightens paper clip, jams into eardrum*

I hope either A, she DOES already know our town name, etc., or B, when she calls back to get it, she gets my boss RM's phone instead...although most likely is C, she tries to mail her stuff without it and then she calls us every day for a MONTH to ask why we don't have it.
    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

LOL, you keep marking out for Rey

Comment

I vote for c, you know it will happen
      I like to scare small childeren, it's fun and as long as you can out run the parents you can get away with it.

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
        Me: *figuring she misheard me, speaking more clearly* "619..."
        Her: "Yeah...how do you spell that?"
        Me: "619?"
        Her: "Yes, ma'am, can you spell that for me?"
        Me: ...*dies a little inside* "6...1...9..."
        What the deuce?!

I have NO words.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

In such situations, I do spell things, even obvious things, out just for purposes of accuracy and clarity. Yes, I do feel your pain if it takes more than one try if it's obvious.
          The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth MrSunshineState View Post
            LOL, you keep marking out for Rey
            I heart Rey. I have a WWE calender on my desk and I just keep cutting out months so Rey's picture stays on top. And a Rey figure sitting on top of my computer. And pictures of him for my screensaver...

...yeah, I lurve the little guy. I would put him in a jar and bring him home if it weren't creepy and illegal and wrong.

Though honestly, 619 Rey Street is actually a fairly close approximation of our street address, so it works, heh.
            "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

I heart Rey. I have a WWE calender on my desk and I just keep cutting out months so Rey's picture stays on top. And a Rey figure sitting on top of my computer. And pictures of him for my screensaver...

...yeah, I lurve the little guy. I would put him in a jar and bring him home if it weren't creepy and illegal and wrong.

In August of 2006, I got to meet Edge after a RAW in Charlottesville, VA. My friend works for Vanguard Championship Wrestling and had an idea of where the wrestlers may be after the show (there is only one place open between Charlottesville and Richmond). I remained as professional as I could when I talked to him. Edge rules. Now, if I ever get to meet HBK, I will mark out like a 13 year old girl at a boy band concert.

Comment

Quoth MrSunshineState View Post
                Now, if I ever get to meet HBK, I will mark out like a 13 year old girl at a boy band concert.
                I would pay good money to see that done
                I like to scare small childeren, it's fun and as long as you can out run the parents you can get away with it.

Comment

mysty i hear that daily

Me-Cellular Research
                  SC- can you spell that
                  Me- C-e-l-l-u-l-a-r
                  SC- C-E-...
                  Me- L-L-U-L-A-R
                  SC- C-E-L-L-U-L-A-R
                  Me- cellular research
                  SC- and thats research spelled R-E-A-C-E-R-C-H
                  Me- R-E-S-E-A-R-C-H
                  SC- R-E-S-C-A-R-C-H
                  Me- R...E...S...E...A...R...C...H
                  SC- R-E-S-C-A-R-CH
                  Me- sure why not
                  or maybe
                  Me- zip code is XYYYX
                  SC- XYY...
                  Me-...
                  SC- XYY... What?
                  Me- *sigh* X-Y-Y-Y-X
                  SC- X-Y-Y-X
                  Me X...Y...Y...Y...X
                  SC- oh XYYYX

kill me please

Comment

At least she didn't ask you to spell "street"
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Yes indeedy... I'm feeling the pain. My hotel is located on a street with what would be a very common name if it weren't for there being an extraneous "e" tacked onto the end. What's worst is that there is another street with this same name minus the extra "e" on the other side of the county. We get calls from people all the time who have put the normal spelling into the GPS or used that spelling when printing out maps and are now unsure if they're still in the same time zone as us or not. It's always a joy trying to lead them back to us here.
                      Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

I love the Rey references in your posts. This sounds like some of the people I get on a regular basis, you poor thing.
                        "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin

Hurts, doesn't it?

Comment

RJ: *blink, blink* "S, i, x, h, u, n, d, r, e, d, n, i, n, e, t, e, e, n."
                          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Juwl, you beat me to it!

I woulda said: "S I X O N E N I N E"

and imagined the person on the other end thinking "WTF? Sixonenine? How do you pronounce that? Six-oh-nee-neen?"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                              RJ: *blink, blink* "S, i, x, h, u, n, d, r, e, d, n, i, n, e, t, e, e, n."
                              Actually, given the Rey Mysterio theme, it would've been "s-i-x, o-n-e, n-i-n-e", but yeah.
                              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                              X