This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreign Passports

As if we weren't having enough trouble with passports in the US, I've about given up on foreign passports.

I had one customer who was very nice and polite. He brought in the spec showing exactly the right size that he needed. He let me cut a few, but let's be honest; I couldn't cut a straight line to save my life -- not even with a paper cutter! So after the first two are a little crooked, he asks if I could print out a few more, and he would do the cutting. Thankful for no longer having to do more work for this guy -- plus, he just handed me a customer satisfaction guarantee -- I quickly oblige. He ended up leaving very happy, was extremely polite and understanding to me the whole time, I wonder now if he wasn't a fellow retail worker.

Unfortunately, he represents but one of the hundreds of foreign passport customers I have worked with in the past. And, sadly, he is clearly the exception.

I've had customers who came in, said that they needed a passport photo and expected me to guess what country it was for. Customers have shown me outdated passports with pictures that I would have to guess at for 20 minutes to get our system to print them properly. And they need it in 5 minutes.

I'm boggled by customers who walk into an American drug store and expect Chinese (or Canadian or Bulgarian, etc.) passport photos. Passport photos are quite profitable... except that the equipment to take, cut and measure them costs roughly $500. Now imagine if we had to buy a set for every different specification... not to mention having to have our equipment programmed to show the correct guides depending on the specs.

$7.99 for two pictures? How about $24.99, and you'll be lucky to get *one*!
    "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
    -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
      But it's not just the people getting thier pictures taken, either. The (Canadian) government is very picky about passport photos, in regards to the way that the person has their face, to the background colour, to the darkness or lightness of the photo. (Perhaps because alot of undesirables try to get a Canadian passport, thinking that it's better than a British or American one. Maybe.)
      Actually, Canadian passports are what many 'iffy' people try to get because they are regarded as 'the best' in terms of the black market. There is apparently no passport worth more on the black market than a Canadian one. I'm not sure why this is so, but I've had it confirmed by more than one person who knew what they were talking about.
      Arsenic is 'natural'. Hemlock is 'organic'.

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
        I guess because a passport photo is not something you think "oh, I must pick up one of those" while shopping.
        You'd be surprised... I get a lot of passport 'walk-ins'. I'd make an announcement over the PA about passport photos "While you wait, $11.95 for a set of two... etc." and about 5-10 minutes later I'd get at least 2-5 people saying. "So.. you do passport photos? I'd like a set."

So we do get walk ins - sometimes we get the walk ins when I'm in the middle of a portrait session. Which is a pain in the arse. Because sometimes they are self-entitled, self-absorbed and want service RIGHT NOW. Not now while I'm dealing with a screaming toddler thanks, I'll be there when I can.

Comment

Working...
        X