Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Kids are Great, The Parents... Not So Much (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Kids are Great, The Parents... Not So Much (long)

I work at a family oriented health club with the word "christian" in the title. (Note: this is not a christian bashing thread, I just can't say the name of where I work until after my last day in a few weeks.)
    Anyway, I teach youth tumbling (like gymnastics but only floor exercise) to kids from ages 3-11. I have met some really nice, really friendly families. But then their are a few who, shall we say, make coffee nervous.
    I have had a few times where parents have been really condescending to me because I don't have children of my own. One parent, who saw that class was a bit chaotic because it was the first day and everything was new, said to me, "Oh, it will get easier when you have children of your own." They act as if the moment a baby pops out of your crotch you automatically become Dr. Spock, B.F. Skinner, and June Cleaver all rolled into one. Riiiight... so what happened to Britney Spears again? They also get all paranoid if you do one thing that appeares even remotely dangerous. If they think what I do will jepordize their child, I'd hate to see them in a REAL gymnastics class.
    Then there's the parent who doesn't understand that their 2 1/2 year-old will not fit in a class with 5 and 6 year-olds. I know your kid is potty trained, so is my friend's cat, Macaroni, what's your point?
    And finally, there are the parents who nitpick about time. Either they wank because the other parents are late bringing their kids and you have to pause because most of the kids are three and won't pay attention to you anyway when other kids are comming in late, or they get all bent out of shape if you have reschedule a class. I have decided to go back to school with two weeks of class left, so I told my classes that I would reschedule the classes to Sundays which are the one day I have off. I explained that if they couldn't make it then they could have a refund or a credit toward another class. I swear one parent wanted me to be like, "Oh, ok, I'll give up this wonderful opportunity doing something that I am passionate about and will give me an enriching career, to stay behind and teach tumbling to your (insert favorite word here)." Yeah right!!
    Thanks for letting me vent. Tomorrow I will be handing out the new class dates so we will see if the "shitith will hitith the fanith" so to speak.
    Last edited by notspearsdamnit; 08-09-2006, 06:47 PM.

Yea, I see alot of stupid parenting. I'm a single guy living with my parnets and I know how to handle kids better than some of these people.
    "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Quoth notspearsdamnit View Post
      I swear one parent wanted me to be like, "Oh, ok, I'll give up this wonderful opportunity doing something that I am passionate about and will give me an enriching career, to stay behind and teach tumbling to your crotch dropping." Yeah right!!
      Please don't use that term to refer to children at CustomersSuck.com. I appreciate that you are angry at the entitled parent, but we do not accept people using terms like that to refer to kids.
      A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
      - Dave Barry

Comment

I take it this is the reason why when my nine year old was at cheerleading class the instructor had all the parents wait outside.

Comment

I used to take karate and I would help run the classes every now and then. The parents hated it when I ran classes because I would make their precious angels do push-ups, run, or my favorite; making them do pull-ups because it would stunt their kids growth. My instructor always said I did well, the dads liked that I made their kids work hard. It was just the moms that hated me because I would make their kids work hard. I'll never understand parents.
          The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I'm sorry for the use of that word, barefoot girl. I had just seen it used in the past on other posts and figured it was safe.

Comment

We had a bit of a heated discussion about it recently. Many posters are parents and proud of the fact, and many are childless and equally happy. Let's not hurl potentially insulting stuff at each other, y'know?

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Crosshair View Post
                Yea, I see alot of stupid parenting. I'm a single guy living with my parnets and I know how to handle kids better than some of these people.
                My cousin once said "I was an expert parent until I had kids!"

I don't have kids and I still could see the truth in that...
                Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
                TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth skeptic53 View Post
                  My cousin once said "I was an expert parent until I had kids!"

I don't have kids and I still could see the truth in that...
                  True, I wouldn't be perfect. Buy you must agree that you would be better than some parents that we have all seen.
                  "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Sucky parents have nothing to do with religion. Just because it was a "christian" owner don't mean the rest of them are.

back on topic, most people try to raise their kids properly. The rest of em, raise them the same way their parents raise them or the opposite. Which basically turns them into mush or ass

I never understand why people don't understand that everyone is different. While some kids might respond to time-out (which would have been a joke to me when I was a child), while others will only respond to a swift whack to the behind. And as a parent, it's your job to find out what your child will respond to and discipline them before they turn into satan's spawn.

My parents told me as a child (which of course has been erased from memory), a swift whack wouldn't even get my attention. Now my mother and I understand why (nerves disease). So they did do other things to keep my attention, however positive reinforcement quickly became a joke in our family. Even my siblings found out, our genes are alittle too devious. All 4 of my sisters have kids (for a total of 8 kids). Surprise, surprise, they're all smart devious kids (except one, we think he got serious problems). They're exactly like we were without our "physical problems", it's really scary since we all can semi-remember how bad we all were.
                    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
                      Sucky parents have nothing to do with religion. Just because it was a "christian" owner don't mean the rest of them are..

I don't think the OP said anything about the religion of the parents, just that the word "Christian" is in the title of the business. Possibly as in the "YMCA".

Comment

I taught dancing at two schools, one discipline was paramount, and that included the parents.

They were allowed to sit on a bench at the back of the studio but they were NOT allowed to talk, at all, not even wispers. Nor were they able to talk to their children in class. Classes were run very well (I was an assistant for the studios head) and the children learnt very quickly and yet STILL had fun.

Studio two didnt have any rules, parents would continuely interrupt lessons to yell at their kids in front of the teacher and sometimes would talk SO loudly I would have to yell so the kids could hear me.

By the end of the second week I had, had enough and stopped the music and stared at the parents until I had everyones attention. I told them that they would all be asked to leave if I had to stop the lesson one more time, they were taking away from the quality of my teaching and being completely disrespectful. Shut them up for about 15 minutes. Then they promised me the world when at the end of the term I announced I would no longer teach at that studio due to the behaviour of the parents.

Sad really, the kids totally missed out!
                        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Working...
                        X