This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky IP Relay "Customer"

Ok, so these people aren't technically customers, in fact they are technically con artists, but I have to deal with them at work, so I think they count. I get maybe five calls a day through the IP relay service from someone calling himself Shawn. "Shawn" tells me he wants to purchase a specific model of laptop as a gift for his son in West Africa. I tell him we don't carry laptops, just cell phones from [carrier I sell]. He says, hey no problem, do you carry the [phone model not carried by the carrier I sell]. We play this game for a while, and then another operator breaks into the call, informing me that this call follows a pattern of "fraudulent behaviour," and would I like to terminate the call at this time. The first time I went ahead and finished the call, both out of curiosity and a misguided belief that maybe they were wrong. The call culminated with him finally hitting upon a device that we do carry, and then immediately reading off a credit card number and shipping address (a PO Box number) and saying "when can I expect delivery?" Yeah, I bet that card's not stolen...any takers?

According to the IP relay customer service line, this is a known fraud, and they have forwarded the information on to the FBI, who is investigating it. The problem is that they can only block specific ISP's, and anyone that has internet has access to IP. Also, companies can't block calls from specific users of IP, and of course can't legally block IP altogether since that would constitute discrimination against actual Deaf customers who need IP to communicate by phone. It has gotten to the point that every time I hear the IP operator when I answer the phone that I just cringe.

It makes me so angry to know that there are actual Deaf and hearing disabled people out there that depend on the relay system to communicate, and these awful excuses for humanity are exploiting that system to steal from people. I used to take reservations for Deaf and hearing disabled customers at Budget all the time through relay, so I know what a valuable service it provides, and I would hate to see it ruined by theives. Have any of you ever dealt with this problem before?
    Dips: The best karma happens when you let a jerk bash themselves senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

When I get a relay call I give the person a minute to speak-if they had a genuine concern or question of course I'd take the call.

But in two years, *every single call* from them has been a scam call wanting me to ship a whole case of Maui Jim or Rayban sunglasses to South America (the country always changes), so I have ended every one.

I just keep repeating "I cannot help you."

The person keeps talking.

"I cannot help you."

"blahblahblah"

"I CAN NOT HELP YOU."

Eventually they get the hint.
    "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

This system is abused so badly by punk kids and jackasses attempting to scam us and make prank calls that I cannot take these types of calls at work anymore. I give the relay operator my email address to pass along to the caller, explain why I am not allowed to accept this type of call and ask that the caller email me with their questions. I know it chases off sales and I regret that but I regret even more not being able to help folks who sincerely need to use the relay service due to a few bad eggs.

Comment

maybe I'm slow and "unhip" to the fraud game, but why would a con artist list off a number of products that you don't have? how would that help him?
        ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Quoth kerrisan View Post
          maybe I'm slow and "unhip" to the fraud game, but why would a con artist list off a number of products that you don't have? how would that help him?
          I'm not certain, but perhaps, since he's been bugging you for so long, once you finally stumble upon something you have, maybe you're less likely to check the numbers? Just a thought.
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I would guess they're looking through a Yellow Pages or something under general terms such as "books" or "electronics" and then phishing for information when they call their mark. Prior to our decision to not accept these calls, we would get folks calling and asking about our competitors' products - had they actually done any research such as look at our website, they'd be able to tell we obviously don't carry what they're trying to scam off us.

Comment

Quoth Onte View Post
              I would guess they're looking through a Yellow Pages or something under general terms such as "books" or "electronics" and then phishing for information when they call their mark.
              I think that's what they are doing. Since our cell carrier provides internet services as well, we are listed under "wireless internet," as well as under "cellular carriers," so I think they are just calling us blind and then narrowing down what we actually sell by process of elimination. Thanks for the responses, I'm glad our store isn't alone!
              Dips: The best karma happens when you let a jerk bash themselves senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

Okay, since I don't live in the US: what is this IP relay you're speaking of?
                You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

I believe its a way for deaf people to talk on a phone.
                  Its my understanding that they have a phone that displays words, and some can even get a phone with a robotic hand that articulates sign language for them, depending on if they are blind too i believe.
                  and the operator is the person that translates the spoken words from the other party, into text for the phone for the deaf person
                  http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
                  Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

Yeah, it's a scam and it sucks because I have to take the call until I can determine fraud or not.

To date it's never been a legit call.

Being in the computer industry I at least have an out to get them off of the phone. The antiquated definition of a 'supercomputer' (of which most modern computers fall under as well as the XBox and PS2 fall under) prevents me from shiping systems to certain countries. Most Africian countries prevent me from shipping to them.

The part that makes it a bitch to track them is the fact that you no longer have to use a phone to get the relay service. Many of these companies have a web interface. I knew of a guy who used it to keep from making long distance calls.

Relay is a godsend to the deaf, but not to us in stores. In 5 years of service, I've NEVER gotten a call from one of my deaf customers. They prefer to come in and talk to me one on one (via typing on the computer)
                    I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Ug, I used to get these all the time when I sold computers. It was really bad because we had 1 customer who was actually deaf who frequented our establishment. He was a very nice guy, and he an I got along well despite the communication barrier.
                      But everytime I got a call on an IP relay, it was a scam. Send me 5 laptops, here's my info, etc etc. My boss refused to do any sort of business over the IP. So when my deaf customer called, I told him to use a codeword to start the conversation, so I knew I was talking to him. Worked out well, but man, the fraud calls just kept on comming.

Comment

I get these somtimes, they always ask if we sell computers and then when they find out we sell vitamins they try to order 100 pallets (Wtf).

I always tell them I can't take their order, but they keep giving me credit card numbers. Like I'm gonna help them.
                        KAHN: I thought being smart person in Texas set her apart.

KAHN: If my girl doesn't wrestle, I'll show you who put the sue in Souphanousinphone!

Comment

Working...
                        X