Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the love of God, DO NOT write your PIN on your debit/food stamp card!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the love of God, DO NOT write your PIN on your debit/food stamp card!!

Am I the only one in this congregation who is bothered by the fact that I see so many customers who have their PIN's written on (or at least near) their food stamp (EBT) or debit card? You see, in a bank safety deposit box, it takes two keys to open (your own and the bank's). Well, these cards with their PIN's are meant to do the same. You must have BOTH the PIN and card for it to work. Thief manages to steal one or the other? Too bad. Don't these people realize that writing the PIN on their card defeats the whole purpose of having a PIN? And if they can't remember their pin, they can always change it to something they can more easily remember, but of course having one like 0000 or 1234 is definetly not a good idea of course.

I have a few times tried to point this out to a customer I see with the PIN written on their card but I doubt it ever does any good.

I'm actually in favor of writing down your PIN on your cards. All you have to do is mess with it in such a way that you still know the PIN, but somebody else would not. For example, either add or subtract 1 from each number of your PIN and then write that number down. If my PIN was 1234, for example, I might write 2345 on the card. Or add digits either before or after your PIN that you know to ignore, like your ZIP or postal code. If my PIN was 1234 and my ZIP code was 68993, I might write 689931234 on the card.
    "Them boys ain't zombies! They're just stupid!"

Comment

When I worked at the grocery store, I would see it all the time. EBT users would have it written on the inside of their card's sleeve (probably pre-printed by the state). But, why? That is/was just stupid. On a side note, I would normally see only EBT users do this, not the debit users.

The ones that were funny were the ones who would say their pin numbers out loud. :-p D'oh.
      Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Comment

Wells Fargo allows up to a 12-digit PIN. Mine is 8-digit, but I remember it alphanumerically
        DJ Particle

Comment

How hard is it to remember a four-digit number (expecially if you choose it yourself) that you use every time you shop?

I've written the 1-800 customer service number on the signature panel of my credit card, because it's not printed on the back ... I'm sure cashiers look at it and think I'm stupid if I think people won't realize it's "really" my not-so-cleverly-disguised PIN. (I have no idea what the PIN is - or if I have one for it - but it would be funny if it coincidentally was part of the phone number!).

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
            And if they can't remember their pin, they can always change it to something they can more easily remember, but of course having one like 0000 or 1234 is definetly not a good idea of course.
            Remind me to change the code on my luggage.

Comment

Quoth Tria View Post
              Tria, remember to change the code on your luggage!
              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth daleduke17 View Post
                pin numbers
                Pet peeve!!!

Quoth Tria View Post
                Anyone up for a Spaceballs reference? :looking around:
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                  Anyone up for a Spaceballs reference?
                  "Oooh! Oooh! Ooh!"
                  *second Venusian lifts hand holding First Venusian's* "Damn."
                  "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                    Pet peeve!!!

Anyone up for a Spaceballs reference? :looking around:
                    YES!!
                    Dark Helmet: 12345? That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard of in my life! That's the kinda thing an idiot would have on his luggage!

President Sroob: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5? That's amazing! I've got the same combination on my luggage!

Ok, but seriously folks... Of course, working at the bank we have to deal with dumbasses and their ATM cards all the time. Half of them can't remember their pin and have to bring their cards in for re-pinning on a regular basis. At our bank you can't re-pin your card at the ATM, you have to come inside and either at teller or a csr can re-pin the card for you.

We even had some woman who's had her ATM card "hot carded" (meaning the bank has closed the account because it's been compromised) ten times! I kid you not. The last time she had to have her card hot carded she had given some psycho boyfriend her pin and atm card and he ended up wiping her account clean. Ok, my own boyfriend doesn't know my pin. Nobody knows my pin except for me.
                    Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

I've let family know my PIN, but that's only because they know I'll roast them on a spit of they do anything. I also know that none of them would ever do anything, because that's how we are. Even my useless brother who owes me a buttload of money for backrent and his share of the bills would never take money out of my account.

Ditto with my ex and my current.

But anyone I haven't known for years gets nothing. No PIN, no password, I don't even save account names on my computer at work, much less passwords.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

When I worked at the grocery store, I would see it all the time. EBT users would have it written on the inside of their card's sleeve (probably pre-printed by the state). But, why? That is/was just stupid. On a side note, I would normally see only EBT users do this, not the debit users.

The ones that were funny were the ones who would say their pin numbers out loud. :-p D'oh.
                        Well... they didn't earn the money, why should they care about protecting it?

But seriously, writing down your PIN, anywhere, is a bad idea... one trip to the ATM and all your money is gone!

-Wembley
                        Originally Posted by edible_hat
                        (also, wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?)

Comment

People even do this at the bank. I had a man come through our drive through the other day. He tossed his debit card into the drawer and said, "I want to put money in my daughter's account." Now I would understand if it was a debit card from our bank. I frequently have people handing over their card when I ask if they know their account number. I can use the debit card to look up their account number, so it works out. Unfortunately this card was from a national bank, which wasn't even close to my locally owned bank.

So, I assume he wants to do a cash advance. We don't normally do these through the drive, but it was a slow time of day so I made an exception. I need info off the cardholder's ID to process a cash advance, and the convo went something like this...

BL: me, Bank Lady
                          CM: clueless man

BL: Do you have your drivers license with you?
                          CM: 5472
                          BL: I'm sorry, but I need your license to do a cash advance.
                          CM: 5472
                          BL: I can't process this like an ATM. I need information off your license.
                          CM: Just give me my card back.
                          (sends card out in drawer)
                          BL: Okay, we do have an ATM right inside the ...
                          (CM speeds off)
                          BL: ...front door. Bye, I guess.
                          (turning to coworkers)
                          BL: Did you guys just see that? That was weird.
                          "Any free samples?"
                          "Sorry, not today."

Come on people, we're a bank not a bakery.

Comment

I was stood next to a collegue a while back. Elderly lady comes in not long after chip and pin becomes compulsary here (and being that she was elderly, we know she just wasn't used to having to do chip and pin at all), and collegue asks her to enter her pin. Suddenly, in a VERY loud voice she starts saying "0... 1..." before me coworker managed to blurt out "No! Just type it in! I'm not allowed to know that!" >_<

we've had a few that write it on a bit of paper in their wallets... >_< a few that have it saved on their mobiles too (which is a slightly less bad idea for those with trouble remembering numbers!)
                            "Ah, he's not the first psycho to hire us, nor the last. You think that's a commentary on us?"

Comment

Quoth GolfCart34 View Post
                              [....] Ok, my own boyfriend doesn't know my pin. Nobody knows my pin except for me.
                              I don't know my spouse's PIN (yes, we have separate bank accounts).

But, I'm not the one who walked away from the ATM machine without taking the card ... TWICE in one month!

Comment

Working...
                              X