This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another ID problem

Probaly a lot of these out there but yet another ID problem.

(End of Transaction)
    Me:And will that be on your *Store* credit card today? (standard procedure)
    SC: No just visa (hands me Visa)
    Me:Umm this has a male's name on it (her being female)
    SC: Yah its my dads. Here is a note saying I have permiossion to use it, it has his signiture on it.
    Me: Umm I'm pretty sure we cant do taht as your signiture wont match with the one on the card. With it not being yours and all.
    SC: WHAT! they let me do it at Seven Eleven! Let me speak to your Manager.

Essentially my manager told them the exact same thing and explained why and she leaves in a huff.

How do people think that we would let them spend the banks money in another persons name? Its like your not spending your money and not even someone elses.....that is if she was even telling the truth couse in Home E theres a lot of stuff worth stealing.
    Fan? This is shit. Shit? Meet fan.

Ok, this exchange is the result of either one of two things:

1) Daddy actually gave his daughter his card and a note saying she could use it. In this case, daughter is in danger of inheriting Daddy's brainlessness. *cough*Darwin*cough*

2) It was a stolen card. No, throwing a fit and asking see a manager will not change the employee's mind. Chances are, the employee has received his training at least in part from the manager, so they will more than likely say/do the exact same things!
    ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Unless something's changed (and it likely has, but you never know), back in the day when I worked in retail, it was actually acceptible to take a credit card under the circumstances listed, but the retailer had the option of refusing the sale if they didn't feel comfortable with it. Maybe it's actually still that way...?
      ...don't you know the first law of physics? "Anything that's fun costs at least $8.00."
      - Cartman

Comment

essentially from my understanding we could take it. yes. but if they had been decent forgers and the credit card company had made contact with her 'father' regarding the purchase if he said he didnt have any knowledge of it and the signitures DONT match on the recipt then us the store is forced to pay the supplier for the merchendice since there is no real proof the owner of the visa card was the one who purchased the product. Just opens up a bag of crap that we dont want to deal with.

Comment

Quoth phillippbo View Post
          Unless something's changed (and it likely has, but you never know), back in the day when I worked in retail, it was actually acceptible to take a credit card under the circumstances listed, but the retailer had the option of refusing the sale if they didn't feel comfortable with it. Maybe it's actually still that way...?
          OMFG people actually did that!! Though it explains why I've gotten people who try to hand me a piece of paper with their credit/debit/foodstamp card number on it an expect me to put it through. We were told that it was illegal and anyone caught doing it would be terminated on the spot.
          Mon aéroglisseur est plein des anguilles!"

Comment

When I was working downtown for a nonprofit, the COO would occasionally send me to the Staples down the street with his business Amex and a signed note on the company letterhead saying I was allowed to use it for purchasing office supplies. I never got questioned, but then again I suppose a few of the smaller companies in the area also did that.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
              When I was working downtown for a nonprofit, the COO would occasionally send me to the Staples down the street with his business Amex and a signed note on the company letterhead saying I was allowed to use it for purchasing office supplies. I never got questioned, but then again I suppose a few of the smaller companies in the area also did that.
              If it has just the business name on the CC then there is no problem. The problem only comes into effect when it has both the business name, and another card holder's name on it.

Comment

That's probably because it was a commercial credit card, not a personal one--
                I used to get it all the time when I worked refunds, since amex is the only card my store accepts I only know their rules (and even those came from my manager so who knows) we weren't even allowed to put back a charge that was made by one card # onto another card # on the same acct (and yes, I'm aware that we are actually putting credit onto the card) but yeah the cardholder had to be present at the desk with the correct card to do it...it does prevent miles, rewards scamming tho

Comment

yah i have used the store credit card but i make sure i have my uniform on and such and also there is no specific name on the card it bassically says property of *company*. Also they usually ask me for my ID so they know im signing the right name so the only way i could be screwing them over is if i somehow managed to gain l337 ninja skills stole a store credit card got a fake ID perfected the signature and then purchasessome lightbulbs couse our stores checkouts lights are burnt out and we have sold out.

Comment

I've used my mom's CC, but it's at the grocery store where I've worked for 4 years. Basically, if you work there, they don't question you. A lot of the young'ns (and college students who are home for the summer) make errands for their parents, and we don't think anything of it. If we don't know them, however, that's a different story. But I understand how that could cause problems. He should have come in there with her and talked to the management. But...oh well.
                    Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

I do that with Kyles credit card *looks sheepish*

but hes usually right there in the store with me so he can ok it inperson.....

yeah yeah I know I know... sucky customer behaviour... bad kiwi bad

its just that my NZ credit card charges me $11 per perchase out of the country and I dont have the credit rating here to get my own card... yet
                      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

The AM at the bookstore once gave me her CC to purchase large amounts of candy for a kids' event later that night. It was a personal card with her name on it. I was able to use it at the drugstore no problem (clerk didn't even check the signature).

Kiwi, my mom got me an Amex card that links to her account (basically a second card that has my name on it). Maybe Kyle could do something like that (I believe most major CCs let you request additional cards)?
                        Last edited by Dreamstalker; 08-13-2006, 12:34 AM.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth kerrisan View Post
                          2) It was a stolen card.
                          That is what I am thinking. One thing I remember from my retail hell days is that thieves & scammers always act offended and / or get defensive when their little scheme is not going according to plan.
                          "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                          ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Working...
                          X