This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Sale and a lady who just HUH?

Ok my last one for a bit but since i just found the site after working in retail for almost three years im sure you can understand i have mild venting.

This happened awhile ago so im not directly quoting much just kinda a general overview

A man in a mobile chair is looking at chairs and i swing by and ask him if he needs a hand with anything...

SC: Whats the price of these chairs.

Me O it's X(i forget actual price)

SC: O really...they are really nice chairs. How about I pay Y for them.

Me: Umm the price is X sir, and there is nothing wrong with the chairs.

SC: Well i want them but i dont want to pay that much for them.

Me: Well uhh i guess you cant have them (i was more polite if i recall, taht was more of what i wanted to say)

SC: Can i speak to your manager please?

Manager: What seems to be the problem.

SC: I like those chairs but i dont want to pay that much for them.

Manager: Sir we arent a garage sale, the prices are marked so you pay the marked price.

SC leaves grumbling about poor service.

and my LAST beef (this was recent)

normal Day in Home E and the start of a new sale. A lady comes up to the counter with a flyer in hand.

SC: Hi! (sounded like a very nice lady, and did through the whole conversation) I was looking in your flyer and saw this camera on for Trade& Save. It looks perfect for a gift.

Me: Yup iI have two here in the display case. Unfortunatly they are both packaged.

SC: O can you possibly open one up so i can see it?
    (these cameras are all in the hard to open plastic cases but since we didnt have one on display, which we should have, i had no problem opening it as i could use it for a dsiplay model OR sell it to her)

Me: No prob *cut open with scissorsand hand her camera*

she looks at it ahiwl and we talk about features and such and i pull some spare batteries to show her how it works when its on and explain installation etc etc

SC: Ok i will take it, but can i have the one you didnt open please? (grrr but o well. use the opened one as a display model i guess)

Me: Ok so do you have the points for trade and save?

SC:O whats that?

I explain that in order to trade and save one must have accumulated points in the store (which you get via purchases and such) and it turns out she doesnt have the points

SC: o no! i was hoping to get it for that price!

Me: Im sorry but if you dont have the points its regular price.

*the kicker*
    SC: O how about i take the on you opened and get a discount since its opened =D

Me: But i opened it for you.......and you know it works perfectly.....you saw me open it.

SC: but its open so i should get a discount.

Me: Im not giving you a discount for that.

Etc etc. she finally bought it but was considerably less cheery at end of purchase.

Thank you for listening to my venting i think i'll be done for awhile now
    Fan? This is shit. Shit? Meet fan.

Quoth SC
    O how about i take the on you opened and get a discount since its opened =D
    This part actually made me roll my eyes IRL.
    Last edited by Ree; 08-13-2006, 04:22 AM. Reason: Fixing quote tags

Comment

First of all, welcome to CustomersSuck.com! Glad to have ya (and glad to help you laugh at your SCs)!

You know, I'm wondering if maybe the camera lady wasn't planning that "opened box discount" the whole time . . .
      ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

wouldnt be suprised haha. i let a lot of stuff slide but i was like 'cmon.....im not a fool'
        Fan? This is shit. Shit? Meet fan.

Comment

Yeah....I opened it for you to look at...No dice git...
          "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Reminiscent of the story of the fellow who murdered his parents and begged leniency from the court, since he was an orphan...
            Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
            TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Let me guess, Zellers for the 2nd company right? I HATE their trade & save ads in the flyers. They use a crazy amount of points to take miniscule $$$ off the purchase, and usually the products can be found cheaper elsewhere anyway...

Back on topic, should've just told her you'll give her a discount... of 0% :P

Comment

Opened Box the Right Way

I was looking for a laptop last year since mine needed an upgrade. I went to Best Buy and they had some Gateways on sale for about half what I was expecting to pay. The clerk opened the box, booted it up, and discussed the features. She then asked if she should get me an unoped box. Thinking about this site I replied "No thanks, I know this one works". She actually smiled at that and completed the purchase.

I still do not understand why someone would want a different electronic device then the one that was just opened and shown to actually be working.
                "The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents."
                - Nathaniel Borenstein

Comment

Quoth gundam40 View Post
                  Back on topic, should've just told her you'll give her a discount... of 0% :P
                  Screw that -- how about a negative discount, say -10%?

Quoth Darkmage View Post
                  I still do not understand why someone would want a different electronic device then the one that was just opened and shown to actually be working.
                  Wouldn't it be poetic justice if they got the unopened one home, and it was defective?

Regarding the first story, I also got one of those customers who simply "didn't feel like paying that much," and if I hadn't experienced it myself, I might have been somewhat skeptical about your story.

It was at the home improvements store, and he was looking at some doors. He saw me and asked me to get him a manager so he could ask him about getting a lower price on a door. I asked why, was it damaged in some way. He said no, he just didn't feel like paying that much.

To his credit, he was polite about it, and he asked for a manager instead of expecting me to have any kind of control over the price. I had other customers to tend to, so I didn't get to stick around and witness the exchange between the customer and the manager. I did, however, walk past the office later, and overheard the manager talking about some idiot who wanted a discount for no reason whatsoever. I'm pretty sure I knew which customer he was talking about.
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                    Regarding the first story, I also got one of those customers who simply "didn't feel like paying that much," and if I hadn't experienced it myself, I might have been somewhat skeptical about your story.
                    I remember helping out one guy who wanted to haggle on the price of tires. Fine, big boy. You wanna dance? I can dance!

Naturally, I refused to give him any type of discount (as per company policy) as the tires were not damaged, were not discontinued, and not previously returned. The kicker? The tires he was haggleing over were already on sale for 25% off! After a while, he stopped asked for a(nother) discount on the tires, and then wanted free balancing ($10/tire-pretty piddly when the tires were about $100-110, on sale) or free installation (which was free anyways if he'd bought the tires from us). When I reapeatedly said no to that, he started to ask for freebie extras-oil change, roadside safety kit, tire pressure gauge, etc. Took me about 15 minutes to convince him that he would have to pay the same price as everybody else.
                    I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
                      You wanna dance? I can dance!
                      You can dance?

*runs and hides*
                      Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Quoth PuckishOne View Post
                        You can dance?

*runs and hides*
                        Well, OK. "Dancing" is a word that's a bit strong-perhaps "jerking spasms" or "is the reason why quadrapeligics are thankful for the position they are in" is a bit more accurate.

Actually, now that I think about it, it kinda looks like this:
                        I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
                          Actually, now that I think about it, it kinda looks like this:
                          WOOT!!! I finally found me a dancing partner!!!

Back on topic: I was once behind a haggler at a tire place. I got tired of listening to him so did this at the clerk and said "whatever that guy gets free...I want double because of the time I've spent listening to him. And those guys behind me? They want triple free stuff.

Do you even have the authorization to do this or is this guy just wasting everyone's time?"

The clerk looked at the line and said "This is one of the main reasons I cannot do what you want. Now if there is anything else I can help you with, please say so now because I need to serve my other customers."

SC grumbled and cursed, but left the line. I stepped forward and saw that SC's sale invoice was for 4 retreads (yes, I can read upside down and sideways).

So, the SC was trying to bling his car out with freebies for the cheapest tires the place had to offer.

When I went back to pick up my jeep, there was a bag full of freebies in the driver's seat and they had put my tires on just as I had asked. I guess I made some friends by demanding free stuff cause they could have "misunderstood" my request that the black side of the tires should be what people see. (I don't like to do unpaid advertising on my vehicles or body. Its just something that bugs me, so I don't do it.)

Comment

Working...
                          X