This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Brain Cells Die of Loneliness?

I told a phone customer I was going to email some information and got his email address. I told him to look for the email in a few minutes and to call us if he didn't get it. I explained that was in rare case I mistyped his email address or it got caught in his spam filters, etc.

He replied, "Can't you call me if I don't get it?"

OK. We all have momentary brain cramps. I always assume I am dealing with a reasonably intelligent person who just had a "duh" moment. I can handle that diplomatically. Most of the time the customer has a good laugh about it and life goes on.

So I replied, "I'm afraid I wouldn't have any way to know if you did or didn't get the email unless you tell me."

I was expecting to hear the click of the light bulb going on, but instead I heard, "So you won't call me? What if I don't get the email?"

"Well, then give us a call and we'll send it again or find another way to get the info to you."

"Why do I have to call you? Shouldn't you be calling me?"

"How would I know you didn't get the email?"

"I just don't think I should have to call you."

"You won't need to if you get the email. We will only need to know if you don't."

"Well. I don't know."

"If you like you can stay on the phone. I'll put you on hold while I compose and send it and then you can confirm whether you got it before we end this call."

"I really can't wait that long."

I finally agreed to call him 15 minutes after sending the email to make sure he got it. He seemed happy with that.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

I would have sent him a virus and labeled it 'OPENTHISFILE.EXE'
    Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

Quoth Acolyte View Post
      I would have sent him a virus and labeled it 'OPENTHISFILE.EXE'
      See, that really helps nobody-Dips, because he could have lost his job, and the customer, because, well, lets face it: That guy doesn't need any help screwing things up.

Dips, approximately 15 minutes after the original phone call:
      I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
        I always assume I am dealing with a reasonably intelligent person who just had a "duh" moment.

*breathes* Whew . . . made my day . . .
        ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
          OK. We all have momentary brain cramps. I always assume I am dealing with a reasonably intelligent person who just had a "duh" moment. I can handle that diplomatically. Most of the time the customer has a good laugh about it and life goes on.
          I always assume the exact opposite. That the customers (or sometimes coworkers) I'm dealing with are the biggest morons alive that just happen to have a spark go off inside those empty shells they refer to as their heads.
          "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

I'm such a hopeless optimist.

After we decided I would call him I soooo much wanted to tell him that if he didn't get the phone call after 15 minutes to send an email to dips@company.com and I would confirm receipt of the first email another way.

I didn't. First, he probably wouldn't get it. Second, another round would have made me tired.
            The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
            X