This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irony has driven me to satellite

Last spring, the company I work for was bought up by a considerably larger company. Yesterday, months after the sale, there was an accident (not caused by us) that caused a major cable and internet outage in town.

Caller: Wouldn't you say that's a little ironic?
    Me: Ironic... how?
    Caller: The company gets sold, and suddenly there just happens to be an accident. I don't know about you, but I think that's a little ironic.
    Me: The company was sold months ago, and today there was an accident that had zero to do with us, except that our line was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don't think it's a little ironic. I don't even think it's a tad ironic. I think it's, you know, stuff happens.
    Caller: I think it's very ironic.
    Me: Okay, but I majored in irony... well, sort of. I wouldn't even say this rises to level of coincidence.
    Caller: I just think I should call the satellite company in the morning... if you know what I mean.
    Me: Honestly, I don't have the slightest idea what you're getting at.

I'm just trying to imagine her call to the satellite company:

Representative: And may I ask why you're switching to satellite?
    Caller: Irony.
    Representative: I hear that from a lot of cable customers. Rest assured that satellite is 100% irony free.
    I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

I think that it's ironic that you posted that here.

Okay, I really don't think that, and it's not even close to being ironic. But I figured that it would suit the stupidity of the caller in the OP.
    I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Yet another idiot who can't tell the difference between "irony" and "coincidence".
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I remember a short story called

God is an Iron

A glutton is one who commits gluttony
        A felon is one who commits a fellony
        God is an Iron
        because life is Irony
        "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

I'm trying to figure out how that's ironic....

I'm getting as far as figuring out the irony in that song of Alanis'.

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
            I'm trying to figure out how that's ironic....

I'm getting as far as figuring out the irony in that song of Alanis'.
            The irony in that song is that absolutely nothing in that song is ironic. The exact opposite of what you would expect in a song about irony!
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Pardon me for being a geek, but why the hell would some switch from broadband to satellite? And then expect a CSR to give rats ass over an idle threat...LMAO
              see ya...enjoy your "better" bandwidth.

Here's a new hat to stop the government/aliens from probing your tiny skull
              "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

I agree. This is not irony at all, but neither is it a coincidence. It IS just stuff happening.
                "If it offends one person, it effects everyone".....me, on the PC world in which we dwell.

Comment

What I'm curious about is why it was such a big deal to the customer that this was so ironic.

What, did the customer have some kind of free service entitlement that he was waiting to spring on you the moment you agreed that it was indeed ironic?

But sadly, it was probably just another case of nolifeititis....
                  "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
                  -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

"Great! I finally get my license, and Mom loses the car! How ironic!"

"Meg, don't talk like that! Your mother is not an i-ron!"

Ironically, this has nothing to do with the original post either. I just couldn't resist throwing a Family Guy quote out there.
                    Sometimes life is altered.
                    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                    Uneasy with confrontation.
                    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Irony - The most misused/abused word in the English language.

Comment

From one of the movies I enjoy (Con Air)--

"Define irony: a bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash."

Ah, Garland Greene, you little-girl's-head-as-a-hat wearing freak...
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I wonder what would have happened if you had just agreed to shut him up:

You: Ok, sir, if you say so, I suppose it's ironic.
                          SC: Ah-Ha! You admit to the irony! Now you must give me free cable for life! Mwahahaha!

I hate it when SC's try and get you to agree with them about stupid things like that. I've never actually done it, so I don't really know what they are trying to accomplish. My best guess, though, is that if you agree with the ridiculous statement they will then use that as "ammunition" in the war on rational thought that SC's wage on a daily basis.
                          Dips: The best karma happens when you let a jerk bash themselves senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

Quoth Battyone View Post
                            Irony - The most misused/abused word in the English language.
                            That is the gospel truth. Half the time I hear it used, it's used by someone who has no idea what it means.

Comment

Quoth dragonflygrrl View Post
                              I wonder what would have happened if you had just agreed to shut him up:
                              Probably along the lines of what you said. I have a strict policy of avoiding all discussions of my opinion on a subject when on the phone with a customer. So far, it works pretty well. My responses are something along these lines:

SC: "blah blah blah blah, that's so ironic/unfair/silly/etc!" (for probably the third or fourth time)

Me: "If you say so, sir/ma'am. What we can do is blah, blah blah..."

SC: "Well, don't you think that's ironic/unfair/silly/etc?"

Me: "My opinion is irrelevant. What we can do is blah, blah, blah..."

Many people get the hint with one of those, I'm not going to enable them to set off that trap: If I agree with them, I put myself in the position of bad-mouthing policy, which can get me in trouble, and open myself up for the customer to ask for a favor. If I disagree with them, I set myself up for an argument where they try to convince me how right they are, and how wrong I am. I have no patience for either, so I avoid it altogether.
                              ...don't you know the first law of physics? "Anything that's fun costs at least $8.00."
                              - Cartman

Comment

Working...
                              X