Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought it was about time they ban diet coke and methos. It could bring the plane down
    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth ladydouji View Post
      The way I heard is that the liquid/gel had to be combined with a crystallized powder or gel to form the explosive, and that could be done with any water bottle not neccesarily one that was prepared before hand.
      but you can get water ON the flight.....

whats to stop them from using that?
      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

I dont have to worry about any of that crap because when we go on vacation we always drive. It's much cheaper than having to shell out hundreds of dollars for five tickets for each family member and without even a guarantee that we'll even get on the plane (overbooking abounds today). Aint worth it to me.

Comment

Here's how the setup worked:

The explosives were a bi-polar compound. Two components that are perfectly safe and harmless for transport. These were in plastic bottles and gels. Water was not part of the compound. (far too dangerous with water vapor in the air) Once they are combined, an electrical shock causes the detonation.

They were brought in on carry on luggage because they are not screened and if so, would still pass screening. If they were to put it in standard luggage, the (more elaborate) screening would have detected it, or it could have gone off prematurely. The idea was to get the explosion when they wanted it. That's also why they used the compound.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Legal Eagle View Post
            this is the current situation as regards carry on
            And today the rules are totally different...most likely in a couple of weeks the UK will be the same way the US is. The US decided that you can bring solid lipstick on the plane, but they're now making everybody take off and x-ray their shoes.

Comment

I hope they do not ban cell phones entirely. If something happens where I'm going to be delayed by weather etc. I would like to be able to let my mom know as soon as I know, as the airlines are generally not good at relaying that sort of thing until the person who is picking you up is already at the airport.
              Quoth Crazyredhead View Post
              I hope the airlines will be prepared for the people that had to put there laptops in there checked baggage. I have heard how the handlers throw the baggage around and laptops seems to be kinda fragile. It doesn't seem to take much of a bump to break one.
              That's what i was thinking, but acts of Ghod or war are not covered by airline baggage liability (so if they say to put your laptop in the cargo hold, and something happens to it you're SOL )
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Ive carried my laptop in my checked luggage 4 times

It goes RIGHT in the centre, with a layer of bubble wrap inside my coat with plenty of clothes on either side

nothings happened to it so far, you can also ask for your bags to be labelled "TOP LOAD" they are are at the top of the cargohold
                I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

My other concern about checking valuables is just the sheer amount of times you've heard of electronics and valuables disappearing out of cases while you're seperated from your luggage after it's checked.

Some of our troglodyte SCs have to work somewhere, and I think some of them are baggage handlers.

Comment

Working...
                  X