This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For whom the bell tolls

It tolls for me I think, at least it did this morning. I was covering front desk and went into the breakfast room to brew another pot of coffee for the guests. I soon heard the bell that sits on front desk ringing. I have worked here a year and no one has ever picked up that bell.

I see a blonde woman standing grinning like a moron who asks for extra towels I hand them over and go back to the breakfast room. No more than 15 minutes later I hear that blasted bell ring again, sure enough same woman this time asking about when checkout is. I understand ringing the bell the first time since she did not know where I was. But she saw me exit the breakfast room and re-enter it, instead of looking around the corner for me she chooses to ring the bell again.

An hour goes by I am at the desk taking a reservation on the phone when you guessed it, I heard the bell ring again. In near disbelief (since I was in plain sight behind the desk) I see the woman standing there, bell in hand, moronic grin on face. She takes one look at the expression on my face and sets it down. "I was just joking" she grumbled as she handed me her credit card. All I know is if I get anymore people with that kind of sense of humor that little bell is going to be a victim of a tragic woodchipper accident.
    My Horror Blog

Cinemania

She probably got a kick out of getting service for ringing a cute widdle bell; probably make her feel like a queen.
    ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

I used to like ringing those bells! Then I turned 6 and noises weren't as cool as they had been-but shiny things are still OK!

I'll bet you weren't feeling too sad when she checked out...
      I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

I love messing with people, by tapping my nails on the bell, so I can hear it ring, but it's not loud enough to call anyone. And then, I go over to someone who obviously works there to ask my question or whatever. At worst, I give the bell one ring, and get the hell away from it.
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth TruthHurts View Post
          All I know is if I get anymore people with that kind of sense of humor that little bell is going to be a victim of a tragic woodchipper accident.
          When I worked in a franchise restaurant as a cook, management got the bright idea to put a time clock in the kitchen window. Order tickets were time stamped when the waitress brought them, time stamped when we started cooking, time stamped when the food went into the window, and time stamped when the waitress picked up the food.

This went on for, oh, a couple of hours before the time stamp machine mysteriously fell to the floor and became inoperable.
          Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
          TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

yeah....Funny how things like that just "break".....

"I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

The customer service desk at work used to have a bell. It doesn't anymore. When I'm there for legitimate work business, and there's no customers at the counter, I'll say, "Ding ding!" and wait for a coworker to appear from the back room.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

God I hate that bell. There have been times when I've hidden it just so nobody else can get their hands on it.

What's worst of all is little kids who ever so slyly reach up to ding it, although come to think of it, what's even worse than that is teenagers who do the same thing.

Bottom line, it's there to summon the desk clerk, not annoy him or her. You're not being cute when you ring it with the clerk standing right there. Rather, you're being a pain in the ass.
                Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                  The customer service desk at work used to have a bell. It doesn't anymore. When I'm there for legitimate work business, and there's no customers at the counter, I'll say, "Ding ding!" and wait for a coworker to appear from the back room.
                  Hahaaha. HAHAHAAH. That made my day. I can only imagine it and it is hilarious.

Comment

try this one out.............. 6-8 of those ding-a-lings (not sure if its the patients or bells ) ringing at the same time. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    talk bout somethin that drives ya up the wall

fizzy
                    SMILE........You'll get wrinkles!!!!

who wants to be sane in an insane world

Comment

I always think about those bells when someone rings the service bell at the drivethru. It makes every phone in the pharmacy ring. Drives me nucking futz.

Normally, I don't mind if I'm legitimately not near the window, but the people that ring it when I'm standing right there, visible through the window get to see me shut off the ringer on the phone, give them stinky poop eye look, and wait while I type in a script. I also love the people that drive up, I'm already on the phone and starting on the "hi, how can I help you" blurb, and they reach over to ring the bell. Look up, idjit, you don't NEED to ring for service if someone is already there! AAAAUUUUGGGHHHH!

Unlike you guys though, I can't take the bell away. I can, however, hide the super annoying toys behind other things so I don't have to listen to them anymore.

Comment

I work at this crafters mall/antique store place like 2 days a month. (part of my contract as a vendor)Anyways, theres a bell on the front counter that the employee will ring, when one of us vendors is needed to wrap something, or help with loading etc for a customer. There was this one employee who would just lay on that bell! Seriously, one ring was enough. Even if we were wandering around at the back of the store, we could hear the bell. Ringing it 5times in a row doesnt make it louder, just more annoying! But she would just "DING" "DING" "DING" "DING" "DING"
                        She doesnt work there anymore, so its a little quieter now........
                        WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
                          Unlike you guys though, I can't take the bell away.
                          If it's one of those standard bells, get some thick paper. Cut a strip, slide in that crack, it don't have to be a circle you just need the paper to get between the hammer and the metal plate. That will mute the bell very nicely, if you leave a small tab of the paper sticking out. You can pull the paper out if they go complain the bell isn't working
                          I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

I suppose there's no legal problem with muting that kind of bell, but I wonder if anything happened to the office that stuffed tissue visibly into the overly loud red fire bell by someone's desk. Ah well, I guess someone will have to sue for discrimination against oversensitivity until that law (which I asssume exists) changes. (But Quincy had a show on this over 20 years ago--no changes yet? )
                            I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
                              If it's one of those standard bells, get some thick paper. Cut a strip, slide in that crack, it don't have to be a circle you just need the paper to get between the hammer and the metal plate. That will mute the bell very nicely, if you leave a small tab of the paper sticking out. You can pull the paper out if they go complain the bell isn't working
                              No, it's an electrical system whereby when someone pushes the Big Red Button O' Joy outside, it makes every phone in the pharmacy start ringing very loudly.

Comment

Working...
                              X