This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth zzapp the witch View Post
    And here I am still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with a debt to a notorious car manufacturing company's credit people. They've been after me for the five years since my husband's death for a debt my husband incurred.

They want me to pay them $14,000.00 on a $4000.00 truck my husband had repoed.

The only reason I signed that damned contract was so he'd stop beating me that night. No, I don't know why he needed or wanted me to sign it, I just know my ribs were black and blue and I was half bald when I signed it.

No, he wasn't a nice person, may he rot in Hell for eternity.

When I told them the circumstances of my signing all I got was, "Would you like me to set up a payment plan for you?" Not without a fucking car in my driveway you twit.
    1) You were not of sound mind when entering into the contract and it is not legally valid.
    2) You entered the contracted under duress.

Also, to the original poster. YOU DID THE RIGHT THING. How did they probably weigh the coins? Weigh 100 coins, which is $1, then the entire pile and divide it by 100.

I had a bank, CIBC, piss me off - all my PayPal transactions would be reversed after around 2 weeks with no explanation, so I've paid around $300 of "reversal" fees. I can now close the account with no fee, so my balance of $1000 at another bank will conveniently turn into pennies, dimes, nickels, quarters, loonies and toonies, will be deposited at CIBC then withdrawn into $5 bills.

EDITAdvice for anyone who has a collection agency go after them for a debt that isn't yours: MAIL them a letter (registered mail) requiring written proof of debt within 10 days, or the debt will be considered written-off and abandoned,
    Last edited by prb; 01-29-2008, 12:26 AM.
    Otaku

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
      Ok, a few fun facts about debt collectors and phone calls.

First off, a debt collector is prohibited from even hinting that you owe them to anyone but you. Violation of this one single rule equals immediate absolution of the debt. This came about because unscrupulous debt collectors would call people's places of business in an attempt to shame them into paying. So, yeah, if they tell your mom that you're a "deadbeat," you no longer owe them anything.

Second, nobody is allowed to call you once you have told them they are not to call. This goes for absolutely everybody, whether they have business with you or not. If they call even a single time, you are free to file a harrassment charge against them. Do it. Not only do they get hit with a fine, but often, that fine goes to the person being harrassed. I threatened AT&T with a harrassment charge to get them to stop calling me. And when they became my primary phone company and called me again, I repeated my threat. I never heard a peep out of them for the next two years I still had their service. And the one bill collector that was rude and vile over the phone to me? I threatened to prosecute his company as well, and he tried to bluster about me not having that power, but curiously enough, he also never called me back.

^-.-^
      thanks, andara, for setting things straight.

good post.

i think the original poster's story is BS.

Comment

I'm sure you're aware there are machines that will sort out coins so you don't have to count them by hand?
        Secret Shopper RN

Comment

Quoth Secret Shopper View Post
          I'm sure you're aware there are machines that will sort out coins so you don't have to count them by hand?
          There are. And they're VERY COOL to watch.
          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

i agree, i don't tell family members anything but my name, where i am calling from (if they ask), and a number to call me back at. I can ask if they have a way that i can get hold of the person, but if they don't then they don't. I will never harrass anyone, it is just more of a investigation type thing. I won't know if they have a new number or address for them if I don't ask.

Comment

Im not going to give my opinion on the matter (mostly because i dont know what my opinion is)

but i will give you this *HUGE HUG!* life suck. being in debt sucks even more. I hope for the best with you, and i really hope you get through this hard time. keep your chin up cheeko!

and zzapp the witch, im honestly going to say that im happy ur husband is gone. NO ONE deserves to be treated like you were! NO ONE!!!!
              im proud of you for not giving up! you go girl! dont ever let anyone get you down! not even the people at the womens shelter.

well theres my 2 bits. take it for what its worth.
              it's said that no sane person could bite another person and draw blood. I've done it before, but then again sanity has always been questionable in our family.

Comment

Quoth zzapp the witch View Post

The only reason I signed that damned contract was so he'd stop beating me that night. No, I don't know why he needed or wanted me to sign it, I just know my ribs were black and blue and I was half bald when I signed it.
                Yanno, that counts as "coercion".... Dunno if you can do anything about that now but if you ever got charges pressed....

Comment

While there may be no statute of limitations on debt overall, there IS a statute on how long it can remain on your credit report - often times, that is 7 years. After that time, then it's really not a bother, and thanks to Caller ID, it makes it even easier to avoid those who come back after these 10-15 year-old things, thinking they can get a payment out of you, and reset the statute.

Know your credit rights, and protect diligently!
                  Who is this rectal-cranial inverted twit....and where is my sledgehammer??

Comment

you sir, are a god.

may i smelt a golden idol of you?

and this is nothing to what i would do to these people. shawn, i'm sorry, but once i saw one of you people reduce my mother to tears, your kind became my enemy. and my enemies deserve no mercy.

be happy you people dont have to come door to door anymore.
                    http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...inalcopy-1.png

Comment

Quoth Auto View Post
                      i think the original poster's story is BS.

Quoth Secret Shopper View Post
                      Yes, and I'm also just as sure that any office dealing with payments on a regular basis would buy at the least a cheap one, making this a sad revenge at best.
                      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                      X