Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But...how do they ALL manage to do it?

90% of the time, when a customer sticks their card in the machine up at my register, they put it in the wrong way. Not a big deal, but it just amazes me that nearly ever single person who comes through does this. There's an animation that shows, very clearly, which way to put the card in, but I guess people are in too big of a hurry. Ugh, it just gets annoying to constantly hear that "error" beep followed by, "Looks like it doesn't like my card, ha ha!"
    Last edited by Despina83; 10-10-2007, 09:50 PM.

I hated that when I worked for Kroger. That and "oh, I hit 'no' because I thought it meant 'no' for cashback . . . (When the buttons are separately labeled "yes," "no," and "cashback") oops! Hahaha!"
    ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

I just wish the companies that make the machines would all get together and decided which way is the right way!
      Shamus: Why hasn't anybody designs a cranium-anus extraction kit yet? It seems that so many people suffer from a improperly-stored head.

Comment

I have to admit, I constantly hit the wrong button when I go to Best Buy. ALL the other credit machines have the "Ok" button in the bottom right corner...at Best Buy, that is the CANCEL button...so inevitably, I hit cancel EVERY.FREAKING.TIME.

Comment

I guess no one has monopolized the card reader machine business because there are no two alike anywhere in my town. Everywhere you go they are all different. Heck, I went to a gas station the other day that has 4 of them on their counter. One for credit cards, another for debit cards, another for EBT (food stamps) and another for something else...I'm not sure which.

It does get confusing. Especially for us old folks.
          Retail Haiku:
          Depression sets in.
          The hellhole is calling me ~
          I don't want to go.

Comment

what i always say: "Swipe with the stripe facing to the right once it says swipe."

what i notice: they swipe right after i say "swipe with" and then my pinpad doesnt read it......
            Fan? This is shit. Shit? Meet fan.

Comment

Quoth magiccat26 View Post
              I have to admit, I constantly hit the wrong button when I go to Best Buy. ALL the other credit machines have the "Ok" button in the bottom right corner...at Best Buy, that is the CANCEL button...so inevitably, I hit cancel EVERY.FREAKING.TIME.

Oh, I have done that...at the GAS station.... but it wasn't the cancel button or anything. I accidently got premium gas instead of regular, because I wasn't at my regular gas station and they had the buttons in a different order. My dumbass mistake cost me a lot. lol

People ALWAYS swipe their cards the wrong way where I work, and they always hit cancel for credit, even though the machines are labelled with directions on both. It's irritating, but I do get that people are sometimes on auto pilot at the registers. But I love the signs, because I can point to them and then the customer will go "oh shoot, I guess I should have read first". And I don't have to be snotty. Without the sign, they don't know, especially if they aren't frequent customers of our store...apparently everywhere else you push "NO" for credit, so I forgive 'em. Some.

Because all the signs really do is give me something to point at. lol. But I've learned that the less I talk to the customers, the better.

My favorite is when they swipe their card while I'm still scanning their crap...and stare at the machine... "it's not doing anything!"

Well, duh, I haven't finished scanning, I haven't hit total. I haven't hit charge.... It's going to say "processing" until I finish what I'm doing. They always get pissy too.

They ask, at the beginning of the transaction : "Can I swipe my card now?"

"Sure, but it will not do anything until I finish over here", is what I answer...

So, they swipe their card, and nothing happens....and they whine ..."IT's NOT DOING ANYTHING!"... GRRR.

Over and over.
              you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Quoth Department stores *sigh* View Post
                what i always say: "Swipe with the stripe facing to the right once it says swipe."

what i notice: they swipe right after i say "swipe with" and then my pinpad doesnt read it......
                Well, that's when you change your instructions. Instead of starting with the whole "swipe" part (because we know SC's don't listen much better than they read), you go with "Wait until it tells you to swipe, then swipe with the stripe facing to the right."

So, if they can't manage to listen to the end, they've got the "wait" part as the first instruction.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                  So, if they can't manage to listen to the end, they've got the "wait" part as the first instruction.
                  Sounds like you're dealing with dogs
                  "Wait!.....now Swipe....PIN...gently!.....Who's a good SC? yes he is"

*Pats SC and hands a treat over*
                  Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post
                    Sounds like you're dealing with dogs
                    "Wait!.....now Swipe....PIN...gently!.....Who's a good SC? yes he is"

would that be a SC, or a well train... wait, who am I kidding, DECENTLY trained customer?
                    Shamus: Why hasn't anybody designs a cranium-anus extraction kit yet? It seems that so many people suffer from a improperly-stored head.

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post

You'd touch them?
                      "Ah, he's not the first psycho to hire us, nor the last. You think that's a commentary on us?"

Comment

Quoth Sparkticus View Post
                        You'd touch them?

Hmmmm - point....

Maybe tongs and balance it on their nose
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Working...
                        X