This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nope, still doesn't work

As some of you know, I work with coin-op amusement devices. Some time ago, I was managing an arcade. Well, at the time I was fairly new to the technical end of things. I had a pinball that was acting up-- some problem with voltages.

In the stages of diagnostics, I disconnected some wires going to a switch that got pushed when the front door (the one the tokens get put in) closed. I found that that shut down the game entirely, so I put the wires back on.

(In case you care, the switch there is called an interlock switch, and its function is to, when the door is opened, shut off all power to the underside of the playfield that's strong enough to zing you. Kind of important, but hey, that didn't get covered in training. Pinballs in general didn't get a lot of coverage.)

It turns out that I put the wires on wrong. There were four wires: 50 volts to the switch, 50 volts back to the circuit boards, 20 volts to the switch, and 20 volts back to the circuit boards. The different voltages ended up being crossed.

At this point, tt was getting busy, and the game still didn't work, so I shut it off. And forgot about it, until about an hour and a half later, when I finally got through the line of customers and needed to go back to the office.

Smoke was pouring out of the pinball. A lot of smoke. Game goes back off, and gets unplugged this time.

I can't really blame the person that turned the game on. He was just testing to make sure it really didn't work-- enough idiots will screw around in an arcade, and the location of the power switches on pinballs isn't exactly a heavy secret. But for crying out loud, couldn't someone have come up to me and told me a game was on fire?

(As a final note, the game was able to be salvaged. Mostly what I did was melt a couple of large capacitors. Fortunately, they were large enough that as the goop inside dripped out their tops, it missed the rest of the board. Did make a awful, stinky mess in the bottom of the cabinet. But let me tell you... I learned something that day!)

Gotta love it when random things at work start burning.

Best of my fire at work stories was one day they were using an old style popper where the lid sits on top of the kettle on a rod and is pushed up as the popcorn starts popping.

One time, on a busy night, the lid got stuck. I was unfortunately nowhere near it when it happened, 'cause not one of the 4 staff could figure out what to do, and the popcorn caught on fire inside the kettle.

It eventually all got sorted out, no serious damage, just a seriously nasty smell. When the story was related to me, the first thing I said was "Why didn't you just unplug it?"

was the only response I got.

Fire pretty!
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

yay a fellow arcade monkey!! iv met the voltage of a pinball machine personally before, somthing was messing with the ball return so i opened it up to have a look, after i finished looking around i grabbed the top of the coin dooor to close it and YEOW!!! there was a wire that had been shut in the door on numerous occasions and subsequently partially stripped... didnt hurt much but scared me good

Comment

Ahh nothing like the smell of burnt electronics. One time in college I accidentally ran the 5 volt wires to the grounding pin of an integrated circuit... in addition to the 5V wires I'd already run to the inputs. As I dicovered the smell cleared my sinuses. It also made lunch taste funny
        Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Quoth Talon View Post
          Ahh nothing like the smell of burnt electronics. One time in college I accidentally ran the 5 volt wires to the grounding pin of an integrated circuit... in addition to the 5V wires I'd already run to the inputs. As I dicovered the smell cleared my sinuses. It also made lunch taste funny
          Then there was the time I learned that "a ground is a ground is a ground" only counts with DC. You can't run DC ground to (AC) field ground. That was an interesting learning experience, too.

Comment

Heh. That reminds me. A few years back, when I was just getting seriously into computers, I had an old 486 to play around with. My friend and I decided to try and install a sound card. However, it had several stripped wires, as did the power supply. Eh, we'll just seperate it.

Not so much.

We turned it on, went to get drinks, and came back to find my room filled with smoke. Woo, flaming 486!
            Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

Y'all nuts. Man I've never gone that nuts. The worst I've done is shock myself, both DC and AC. If you have a choice, go with AC. Good DC amp makes for creative cussing.
              I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Heh, that reminds me of several electronic devices I have fried. The first one was a printer, before I knew what polarity was. I had a Radioshack [I always shopped there when I was younger, might be why I went to work for one] 3-12v @ 1A universal power adapter. Long story short -- reversed polarity and fried printer...first smell of ozone.

As/For fire at work, this calls for the story of the flaming scanner.

This was about 3 months before my store closed, we had not started the sale yet. A gentleman purchased a PRO-95 Handheld scanner, Rechargable batteries, and a power adapter, my manager Mike set it all up for him and the customer brought it home. The next day the Customer walks up to me and says that it is not working properly. I take out the 1.2x4 NiMh battery pack and plug it in with no batteries, no juice. I then put in the 1.5x4 alkaline battery pack, the radio turns on...and then i smell ozone, I mutter "no" under my breath, as smoke starts pouring from the scanner.

Now before I continue this story I must say that all things electronic intrigue me, and always have. I have a great tech affinity, but we all do stupid things. That being said...

...I opened the scanner up, and didnt see any scorch marks, so I decided to drop the battery pack back in while the scanner was open...now, instead of just a trickle of smoke, this thing just starts pouring out black smoke...and even after I took out the batteries it continued to smoulder. The store smelt like burned electronics for the next 2 days.

Now, any sane person would throw this scanner away, right? Nope, thats not the Radioshack way. The item was marked as "Return to RS Repair" so we had to write a repair ticket. I wrote, on the ticket, "ITEM POURS SMOKE/FIRE HAZARD - PLEASE SCRAP". What do they do? THEY FIX THE THING AND SEND IT BACK! Just in time for liquidation.

Finally one more fire at work story. We had a microwave in the back room, and my manager had Chinese food leftovers. He was smart enough to take it out of the metal tin and place it on the plastic top to the tin. He wasn't smart enough to realize that the plastic tops of those things are far from microwave safe. Now, I am in the "conference room" at the time, and thats in our back room. As I get ready to leave the room I see black smoke under the door. I bolted out, and ran to the microwave...and there it was...a mass of melted plastic, and Sesame Chicken, which had caught flames and started charring.

Thankfully the store didnt burn down either time, and we proceeded to close down without burning down.

Comment

Just a couple of weeks ago, I was vacuuming out our dining room when all of a sudden, the vacuum just exploded.

It didn't suck up anything large or anything that would damage it...all of a sudden there was just a really loud POP and the dining room filled with smoke.

The fire department even stopped by to make sure everything was okay. They said they were getting calls from people driving by about a possible fire :P

The repairmen didn't even replace the thing either...they just replaced the belts and gave it back to us to use today.

Can't wait to try using it again. God forbid I try to get it to suck up a spoon wrapper...there will probably be an explosion big enough to blow me a few feet back

Comment

Quoth Battyone View Post
                    ran to the microwave...and there it was...a mass of melted plastic, and Sesame Chicken, which had caught flames and started charring.

Yummy! Cajun Sesame Chicken!

Comment

It happened to me twice at work.

The one that was my fault - installing a replacement power supply into a system. Unfortunately, I hooked up the power for the floppy drive wrong (missed one pin). Case was small, it looked like it was hooked up OK, so I started the system...and watched smoke come out until I turned off the power supply. The floppy drive power cable was burned so I had to get another supply, but at least the floppy drive were still functional.

The other one, I was finishing up reinstalling Windows on an ancient Pentium II system. I was having difficulty finding drivers for the soundcard. Thought I found the right ones, downloaded and installed, and right after the install, I saw smoke coming from the soundcard.

I never seen wrong drivers responsible for burning a hole in the sound card processor before. Fortunately, we had an old comparable soundcard in our stash to replace it.

Comment

calling Pentinum II ancient.

Wow, that was a good laugh. Thanks I needed that
                        I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

I haven't fried too many computers...but some of my train stuff is another story.

I'd just cleaned up one of my older locomotives, an old Baldwin RF16 diesel, similar to this one: http://rr-fallenflags.org/dh/dh1205as.jpg, when smoke started pouring from the cab I knew Tyco models had a reputation for this...but this was ridiculous. At least nothing, other than the motor, was damaged. As I was taking it apart for salvage purposes, I found out what happened--one of the gears jammed, which caused the motor to overheat and fry itself. That was years ago, and that particular engine is now sitting on my desk.

Other possible causes of fires include derailments--the metal wheels can short out across the tracks. However, other than a few sparks, it's not too serious--the power supply's "overload" function kills power before it can damage anything.
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Talon View Post
                            One time in college I accidentally ran the 5 volt wires to the grounding pin of an integrated circuit... in addition to the 5V wires I'd already run to the inputs.
                            In my circuits lab, the group across from me either mixed up + and - or got confused about which pin was pin 1, I'm not quite sure. Anyway, they managed to have the polarity reversed across the power pins. Reversing the polarity doesn't fix things: another way life is not like <I>Star Trek</I>.
                            All glory to the hypno-toad.

Comment

Quoth RogueOne View Post
                              Yummy! Cajun Sesame Chicken!
                              I don't think that's what they mean by "blackened" chicken
                              GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
                              X