Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Co-worker and Manager stop straw purchase.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co-worker and Manager stop straw purchase.

A little info before we start
    A straw purchase is a situation in which a buyer uses an intermediary (a "straw purchaser") through which to acquire one or more firearms from a licensed firearms dealer. The purpose is to hide the identity of the true purchaser or ultimate possessor of the firearm(s). Straw purchases and theft are common ways that prohibited people, such as convicted felons, obtain firearms.

In the United States, straw purchases are a felony violation of the Gun Control Act of 1968 for both the straw purchaser (who can also be charged with lying on Federal Form 4473) and the ultimate possessor.
    A few days ago we had someone try to make a straw purchase at the Wal-Mart I work for. A man had a Mossberg Plinkster on layaway and came to buy it. He paid off the layaway and want to do the 4473. NICS denied the sale right off the bat. The man was "shocked" and my co-worker gave the man the info so he could dispute the denial if it was an error. Now here is where the stupid starts to show. The man says he doesn't need the info, he will just have his brother come in and buy it. Of course my co-worker tells him that that is illegal and to get in contact with NICS to get the error corrected. The man says OK, goes and cancels the layaway and leaves. My co-worker thinks that mabee the man just wasn't up oo the US gun laws, but lets our manager know anyway just in case they try a straw buy.

OK, not even 3 hours this large family comes in and lo and behold they want to buy a Mossberg Plinkster without even asking any questions, looking at what else we carry, even taking a look at the gun in the display case. (Note: The Mossberg Plinkster may be cheap, but we do not sell many of them at my store. Most people buy Marlins, Rugers, or Henrys.) They talk to the same co-worker who denied the first sale. Alarm bells are going off already and my co-worker asked to see ID so they can photocopy it for records. Now we get into, "Tales of the Criminaly Stupid".

Not only does the man wanting to buy the gun have the same last name as the person we denied the sale to earlier, they have THE SAME ADDRESS. (Guess they didn't think that we saved denied 4473s.) Co-worker gets the manager who confronts them. They deny any relationship dispite the evidence and say they live in an apartment and it must be a neighbor. Sorry, my town is not that big, (50,000) that address is a single family home and nowhere near any apartments. (I got to look at both 4473's after they left.) By the way, if it was an apartment, then why isn't there an apartment number on your ID or 4473 sir? The manager and co-worker knew they where lying. Manager told them (In nicer terms) to get the hell out of the store before he called the police on them. They then unsuccessfuly tried to play the race card and finaly left. (They where Hispanic) Manager then wrote a note telling everyone not to sell to anyone with that address and/or last name. Manager is probably gona call the ATF on them as well.

I don't know if the first man was a criminal or if it was an error. But he certainly isn't getting it from us now, regardless of what NICS says.

Anyone else have stories like this? Do they really think we are that stupid?
    "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan
Working...
X