This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth thegiraffe View Post
    And those are the same people who don't sign the back of their credit cards because they're afraid of someone forging their signature. Well, if it's not signed, someone can sign it with THEIR signature, and then the signatures will match, right?

It's also annoying when someone pays with a check, we have to type the license number in, but the idiot won't hand me the license. Instead, they hold it far from my head. I don't have awesome vision, folks. It's easier (and more likely to be accurate - and trust me - you want the numbers put in correctly) if it's in front of my face. Gah.

/threadjack....now on to our regularly scheduled programming....
    Ah, the idiots who think that not signing card will prevent ID someone else from using it. They will just use it at a store with the self-swipe machine, self-scan or gas station. My store has the self swipe machines, but some idiots will thrust their ID and CC at me. I point out the un-signed or See ID make it an invalid card, try again with another form of payment.

Comment

Quoth Namrepus221 View Post
      And yes I've been asked to show ID even though my card is signed... it's just so old the ink has worn off the place where I signed it (you can still see a blue ink smudge where it read my name)
      Something a customer recommended to me once, sign your card and then put a piece of scotch tape. It prevents the signature from getting rubbed off. Gads, the things I learn while working retail.

'Course, this won't help you if you are one of those that rub the whole strip of. You might as well dig out the 'ol engraver then.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth mae View Post
        Ah yes, that's the law in Massachusetts too. Everyone in the group gets carded, even if it's just two people. I always have my ID ready anyway. I tend to look about ten years younger than I really am.
        NC is similar. If anyone in the group looks under 27 and are buying alcohol, EVERYONE is carded.

Don't have your ID? Tough . . . no alcohol for you.

If you leave and send one of the group back in, we can still refuse the sale as we still no proof that everyone in your group is at least 21.

Had 3 guys try this last New Year's Eve. They were buying a couple of bottles of champagne, but only one had ID on him.

They left without their bubbly (I snatched it up and put it under the counter where they couldn't reach) and one of them tried to sneak back in a few minutes later after they bitched and moaned on their way out the door about WM.

That one got busted and tossed out the door - still minus the champagne.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth chops View Post
          I've had that happen to me, too (on a debit MC that was used so much that the signature strip AND hologram were almost completely swiped off)...but I can understand where they're coming from. If the staff can't discern your signature, then they should double-check.
          I honestly don't mind being ID'd.

I use to work at a place where we had to see an ID for credit cards, but not Debit Cards. And we had to check the signature on both the ID and when they signed the slip, to be sure it was the same.

Now that I work at Wrong Aid, we only need a signature if the credit card purchase is over 25 dollars, but it doesn't matter anyway since since we don't check signatures, so how would we know if the card is stolen or not if it doesn't decline?

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
            Ah, the idiots who think that not signing card will prevent ID someone else from using it. They will just use it at a store with the self-swipe machine, self-scan or gas station.
            Or the theif could simply sign the card themselves, ensuring a match.

Back to the thread title... trying to get some kind of government support for my 87-year-old grandmother, we ran into the problem of not being able to prove she was over 60. She had no driver's licence (gave that up in her 70s after hitting three street signs in one day), no passport (it had expired 10 years previously) and no birth certificate (her mother burned it along with a lot of other important documents, due to the lack of support for the mentally ill in the 1930s).

We got a copy of her birth certificate, only to discover that for it to be valid you have to have it for at least 2 years.

Eventually one of the many people we were trying to deal with said "I can tell by looking at her that she's over 60, so I'll just tick the checkbox". It turned out they didn't need to keep copies of her IDs on file, it was just a checkbox on the computer saying "meets age requirements".

Comment

At the grocery store I work at, the policy is to card everyone. As someone newly legal, I appreciate that. Overall, most people don't mind. Most of the older 60+ women and men usually are flattered, but the worst are the 40-60 age range. They think just because they look old enough, they shouldn't have to be carded. The younger people don't care because they usually have it out anyways.

My dad came through my lane and was buying beer for company. He got offended when I carded him saying that we live in the same house and I know his birthday plus how much he hates his DL picture. My response was "ID is required, even when I know your age and birthday". Another customer a woman in her 60s was loudly complaining about our audacity to ask for her ID to a friend.

If we don't card everyone, we could lose our jobs, so everyone does it.

Comment

Working...
              X