Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To add to what Raps said, there was a time, under the previous ownership, where we had "Site supporter" memberships, which were used to help keep the site running. I think they cost something like $5 a month, and supporters got a few extra bells and whistles that regular members didn't get, like the ability to use custom titles, custom avatars, upload attachments, etc.

Most of the Site Supporters didn't give us any trouble, but we did get a few that thought that just because they sent a few bucks our way, they could act however they wanted. They were sadly mistaken, as we have banned a few of them during that time. I seem to remember one of them pissing the owner off so bad, that he banned the offender and gave his money back.

Yes, the former owner was hurting for money, but that didn't mean he was going to let people walk all over him just because they gave him some.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Nobody sells their soul for $5 a month.

Comment

So, wait, if there are no adverts, and no subscriptions....just who pays for this site? (No, that never occurred to me....I live in my own little world, where football is king, beer flows like water, and Kirsten Dunst has me on speed dial.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

I pay for it. The admins and mods give up their time voluntarily.

Rapscallion

Comment

Rap, you pay for all the site costs? Are they considerable? And do you take donations of any kind? After my recent vacation, I am in no position to offer any, but down the road, such a thing is definitely a pastability.

You, sir, are a saint.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
              Nobody sells their soul for $5 a month.
              Not true. No sane person will, but we all met SC that will.
              I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                Rap, you pay for all the site costs?...
                Why do people think I get so testy when there is such a lack of repsect for Raps and his requests?

Did the offenders really think I am just that bitchy?

Also, Juwl:
                I distinctly remember having that shot down in my re-introductory post a few hacks ago...
                I don't believe your suggestion was "shot down" as that really isn't Raps' style.
                I think it was more of a polite, "Thanks, but not at the moment" kind of things. There's a big difference in the way things are worded.
                Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                  Did the offenders really think I am just that bitchy?
                  You're not? :run far far away and hides:
                  I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

I'm fortunate enough to not need any assistance to keep this site going. From what I understand, I'm actually paying less for the server than Mr Slugger was, though I've had to learn the mystic arts of server maintenance the hard way with more than a few pointers from GBM - he's done much of the hard work.

The drawback is that it leaves me without as much time as I'd like to work on the place. I'm getting tales onto the front pages in batches, and I hope to do some thing evening. I need to get some more tales for the next batch of cartoons (next strip up tomorrow, and it involves someone who apparently looks like me). Fortunately, the weather's cooler, so I'm feeling more energised than lethargic.

We're getting about 450 posts on average per day, and about six people register on site a day - sometimes quite a few more, rarely less. I intend to build the site up more than that, though, but it's going to be a gradual process. I intend to do it without adverts on here.

All we ask is that people play nicely. We recently had to put the Admin and Moderator buttons up because people were claiming they didn't know who were mods, but that shouldn't have mattered - the general respect people should have had for others was lacking. It's a touch frustrating at times. If everyone behaves, this site should remain a haven for those who have to deal with customers. That's why we're here.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                      Also, Juwl:
                      I don't believe your suggestion was "shot down" as that really isn't Raps' style.
                      I think it was more of a polite, "Thanks, but not at the moment" kind of things. There's a big difference in the way things are worded.
                      Sorry, word choice... I meant to say, I posited that I hadn't been around since Mr Slugger started charging to post (or what I thought had happened...) And was told that had never happened.
                      I didn't mean to imply that Raps was viscious about it, he certainly wasn't.
                      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                      X