This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth batmoody View Post
    Exactly! It amuses me, and maybe someone can explain why people do this, when a customer is handed their receipt, right then and there, they have to mark through all those x's and 4 numbers, then they pocket the receipt. I've had people hold up the line, asking for a pen, just so they can mark out those x's. It's not even a copy I keep. Its their copy. Why?
    Bat, well usually when they cross it out, it is NOT just x's. It IS the full number. I am not sure if I have seen someone cross out the x's, though if I did it would not surprise me that much. Compared to some of the Darwin Awards winners I have dealt with, that would be minor.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      Sadly, there are a few bad apples who will try to rip people off with that information, but honestly, if you really want to do that, you can just copy down the information from the credit card itself. Trust me, there is enough time, and you can always blame it on a slow machine. No, I have never done this, nor would I, but it could be done, I am sure, and probably has.

And the funny thing is, the people who scratch out the number on the merchant copy of the credit card slip...well, they probably don't realize that the server can very easily reprint the damn slip to get those numbers.

I understand people being a little too cautious over their credit/debit cards (I, myself, may be a little too lenient), but if people are so worried over that number . . . why couldn't they just get the cash they want out of the ATM?

It seems you could do more damage with a check then you could with a partial credit card number, especially since some places make copies of checks at the end of the day. (I know we do).
      This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

There was a poster on CS a few hacks back who claimed he kept any money that children didn't realize they were suppose to get back.

That person is why I make sure I'm with my child if they are buying something with their own money, but I don't tell the cashier I'm making sure they aren't ripping my child off. I just stand there like I'm waiting for my child.
        Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth Misanthropical View Post
          There was a poster on CS a few hacks back who claimed he kept any money that children didn't realize they were suppose to get back.

That person is why I make sure I'm with my child if they are buying something with their own money
          When I have kids pay for something without a parent being nearby, I ALWAYS print a reciept.
          Last edited by Ree; 08-20-2006, 05:08 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting
          I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            Most modern credit card machines don't show the full number (if they show anything, it's a bunch of x's with only the last four numbers showing), but there are still plenty of places that print out the whole number on the credit card slip.
            At a gas station that's in a 10 or so mile radius from my house, they had this machine that would take a reading of the CC number and exp. date, and some of the employees would use the numbers to buy stuff online, etc.

Something else I thought of...I know that for certain credit cards, the first four or eight digits would always be the same, but the last ones would be different. It got to the point that at Goodwill, when the CC machine was out and I'd have to manually type in the numbers, I had the first digits of Visa, MasterCard AND Discover all memorized, and just looked at their last digits. Is that still the case?
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
              Something else I thought of...I know that for certain credit cards, the first four or eight digits would always be the same, but the last ones would be different. It got to the point that at Goodwill, when the CC machine was out and I'd have to manually type in the numbers, I had the first digits of Visa, MasterCard AND Discover all memorized, and just looked at their last digits. Is that still the case?
              I think it's diversified a bit, now the first digits identify issuing bank, or branch I believe, because it seems there is a pattern to the numbers when they are different.
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post

TCF bank cards, for example, have mostly the same digits except for the last four. Customers freak out when I tell them this.
                I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Working...
                X