Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Liar or a Traitor; either way, she's a bitch.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Liar or a Traitor; either way, she's a bitch.

It all started during one of the busiest parts of the after noon at The Convenience Store, wherein I'm trying to deal with a literal horde of people by myself. Even when busy, I don't slack on my ID checking in the least, which is what I think these two were hoping would happen. By "These two" I mean a likely under-age girl and her 20-year-old accomplice. Please note the use of us, we, and our, despite her original insistence that they're not for her.

Me: The Dude Abides.
    TB: The Buyer <Male>
    US: Underage Scammer <Female>

*They approach the counter with snacks, etc*

Me: *Start scanning* Anything else for ya?

TB: Two packs of Pall Malls.

Me: No problem. You two have your IDs?

TB: *produces his silently*
    US: *Just stands there*

Me: I'm going to need to see yours as well, Ma'am.

US: No, you don't! I'm not the one that's going to be smoking them!

Me: Sorry, but state law says if I card one person I have to card everyone. *White lie, but it gets most people to cough up*

US: Since when?

Me: As long as I can remember paying attention to carding laws. *IE, never. I just do what the boss says, which is card everyone who looks under 30 that's in the group.*

US: That's bullshit! I used to work at a gas station, and the law says NOTHING like that!

Me: That's as may be, but I still asked for your ID and neither of you are getting smokes until you show it to me.

US: You can't do that!

TB: *throws money on counter* Come on, we'll just buy somewhere else. We're not coming back here!

Me: *makes change while thinking Promise?* Here's your change. I'd say "See ya around", but since you're not coming back...

US: No, we're not leaving! You're going to sell us our cigarettes, right now! You can't not sell to us, we're customers!

*At this point, I go into my "don't fuck with me" attitude and voice*
    Me: I said NO, and that's final. I can refuse service for any reason that's not discrimination, and not wanting to show ID isn't a protected status.

US: YOU WILL SELL ME-
    Me: *Cutting her off with parade-ground level projection, without screaming* No. I WILL tell you to leave my store. I WILL call the cops if you're not off the property in two minutes. I WON'T change my mind just because you'd rather throw a hissy-fit than cough up your ID, assuming you even have a valid ID. Now get the hell out!

*TB and US then left in a sulk and a huff, respectively, and I spend the next few minutes apologizing to the rest of the line as they get to the front and being reassured by regulars that I did the right thing.*

Either she was a complete and total liar, or she was a convenience store worker and apparently didn't take anything away from it in the way of consideration for those that have to check IDs 100+ times a day. What do you guys think, liar or traitor to the cause?
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

I vote liar. If she were a traitor to the cause, as you put it, she would have had to have realized that you were not going to sell to her and her companion without seeing her ID, and thus would have produced it....if she had it. Which, from all that you reported of the conversation, she clearly did not.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

She is a true lier.
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Scammer and SC. Nicely handled.

Comment

Clearly she doesn't get enough homework.

Comment

i'd say filled to the rim with pure cs style bs.
            look! it's ghengis khan!
            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

That is a true CS-style liar. Potential scammer, too.

Nice work.

Comment

TOTAL liar. Any other convenience store clerk who appeared so underage looking would know to cough it up. Although back in my gas station days, I did run into the occasional clerk in their Kwik Trip shirt who would hassle me for carding them, saying "But I work at KWIK TRIP!" and I'd fire back "You don't have to be 18 to work there!"
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Well, plus if she was a convenient store employee (yeah right . . . ) she should have known the "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" rule. She can't force you to do anything, no matter how much money she would have thrown at the situation, especially when a law (somewhat) is involved.

I'd guess that she was a 100% Grade A bitch and a liar.
                  This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Now, I realize she gave herself away when she screamed that you would sell to HER and she was the one refusing the id for the cigs. but, and no offense to you, carding everyone in the group that look under 30 and not just the buyer? Does that mean if a 40 year old man comes in with say his 13 year old kid that you won't sell his cigs to him, because obviously his kid isn't over 18? Somehow that doesn't make sense, or maybe I'm just missing something.

Comment

Quoth vonkarolinas View Post
                      Now, I realize she gave herself away when she screamed that you would sell to HER and she was the one refusing the id for the cigs. but, and no offense to you, carding everyone in the group that look under 30 and not just the buyer? Does that mean if a 40 year old man comes in with say his 13 year old kid that you won't sell his cigs to him, because obviously his kid isn't over 18? Somehow that doesn't make sense, or maybe I'm just missing something.
                      The case of the 40yo guy and the 13yo kid is where the whole "At our discretion" bit of the rules comes into play.

Basically, baring extenuating circumstances, it's pretty obvious that it's a child/caregiver type relationship. In that situation I have no reason to believe that the 40yo is going to be doing anything other than lighting up one for himself. On the other hand, a peer/peer or bf/gf couple aprox. 3-4 years apart has a much more significant risk of the legal-age member of the group fronting to buy age restricted product for the underage member.
                      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                        The case of the 40yo guy and the 13yo kid is where the whole "At our discretion" bit of the rules comes into play.

Basically, baring extenuating circumstances, it's pretty obvious that it's a child/caregiver type relationship. In that situation I have no reason to believe that the 40yo is going to be doing anything other than lighting up one for himself. On the other hand, a peer/peer or bf/gf couple aprox. 3-4 years apart has a much more significant risk of the legal-age member of the group fronting to buy age restricted product for the underage member.
                        Ok, I just didn't think of it like that with the 3-4 year age difference. So true.

Comment

Working...
                        X