Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it too much to ask to put away carts and NOT leave baskets on the floor!?!?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it too much to ask to put away carts and NOT leave baskets on the floor!?!?

I work at a grocery store and one common problem I see among customers is that they often just leave shopping carts in the space b/t the checklanes and Customer Care which makes it much harder for everyone to move. Can't people take two seconds to put the shopping cart away? I mean, I do try to clear them out when I can but still, I only got two hands (I'm a checker/sometimes self-checkout guy so I can only clear the carts out when I have no customers).

But that's not the worst. I have seen customers constantly emptying hand baskets and leaving them in the middle of the checklane aisle!! This is why I always ask someone emptying a handbasket for me to take it so I can put it away (or at least at an empty checklane). I mean, don't they realize that leaving baskets in the middle of the aisle/floor can cause someone to step on one and trip?

Sheesh...

My store's front end is designed so idiotically that there's nowhere to put carts/baskets away when customers are done with them. As a result the front end is always extremely congested unless I can keep them from piling up (as long as you leave it clear it'll stay that way; as soon as one person leaves a cart, ten more do so...). One day it was so bad that the exit was completely blocked, and a customer actually had to ask, "do carts actually go here?!" all because people couldn't be bothered to walk 20 feet to put their crap away and avoid making my store a freaking fire hazard...

Comment

like Grand Central, only with carts!

I usually hate when most people don't notice where to place baskets, even when it's right in front of them (left side of the breezeway exit). Carts are especially fun when people just chuck them into the bank's ATM, benches, walls, middle of the walk path inbetween the registers and customer service, et al. -- when there is usually a few placed at the self-checkouts. People think they have no time to give up when it only takes seconds to being civil.

now, screaming children, there's another topic right there...
      HI, I'M NEW TO ALL OF THIS wave of approval ™©®

Comment

Most grocery stores around here have a nifty little nook at the front of each line (just under the belt) for empty baskets and every so often a bagger will go around and collect the baskets to put them back by the door. If there is no nook I always ask the cashier where I can put the basket or offer to put it back for them. Sheesh, cashiers deal with enough crap all day. The least I can do is make their jobs a bit easier.
        Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

At the grocery store where I used to work, there was no obvious place to put baskets. Our cashiers got pretty creative when it came to basket stacking. I used to ask them where I should put mine and they would just sigh, then just ask for it. I'd watch them put it some where sort of haphazardly because there was no where else. It took me a long time to realize that was the best policy because if I just stuck it somewhere out of the way, 20 other customers behind me would do the same thing. And cause a minor disaster. Eventually I gave up and became cart only...

Comment

Quoth mirth View Post
            At the grocery store where I used to work, there was no obvious place to put baskets. Our cashiers got pretty creative when it came to basket stacking. I used to ask them where I should put mine and they would just sigh, then just ask for it. I'd watch them put it some where sort of haphazardly because there was no where else. It took me a long time to realize that was the best policy because if I just stuck it somewhere out of the way, 20 other customers behind me would do the same thing. And cause a minor disaster. Eventually I gave up and became cart only...
            I actually keep a basket at the end of my register counterspace at all times just so that customers know where to put theirs. Otherwise people will put them wherever the hell thet want.

Comment

We (old job) would use the baskets to hold a bag frame steady, and just stack the baskets there, and I have had SC's put their baskets next to the stack.

Go figure.
              What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Ohhhh, golly. I remember that. The thing that used to drive me up a wall (and still does, matter of fact) is when there IS a place to put things, and people just ignore them. As a sacker, I had to walk more than a block to get carts on more than one occasion. The cart corrals are, apparently, decoration.
                We have enough youth. How about a "Fountain of Smart"?

Comment

I really wish people would put the baskets *gasp* back where they found them on their way out. That's happened, let's see...twice since I've starting working there in late May. It would be even nicer if they would take the liberty of unloading their own crap instead of making me do it, further straining my already incredibly sore back.

Comment

My issue is with the carts. People who simply can't be bothered to put their carts away drive me absolutely insane. Our store is constructed so as you MUST pass through the cart vestibule to both enter and exit the building. It is physically impossible to leave the store without walking through a room that is essentially dedicated to the storage of carts. So it's never made one bit of sense to me why some customers not only insist on refusing to put them back where they found them, but LEAVE them directly in the way of EVERY other customer in the store. I'm talking about people who unload their carts at my register, then, once I hand them their purchases, leave the cart right where they were standing -directly in front of my register! This completely blocks EVERYONE who wants to be checked out in my lane, and they are then forced to stand there while I leave my area and put the cart away for them. One woman once actually had the audacity to smile sweetly at me and say "I'll let you get that" as she left her cart completely blocking the entire aisle. Really? Is it that difficult to clean up after yourself? How were you raised that you think being this inconsiderate of everyone around you is okay? Even as an only child, I know better. :P

/rant.
                    Ahhh, that felt good.

Comment

Yes, I hate that as well. Normally, I will push my cart all the way to the end and park it where the groceries are normally bagged. Nine times out of ten, an employee will put the cart where it belongs. When I take my own groceries out to my car, I usually return it to the store, or at least put it in one of the cart returns. I don't want to unknowingly be the person that caused a dent or scrape to another person's vehicle.

On occasion, I have used the baskets, but I hand it to the cashier when I am done with it, or someone takes it for me. I never would leave it out for someone to trip over.

Comment

Working...
                      X