This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post
    Javarod, one thing in the Denny's waitress's defense: Denny', and a lot of other places like them, have a policy that the server has to follow where they drop the check immediately. This does not preclude you ordering more stuff, mind you....if/when you do, they will simply update the check and re-drop it. That is the store policy, not the attitude of the server at work there.

That being said, your server still socked great big hippo balls. If a server can't be bothered to check back with a table after the food arrives (preferably more than once), offer to refill drinks, be aware of what is going on in their section, or get the right order to the right table, then yeah, they kind of suck.

The 8 months I worked for Denny's was both one of the hardest and one of the worst serving positions I have ever had.
    Oh I know that about the check, it more fell into the last straw category, though that does assume we could get her to come back over so we could order more. The rest was what killed it, especially as there were at least 3 people on the floor, 5 tables and one person at the counter. Somehow I find it hard to believe that that counts as busy. Funniest restaurant experience was the one where the management was politely nudging us out the door for being there too long (hour and a half in the latter end of the dinner rush). It amused me to know end as both me and my mate were hungry and in a celebratory mood, this means appetizers, drinks, soft drinks, entree and desert, a bill totaling around 70 or so dollars and because of the good service the waiter was guaranteed a tip of at least $15. I doubt we're the only tipping customer in there, so we were definitely paying them for tying up a table before you add in the other tips they got during that time.
    Seph
    Taur10
    "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Just to remind everyone; I live in England. Waitress's tips are a bonus, not making up half their salery.

And I still don't see why I should suffer and not eat out; why shouldn't I treat myself now and then, just cuz some greedy wait staff person might miss out on a humungous tip cuz I can't afford to tip more than a few pounds? Complaining about this is to me like a cashier complaining about having to deal with people or a miner complaining about having to work in the dark. If you don't like it, work elsewhere.

By the way, please don't blast me for my opinion. I NEVER SAID I DIDN'T TIP, JUST THAT I ONLY TIP WHAT I CAN AFFORD.
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

The way I see it, someone eating at a place they know they can only afford by leaving a crap tip or not tip at all is a lot like stealing - except they're not even stealing from the company, they're stealing from a good person who did their best to serve them.

There are a wide range of restaurants with a wide range of prices, and NONE of them are a necessity in life. If someone can't even afford to pay the ticket w/o skimping on tips, then they need to go to a non-tipping restaurant (as in "fast food" or something along that line, where you're not actually waited on). If they can only barely afford that, then might I suggest that eating out not be the wisest financial decision right now?

If you are tipping at least 15% or live somewhere where waiters' salaries don't depend on tips, then go ahead with what you're doing.

But excusing skimping out with "I can't afford it" is transparent bull. If you really can't afford a few bucks for a tip, then you need to be saving your money and eating at home. It's not the end of the world to not be able to treat yourself because of your financial situation, and in some cases it can even be a lot nicer.
        The icon is a bunny with a spiked collar from some carpet ad.

Comment

I wouldn't say that making a living off of tips is about a server being "greedy." I don't think the discussion is about how much or little you tip, but what the justification is for not tipping at ALL. As it's a culture thing, I don't think that it will ever change, but I think it's a great point said about a page ago that you shouldn't expect the culture to conform to you if you travel. It does seem unfair that, at least here, some people go out to eat with the full intention ahead of time not to tip. Then it's just unreasonable. It may be harsh, but I've always had the mindset that if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to go out to eat. It's both emotionally and financially painful to provide a great attitude and phenomenal service to a table full of friendly guests who then leave you absolutely nothing in return for your effort.

Edit: Beaten by Napoleana who basically made my point much more eloquently

Comment

I never said I went to posh restaurants. Did you even read the rest of my posts, or are you just randomly posting attacks?

And once again, as the part of the post I capslocked and bolded doesn't seem to have been read; I. Do. Tip. All clear now?
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

No one said that. I only pointed out that there is a system of planning ahead for budget.

I was making a general point in response to what I had assumed was a general point from you about affording tips, since you'd already pointed out that tipping isn't a necessity where you live. Apparently, I assumed wrong, and I apologize for any misinterpretation resulting from that.

If you live where tipping isn't expected, and you tip at all: awesome for you!

For everyone else: tipping based on what you can "afford" rather than what's fair & appropriate is very much tasteless and mean.
              The icon is a bunny with a spiked collar from some carpet ad.

Comment

I tip wait staff, taxi drivers and pizza delivery guys. I don't have to, but I do purely cuz I would hate to have either of those jobs. If I'm going out to a restaurant, I tend to plan ahead; like try and plan for it to be after I get paid, and I always have a couple of quid handy. Since when I go to these places I'm never alone, that's fine for a contribution I think as everyone can throw in two pounds to make up the tip. Sometimes if my boyf pays for the meal I'll pay for the tip... somehow, we always seem to get good service whenever we eat out and never seated in a bad place. XD
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

This thread is getting heated, and I just received a complaint. It's not the first thread on tipping where this has happened, so I pretty much expected it.

I'm closing this one, but before I do, there are two points that I'd like to emphasize:

1. Servers in the U.S. often make less than minimum wage, and they count of the generosity of customers to make up the difference in tips. Sometimes they break even, and sometimes they even make great money, but they often end up taking home little to nothing because there are a lot of stingy people out there. It is considered rude to leave little or no money as a tip. Of course, if the server is lazy, rude, or simply not doing their job, then all bets are off. Otherwise, a tip is expected.

2. Tipping is not customary in all parts of the world. Criticizing people for not tipping in countries where servers make a decent wage, and tipping isn't expected, is ridiculous.
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                  X