Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally wouldn't have a clue. XD I just buy the ready prepared mixed lettuce.

But, when I worked in the pet centre, I once encountered a stupid person; she thought that hamsters were rats. She asked for rats, I showed her rats, she went, "Eww, I didn't want those!" I said, "Those are rats." She said, "I meant the ones without tails." I showed her the hamsters. -.-
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth produce_boy View Post
      I'm surprised with how many comments I got! Thanks a lot, everyone.

Also, apologies to anyone who may have been offended of me calling that woman the "i-word". It was not meant to be aimed at people in general who don't know the different between the many lettuces, but for the woman who would argue with someone who absolutely knows the difference between escarole and (I remembered the name) chicory.

Again, thanks for the replies, everyone!!

I don't like using the I word either, but that's cause it one of those words I just can't pronounce!

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
        And that small curly bitter one.

So that's what that one's called!
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Bluenomi View Post
          I don't like using the I word either, but that's cause it one of those words I just can't pronounce!
          Ig-nor-ant. Ig is pronounced just like it looks - short i, hard g. Nor is pronounced as in 'neither - nor', or as in 'north'. Ant is pronounced like the insect.

The strongest syllable is the Ig.

This pronunciation guide is based on the Australian accent.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
            This pronunciation guide is based on the Australian accent.
            It also works perfectly for an American accent.

OR, one could go for the low-class accent and pronounce it: IG-nert. But I don't recommend it.

Comment

also pronounced "ignint" "ignant" "ignernt" "ign'nt (no vowel sound)" "fucking tardways"

*shrugs* I deal with people with many varied accents on the phone daily.
              Ma'am, I could care less about the time your precious Fifi found a baby squirrel and raised it as her own, I just want to know if you've ever been told you had diabeetus.

Comment

Quoth Shengirl View Post
                OR, one could go for the low-class accent and pronounce it: IG-nert. But I don't recommend it.
                Thats how I pronounce it...

I have a real thick accent though. If I were to type like I talk no one would be able to read what I post.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  When my lingual problems kick in, I'll eventually say 'I'm saying the wrong word, aren't I?' or if it's aphasia, I'll describe the word I want, and apologise for being unable to think of it. It's just part of life.
                  Aphasia? I thought I was just getting senile! hmmmmm...
                  Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                    Aphasia? I thought I was just getting senile! hmmmmm...
                    If you have aphasia and have never been checked, talk to your doctor. Mine got a CAT scan done, just on the off-chance that a tumour was causing it. No tumour, but now I have evidence that my head is not, in fact, filled with sawdust. I actually do have a brain.

So that I don't worry you: millions of people have aphasia and no tumour. My doctor is just the cautious type.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                    X