X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goofy Old Men

Exhibit A

Two weeks ago, a man pushed a cart up to the service desk, stopping a ways in front of it. Catching my attention, the man asked,

"Hon? Is it all right if I leave this here while I go bring mommy inside?"

Me: "Uh, sure, I'll watch it."

This man had to be in his late 60s at LEAST. He'd be lucky to have a living mommy, unless she was a mummy. I can only guess that he's one of those parents that refers to his wife as "Mommy" to the kids. Either way, this was disorienting and creepy.

Exhibit B

A different old man, older even than the first, came in today. He gave me a roll of quarters and a roll of dimes, which I weighed to check and exchanged for $15 in bills. When I gave it to him, he asked,

"Okay, can you do the Coke?" He then gestured to a cart about ten feet too the side and behind him that had two six-packs of Coke bottles.

Me: "Sure!"
    Him: "..." He continued to hold the money out to me.
    Me: "..."
    Him: "Can you do the Coke?"
    Me: "Yep! I just gotta scan it."
    Him: "Alright, I got two."
    Me: "I just need to scan it, sir." I was still sounding cheery.
    Him: "Okay." Then he walked over to his cart and started pushing it away.
    Me: "...Sir? Sir!" But he was gone.

I have no idea what happened. Did he think I had telekinesis? Or did he expect me to walk around the desk and past him to get his soda? He wasn't that infirm. But then, he didn't seem angry either. I don't understand!

Exhibit B's probably just at that age (or suffering from one of the disorders associated with old age) where you forget exactly what you were doing or what you were asking for it. I'd be a little worried about him being out and about were that the case, but there's nothing you can do about it, so don't worry yourself.
    The icon is a bunny with a spiked collar from some carpet ad.

Comment

You mean he left the store without paying for the cokes?

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
        You mean he left the store without paying for the cokes?
        Nah, he walked off towards the registers.

Comment

Working...
        X