Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate DMV's, even way back 20 years ago when I got my learner's permit. Back then, you had to get there right as the doors opened, just to take the written test. I was grateful that I could take a driver's ed course in high school, and the instructor was able to certify you for your license without having to take the driving test at the DMV. You were handed a waiver, and when presented, you got your license.

About two years ago, I was in need of upgrading to a Class D license, which was needed for pulling anything over 8,000 pounds, if I recall. I was applying for a job at Fed Ex and this was a requirement. Well, the DMV in West Palm was crowded, and you could not get an appointment for two weeks! You could walk in, but there was no way in Hell that you were going to get in and out of there in no time. So, I went home, and I looked to see what other offices could get me in. It turned out Pahokee, Florida (yes, that place near Belle Glade, in the middle of nowhere!) has a DMV, and were not booked at all! So, I drove 50 miles out there after making a same day appointment. It turned out, the laws had changed, and a class E license was fine for working for a company like Fed Ex! I was pissed! But, at least I learned that in the future, if I need to go to the DMV, I can always go out to that nasty town.

Comment

Quoth Dark Psion View Post
      A 7 foot tall guy with more piercings than a porcupine has quills.
      I would have stalked him until he gave me his number.
      Tall (yes, seven feet works for me) + piercings = win.

Comment

You also see an interesting variety of people at a DMV.
        A Vietnamese couple just imigrated to America.
        A elderly Korean man getting his first Drivers Licence.
        A 7 foot tall guy with more piercings than a porcupine has quills.
        A guy with a flaming red mohawk.
        A old man in 90s who was told he needs his birth certifcate to renew his licence; "I don't think I ever had one."
        Haha, the DMV is a great equalizer. EVERYONE has to go through the same rigamarole, no matter how entitled they think they are.

Comment

Quoth Reyneth View Post
          That reminds me that tonight I was reminded that big biker dudes can have hearts of gold.

Not to long after my wife had the accident that put in her in a wheelchair, the local ABATE Chapter held a fund raiser for her. From what she told me, they raised enough for her to get a good used car, and the money to adapt it with hand controls. (at the time she lived in BFE, Illinois so there was no public transportation.)
          Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

When I got my license, all I had to do was hand them an expired out of state learner's permit and get my picture taken.

I spent more time waiting for the license to print than I did in line.

A couple points to further illustrate my situation:

1) I never took any kind of behind the wheel test. Never has an evaluator sat with me while I'm driving.

2) My eyesight with glasses is 20/20, but I never took any kind of vision test, nor does my license say anywhere on it that I need my glasses to drive. Without my glasses, I'm like Velma from Scooby Doo.
            Flood

Comment

For anyone in Oregon, the DMV in Cottage Grove (Lane County) and Canyonville (Douglas County) are always deserted or slow. I'll drive an hour for a same day appt. No problem.
              ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

The Answer!

But others would stand there a moment, wondering why they were not being treated as the most important person in the world and by which method of SC behavior would get their way, but realizing that the testers were armed state troopers,.....they eventually left.
                At-last! The answer to SCs, an armed police person behind each counter. Every store should hire at least one. Then when a SC demand to speak to someone in authority, you can meet their request right away.

Think how fast most problems will be solved, and if the SC goes postal, the problem will still be solved. Great idea!

Comment

Working...
                X