This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll take that now and pay you later

We've dealt with a lot of ignorant customers over the years that we've been running our business. One customer in particular, whom was never a good customer but I think we kept dealing with her because if we laid down the law we'd eventually get our dues. After several bounced checks and collection calls to disconnected numbers, she phones us and has the nerve to request a rather expensive product. We price it out, give her the total to which she says quite plainly "you bring that to me tomorrow and I'll pay you next month when I get my cheque" (the phrase 'my cheque' in our region of Canada most often describes a social assistance payment). Obviously I refused her proposal, especially since she wanted me to deliver it to her an hour away. She did end up bringing me the full cash amount a while later which says to me that she was more than willing to pay for what she really wanted but couldn't resist the attempt to aquire it for free.

I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today...

PS to the zoo!
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
      I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today...
      Hahahahaah! That was the exact same line that popped into my head when I read the title here!
      Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

This exact thing happened to me a week or so ago! A woman came in trying to purchase an item that's in the $120 - $170 ballpark. She asked me,

"Do you guys have some sort of layaway program?"
        (Uh-oh.) "No, ma'am, we don't."
        "Well, how about if I give you $70 tonight, take it with me, and bring the rest tomorrow?"
        "Ma'am, we can't do that. We could HOLD it for you to pay for (in full) tomorrow..."
        "No, no, no, I want to buy it tonight! Tomorrow, my coupon will expire and I won't be able to use it! I only have $70 with me. I'll just give this to you tonight, and bring the rest tomorrow..."

At this point, my manager appeared and spoke with her. What did she do to explain to the woman that we can't allow them to pay for PART of something and IOU the rest? Held it until the next day and gave her 20% off. It's not as if this was something the woman desperately needed... it was one of those ridiculous "As seen on tv!" exercise "machines" (see also: "gimmick").

Comment

I find it funny that you mention that song because in the particular town where this incident took place, its a veritable theme song. My husband used to hum it while walking down the halls of one of the municipal buildings. Everyday we had folks wanting to pay for computers with post-dated cheques, or I.O.U.s (totally not kidding)

Comment

Quoth Meggers View Post
            Everyday we had folks wanting to pay for computers with post-dated cheques, or I.O.U.s (totally not kidding)
            There is a legit IOU out there, it's called a Credit Card.

Comment

Ah yes, but when you're not elegible for a credit card, chequing account and don't have more than 2$ in your pocket how else are you going to fool the small town retailer into getting what you can't afford.

Comment

Working...
              X