This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot stuff

Here's another story from my days at Macca's. The memories of sucky customers are flooding back and it is amazing how many came from this one place.

Well we had this old biddy who was never nice to us. I had only just been trained in the cafe area, when I had my first encounter with her, although her reputation preceeded her.

Well she came up and order a cappuccino and in sucky customer fashion said that the cappuccino's that she got here were always cold and that we needed to learn to make them hotter. I felt like telling her that if we made them so bad why did she keep coming back but I held my tongue.

Well I ended up making her drink specially so as to stop her from complaining again, yeah right. So I got out our small milk jug put the milk in, frothed it and then let it sit there, my coworker and myself watched as the thermometer went out of the red area, which is where we are meant to stop, and I proceeded to keep going until you could well and truly smell that the milk was now burnt due to being heated to hot.

She collected her drink and we watched her go to the table and drink the cappuccino down in two gulps (this was your normal size coffee mug). Well she sat for a while and we dealt with the now horrible smelling milk jug that took us a few washes to get completely clean.

Just before she left she came over and told us that again we had not even got close to making the capp hot enough and again that we needed to learn how to do our jobs properly. I guess she must have something wrong because I don't know anyone that can drink down in two gulps over 150 degree C coffee.

She did come back a few weeks later and repeated her same complaints. I again made the coffee in the same fashion but instead of making it straight away I called her over and showed her the thermometer saying that it was well and truly hot, she said it was about time we did our jobs properly and went to sit and wait for her drink again. I stopped her and made sure she saw that I made it with that milk and then stated that if this one was not hot enough there was simply nothing more that I could do to make it hotter and that perhaps she should get this problem looked at. She snorted that she did not have a problem and drank her drink in 3 gulps this time. She left after that and we never saw her again.
    Am I sad because I am looking forward to the day when the people I will be dealing with will no longer be able to talk back?

Quoth Forensic Waitress View Post
    Just before she left she came over and told us that again we had not even got close to making the capp hot enough and again that we needed to learn how to do our jobs properly. I guess she must have something wrong because I don't know anyone that can drink down in two gulps over 150 degree C coffee.
    150 degrees C C as in centigrade isn't that nearly 300 degree Fahrenheit?
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

The infamous McDonald's coffee was 180 F, when the safety regs were max 160 F, so I'm going to guess they meant 150 F, not C.
      "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - George Patton

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Your most probably right I could never remember which side was which, suffice to say that it was very hot and burnt, whatever the temp.
        Am I sad because I am looking forward to the day when the people I will be dealing with will no longer be able to talk back?

Comment

If it had been 150C, it would have been boiled away Water (and coffee and milk) boils at 100C.
          GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

awww...with the thread topic....I thought it was about me

j/k ....ok...no Im not.....

yeah...I really am
            "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse" --Walt Disney

Comment

Our "regular" hot drink temperature is 140 F, which to me, is asininely hot and burns the crap out of my mouth. However we quite often have customers who request their drinks "extra hot" which is usually between 160 and 180. This lady in question must have destroyed all heat sensation in her mouth somehow.
              I will never go to school!

Comment

Fahrenheit makes absolutely no sense to me.
                Celcius is where it's at. 0 = freezing, 100 = boiling. Makes perfect, logical sense.
                Fahrenheit is just tomfoolery.

Just throwing that out there.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                  Fahrenheit makes absolutely no sense to me.
                  Celcius is where it's at. 0 = freezing, 100 = boiling. Makes perfect, logical sense.
                  Fahrenheit is just tomfoolery.

Just throwing that out there.
                  For one liquid, assuming it's undiluted, at sea level, under certain barometric conditions.

Admittedly, it's the most common liquid on earth, although saltwater has a lower freezing temperature than fresh water.

Celsius is only slightly less arbitrary than Fahrenheit when you get down to it. It's all what you're used to.
                  Flood

Comment

The confusing part with Fahrenheit and Celsius is converting one temp to the other.

Comment

Quoth princess4life View Post
                      The confusing part with Fahrenheit and Celsius is converting one temp to the other.
                      I agree. F = [C * (9/5)] + 32
                      and
                      C = (F - 32) * 5/9

Are not mental-math friendly. The only reason I have any sense of Celsius is that I'm a science major, and we kinda have to work in it.

Comment

she's probably screwed up her throat so bad that it's too scarred to feel the heat or something if she's drinking stuff that fast.
                        "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Quoth Shengirl View Post
                          I agree. F = [C * (9/5)] + 32
                          and
                          C = (F - 32) * 5/9

Are not mental-math friendly. The only reason I have any sense of Celsius is that I'm a science major, and we kinda have to work in it.
                          Um, I thought hard science used Kelvin Scale. Absolute Zero is 0, all results are positive numbers (or zero), so less chance of accidental loss of a minus during calculations. Have they changed that since I took Physics?
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Thing is

Quoth Shangri-laschild View Post
                            she's probably screwed up her throat so bad that it's too scarred to feel the heat or something if she's drinking stuff that fast.
                            She could be adding more damage over time doing this, this is a crazy way to drink any hot drink even if it does not feel hot to yourself.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                              Um, I thought hard science used Kelvin Scale.
                              It does. Some calculations are easier to do in centigrade, however.

As for Fahrenheit, all of the English measurements (feet, pounds, etc) are a royal pain. And Rankine is no better than Fahrenheit, but at least he got absolute zero right.

I have a personal vendetta against professors who force their students to perform calculations in the units given, rather than translating them to the much-easier SI units.

[/enginbitching]
                              "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

Working...
                              X