This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Geek King View Post
    Um, I thought hard science used Kelvin Scale. Absolute Zero is 0, all results are positive numbers (or zero), so less chance of accidental loss of a minus during calculations. Have they changed that since I took Physics?
    Calculations often do, but in the lab, we don't have Kelvin thermometers.

Comment

Quoth Shengirl View Post
      Calculations often do, but in the lab, we don't have Kelvin thermometers.
      isn't it pretty easy to convert to kelvin though... isn't it just Celsius plus 273?
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
        isn't it pretty easy to convert to kelvin though... isn't it just Celsius plus 273?
        273.15, more like, why? You do the work in Celsius, then convert it to Kelvin if you need to plug your results into equations. Unless the equation merely requires a difference in temperature, at which point, since C and K have equivalent intervals between each degree, you don't have to convert anything.

Comment

Blech. That's the reason I hate growing up in the USA. Why the heck do we use inches, feet, miles, etc, when no one else does?
          Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Because we're America. The Last Superpower left, not counting China. They don't count 'cause they're communist. We're arrogant enough to claim the term "Americans" for ourselves even though "America" really encompases everything from Canada to Chile and all points in between (so yes, that means Mexicans are Americans, too*. No matter what any fearmongering politicos may tell you ).

The fact that the rest of the world agrees on using Metric is all the more reason to stick with Standard. Hell, we still consider it Standard.

*I'm getting that put on a T-shirt, in the colors of the Mexican flag. Thinking of doing one saying "Canadians are American, too"
            Flood

Comment

Quoth Flood View Post
              The fact that the rest of the world agrees on using Metric is all the more reason to stick with Standard. Hell, we still consider it Standard.
              Once I learned that the Brits refer to it as Imperial, I thought it was a great practice and adopted it. Because it's awful presumptuous to call it "Standard."

Comment

No normal human could drink 180F liquid in two gulps. Anyone who has ever worked in the dish room at a restaurant or used a commercial dish machine should know that the sanitize rinse uses 180F water, heating the surface of the ware to 160F. I've done enough dishes so that I can grab the right out of the machine, but not hold them for too long.

Comment

Quoth Flood View Post
                  ...not counting China. They don't count 'cause they're communist.

LOOOOOOOL

Comment

Quoth Flood
                    from Canada to Chile and all points in between
                    Quoth delidewd
                    Don't forget South America too.
                    Chile's in North America now? Last I looked it was in South America.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                    X