This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein I am both amused and unnerved

There were several amusing customer incidents at work yesterday.

A woman came in to pick up a cheap bottle of wine. When I say cheap, I mean the cheapest we have - a weak and vinegary red. Absolutely terrible stuff.

So she's raving about how this is one of the only wines she'll drink, and how wonderful it is, and how marvelous that she can get it so inexpensively.

Then I notice that the woman's eyes have gotten really wide, she has a shocked expression on her face, and she's stopped talking.

Me: Is everything okay?
    Her: (Pointing to a premium red we keep shelved behind the counter) What does that price tag say?
    Me: $79.95. Its a 1999 vintage Bordeaux-blend. Its a fantastic cellar candidate. It will age well for another 30 years.
    Her: OH MY GOD. I was just given that bottle as a gift last week. I took one sip and poured the rest down the drain. I couldn't stand the taste!
    Me: (Thinking that she's realized her mistake and is feeling terrible about it) Oh no! What a terrible shame!
    Her: I'll say! How dare you charge $80 for such a horrible wine!

I started laughing as soon as she left. My manager didn't find it so amusing - she adores this wine, and can't afford it. She literally felt sick at the thought of someone pouring it down the drain.

Second customer was a man who came in later in the evening when I was on my own. He grabs a bottle of red and heads to the counter.

Me: How are you today? Did you find everything you need?
    Him: Of course I did! Hahahahahahaha!
    Me: This one is only on sale until Monday. If its a favourite of yours, you might want to take advantage of that and grab a few.
    Him: Hahahahaha! (Breaking into a belly laugh - actually doubles over and holds his stomach) No! No! (gasping for air now) That's fine. Hahahahaha! Just one!
    Me: Oooookaaaaay.....That will be $XX.XX please.
    Him: Visa! No, wait - Mastercard! Mwahahahahahaha! (Laughter is beginning to sound maniacal)

I'm seriously unnerved now. I'm pretty sure I have nothing on my face, and he shows no signs of being intoxicated. He just finds wine purchasing to be hilarious for some reason. He manages to get through the signing of his credit slip.

Me: Receipt in the bag or would you like to keep it with you?
    Him: Bag's fine! Have a great night! Mwahahahahahahahaha!

What do you think? Super-villain or Tourette's sufferer?

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

I think you found Heidegger from Final Fantasy VII, he's not dead after all.

Comment

Perhaps he was a wine-snob thought the wine was awful and only bought it as a gag-gift. Then he thought it was funny that you offered him more bottles.. Idk..

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post

What do you think? Super-villain or Tourette's sufferer?
        Did he have a small cat with him? That's usually a super villain dead giveaway.

Comment

One eye witness was available to comment on the scene:

GYAHAHAHAAAAAA... HAA?

Comment

Could be he was just remembering something really funny. Happens to me from time to time. I freaked out a room full of coworkers once when it happened to me and I couldn't stop laughing. "Those poor monkeys!!" You had to be there.

Comment

Something similar happened to me after the first time I heard the Lumberjack Song in High School. For the rest of the day I would just burst out laughing at completely inappropriate times.
              "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
              "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
              --Dilbert

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                Her: I'll say! How dare you charge $80 for such a horrible wine!
                HA! I'm with her. Just because wine is expensive doesn't mean it's good.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                  HA! I'm with her. Just because wine is expensive doesn't mean it's good.
                  HA! HA! And I agree with you! I've had wines that cost an outrageous amount of money, and they tasted like hot dog water.

I've also had a few cheap wines that were very good and rivaled a more expensive bottle.
                  Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

I'm so pedestrian- I can't stand wine. Give me liquor or mixed drinks any day, but I won't touch red wine. I MIGHT take two sips of white wine on a special occasion. I think wine is disgusting.
                    My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

Try

Quoth Saydrah View Post
                      I'm so pedestrian- I can't stand wine. Give me liquor or mixed drinks any day, but I won't touch red wine. I MIGHT take two sips of white wine on a special occasion. I think wine is disgusting.
                      Try Ice Wine or a Late Autumn Harvest. Very sweet white wines. Don't look at the price tag, bad for the heart.

Comment

Maybe if someone offers a glass of it to me.
                        My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

Quoth Knightmare View Post
                          HA! HA! And I agree with you! I've had wines that cost an outrageous amount of money, and they tasted like hot dog water.

I've also had a few cheap wines that were very good and rivaled a more expensive bottle.
                          Not all cheap wines suck and not all expensive wines are good.

But you will all have to take my word for it that, in this particular case, the cheapo wine she bought was battery acid and the wine she poured down the sink was divine.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I'm not a wine drinker (scotch and soda ftw, also the odd looks of one so young ordering that ), but I think I'll take the word of the person who works at the store for what the quality is.

As for laughing boy, it might be that he was laughing eariler. One time at music camp I laughed the *entire* lunch hour because of a comment someone made right at the start, and I was chuckling pretty much the rest of the day, too. And by laughing, I mean I was having trouble breathing at points. People were starting to worry about me, and not just for my sanity.
                            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                              So she's raving about how this is one of the only wines she'll drink, and how wonderful it is, and how marvelous that she can get it so inexpensively.
                              You say poor taste in Wine, I say cheap date!!

All the best wines come in box, everyone knows that!!
                              Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

Working...
                              X