Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've got one that keeps calling us about something my uncle (long deceased) owed. It's getting funny really, we've sent them copies of his death certificates about three times and they still don't believe he's dead.

The last time she called, I told her simply that he was dead, to which the woman actually asked "Are you sure?" I couldn't help myself but said softly. "Gee. I hope so. We had him cremated."

Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Am I wrong in understanding that they buy the debt at a discount, the less likely collection is, the lower the price? I know my credit's bad, and I get the sleaze bag bill collectors that go with, but still, what's the matter with running a business professionally?
      Seph
      Taur10
      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

I have had bill collectors call me and ask for me and only give their 1st name to the person asking for me. I have no problem talking to these people if they would only say:

"I'm John calling from XXX Company"

They normally just say:

My name is John and I'm trying to reach him."

My wife will say:

"He does not know any John, sorry you either have the wrong number or have failed on an epic scale."
        I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

Quoth donruss View Post
          I have had bill collectors call me and ask for me and only give their 1st name to the person asking for me. I have no problem talking to these people if they would only say:

"I'm John calling from XXX Company"

They normally just say:

My name is John and I'm trying to reach him."

My wife will say:

"He does not know any John, sorry you either have the wrong number or have failed on an epic scale."
          They are trained to do that, obviously few people would ever call back if they knew it's a collections agency. The idea is to get you to contact them to see what's up. It's also a privacy thing as they can only speak to you about your debt.
          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

My fiance has this problem with his cell phone. He's owned the phone for three years now, with the same number, and rougly every six months he gets a round of calls from collection agencies. I guess it takes them that long to exhaust all other attempts to find 'John' and they go back to the last contact info they have?
            It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

It's mostly the third party bill collectors that are the sleazbags (but not all third parties are). First party collectors are pretty decent. If you legitimately have a problem and can't pay a bill they will work with you.

I recently left my job and my new job didn't work out so well. So I've been living off my savings and a part time job for income, and my credit card bill went unpaid for a few months, the collector called me and all I had to do was tell her the situation and we have something worked out for now, much simpler than yelling at them and giving them a hard time on a debt I owe and is my own fault for letting get out of hand.

Comment

Working...
              X