X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• geography

Overheard from the cubicle next to me.

C-co worker.

C: No m'am... neither of our Mexican resorts are in the United States.... They're in Mexico.

I almost
    "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

The part of my brain that wasn't trying to keep me from choking on my soup while laughing at the caller's apparent stupidity said: "Maybe she was looking for a Mexican-themed resort in the US."

In any case, I just had a really good laugh. Thanks, Anqeiic.
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

Comment

::shakes head::

Reminds me of the business traveler I had on the phone this morning that wanted to fly from Minneapolis (his home) to New Hampshire:

Me: "What city in New Hampshire?"

SC:"Oh, do you need to know that?"

Me: "Ummm, yes"

SC: "What are my choices?"

And yes, I was forced to go to Mapquest and read him the (thankfully few) cities for him to choose from in New Hampshire.

::Sigh::
      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
        Me: "What city in New Hampshire?"

SC:"Oh, do you need to know that?"

Me: "Ummm, yes"

SC: "What are my choices?"
        At least he chose a small state. Picture a place like Ohio, with small rural airports everywhere. (Many of them damn near a century old, too! Something about being near the Wright Bros Bicycle shop, y'know.)

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
          At least he chose a small state. Picture a place like Ohio, with small rural airports everywhere. (Many of them damn near a century old, too! Something about being near the Wright Bros Bicycle shop, y'know.)
          the other variation on the airports, hotels

i love when people say "i need a hotel in san diego"
          ...great that narrows it down to 26.
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post

Word.

It doesn't annoy or surprise me so much when it's just an average person on the street - nothing shocks me from those callers. But when it's a so-called 'road-warrior' business traveler who is in the air 150 days out of the year and can't be bothered to figure out where he's going, I chalk it up to plain damned laziness.

God help me, but I can tolerate stupidity over laziness and/or entitlement. Thinking it's someone else's job to figure out what city you're flying into is just incomprehensible to me.
            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I worked at a catalogue call center. The shipping rates were CLEARLY defined. The ground shipping was based on the total order cost before tax, and then faster shipping was extra. 3-5 days air shipping extra $5.95, two day extra $10.95and next day extra $15.95.

I used to get customers that would throw an absolute FIT because they were in Hawaii and we (in Ohio) are charging them an extra 5.95 for air shipping.

SC: "But I DON"T WANT faster shipping! I want GROUND shipping!!"
              Me: "Ma'am, you're having it shipped to your address in Hawaii, correct?"
              SC: "YYYYEEESSSS!!!!"
              Me: "I can't send it ground shipping because it has to go across the OCEAN. UPS can't drive a truck from here to Hawaii. It has to go air."
              SC: "BUT THAT"S NOT FAAAAIR!"

Not my problem, lady.
              "What size can I get you, ma'am?"
              "Red."
              "Okay...I'll check the red for you, but what size do you need?"
              "RED!"
              "..."

Comment

Narnia~ and I were chatting around during her break today (she's a cubicle away from me), discussing what happened with the Mexican resorts and she says

"Yeah, I know! I had a woman on the line the other day that did not know where Mexico was. I was literally walking her through the map on our website going 'its south of America' and she kept going 'NO! That's CANADA!'"

"The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

Quoth AnqeiicDemise View Post
                  Narnia~ and I were chatting around during her break today (she's a cubicle away from me), discussing what happened with the Mexican resorts and she says

"Yeah, I know! I had a woman on the line the other day that did not know where Mexico was. I was literally walking her through the map on our website going 'its south of America' and she kept going 'NO! That's CANADA!'"

Wow.

I seriously just need to shut up.

How do people like that dress themselves?

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                    How do people like that dress themselves?
                    By fighting their dirty washing.
                    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

No really, there are only 50

My bf (on tech support) had to talk really fast & long to convince this one lady that US only has 50 states & that neither Canada nor Puerto Rico are among them.
                      I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Quoth IHateStupidCustomers View Post
                        I worked at a catalogue call center. The shipping rates were CLEARLY defined. The ground shipping was based on the total order cost before tax, and then faster shipping was extra. 3-5 days air shipping extra $5.95, two day extra $10.95and next day extra $15.95.

I used to get customers that would throw an absolute FIT because they were in Hawaii and we (in Ohio) are charging them an extra 5.95 for air shipping.

SC: "But I DON"T WANT faster shipping! I want GROUND shipping!!"
                        Me: "Ma'am, you're having it shipped to your address in Hawaii, correct?"
                        SC: "YYYYEEESSSS!!!!"
                        Me: "I can't send it ground shipping because it has to go across the OCEAN. UPS can't drive a truck from here to Hawaii. It has to go air."
                        SC: "BUT THAT"S NOT FAAAAIR!"

Not my problem, lady.
                        Now . . . wait a sec . . . she still could have paid for Ground shipping.

Of course, that would have required her to meet the truck in California since the truck can't swim across the Pacific to Hawaii. Now whether or not she decided to swim or take a plane to the States is her choice.

There again, she could attempt to drive across the ocean herself.

Darwin would be so proud
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth TryNotToBeThatOne View Post
                          My bf (on tech support) had to talk really fast & long to convince this one lady that US only has 50 states & that neither Canada nor Puerto Rico are among them.
                          The fact that some companies **coughs**mine**hackwheeze** offers domestic fees for travel within the US AND Canada makes people believe there are more than 50 states.

Its odd that we add domestic fees to Canada but international to US. Domains like the Virgin Islands and Guam....and the big ol' "51st state" of Mexico.

Comment

The fact that some companies **coughs**mine**hackwheeze** offers domestic fees for travel within the US AND Canada makes people believe there are more than 50 states.

Its odd that we add domestic fees to Canada but international to US. Domains like the Virgin Islands and Guam....and the big ol' "51st state" of Mexico.
                            Sounds like my agency. Domestic travel is US, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean along with Central America. Some itineraries for Central America are more complicated than those to far-flung European countries, yet the customers pay a domestic service fee to us instead of a higher fee we get for International on what are sometimes less complicated itineraries.

Comment

Yeah, but she was entering a 'state' code for Medicaid purposes and wanted to know the 2-letter abbreviation for Canada.
                              I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Working...
                              X