This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post
    So you can hate our laws and bag on them and call them unfair all you want. And for the most part, I'll AGREE with you. But I still won't serve you without one of the four forms of ID I am allowed to accept. Period, end of story.
    That's all fine and dandy, but I'm not expecting to be served alcohol in your country, just have the ID that was issued to me by my government be accepted in place of the driver's license I can't get (see my previous reply to Broomjockey) and don't need.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
      And the worst part? I don't have a new health card, a DL or a passport. In order to get one of those things you need another as ID fr the application.
      So I'm trapped in a position where the government has prevented me from being able to get the necessary ID that they require me to have.
      Oh yeah? I know the pain. It's not quite that bad here, but to get my Prov. ID, I needed a social insurance card. I'd lost that a while ago, so to get a new one, I needed a copy of my birth certificate. To get that, you need a SIN card, or an ID of some kind. >_<

Luckily, my parents were able to get me a copy through arcane magic (they had to request it personally, special forms, etc.), and I used that to get the SIN card, and that to get my Prov. ID. Which I eventually used to get my passport!
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
        Oh yeah? I know the pain. It's not quite that bad here, but to get my Prov. ID, I needed a social insurance card. I'd lost that a while ago, so to get a new one, I needed a copy of my birth certificate. To get that, you need a SIN card, or an ID of some kind. >_<

Luckily, my parents were able to get me a copy through arcane magic (they had to request it personally, special forms, etc.), and I used that to get the SIN card, and that to get my Prov. ID. Which I eventually used to get my passport!
        I've been getting conflicting information on whether or not my SIN card is enough to start me on the path to getting all my ID in place.
        My brother (who is in the same spot as I am) has tried to deal with these services and they've told him a flat, "you NEED this to get that."

Never lose your wallet.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          Well, in every alcohol serving seminar I've been forced to attend, they have stressed that the only valid forms of ID for alcohol purchases were driver's licenses, state issued ID cards, passports, and US Armed Forces ID cards. Now, your state may be different, and I don't claim to know the alcohol laws of every or even most states, but having worked with people from just about everywhere, I haven't heard much discussed that would lead me to think that most states are any different from the above requirements.
          Well I give up, I can't find definite proof. Next time I'm in the liquor store (which will probably be months) I'll try to remember to ask.

I did find hand gun permits explicitly used in a listing of valid IDs for tobacco purchase, but that means squat for alcohol purchases. They're referred to as identification in the state FAQ, and alcohol sales need "state issued identification", but that's way too vague to hang anything on.

ETA My friend's a smoker too so that might be what he meant.

Comment

Quoth marty View Post
            ...And it is ridiculous that people get pissy about it. I show my ID whether I'm asked for it or not, out of habit, because I sure as hell am not going to be paying bills for someone else's purchases...
            The cashier is not at fault for following coporate policy. The company however entered into a contract with the credit card company of it's own free will and should abide by the terms of that contract. If the company doesn't want to abide by the terms of the contract then it shouldn't accept credit cards. Still I'll show my ID when asked for it. My pet peeve is merchants who require one to spend a certain amount to use a credit/debit card. That's also a breach of contract.
            Mon aéroglisseur est plein des anguilles!"

Comment

Quoth alphaboi View Post
              My pet peeve is merchants who require one to spend a certain amount to use a credit/debit card. That's also a breach of contract.
              I can't stand that either. I know I have $4 in my checking account, I want to be able to use it, damnit!

I mean really, if someone gets that upset for me checking their ID with a card then they can call corporate and bitch at them about it. You shouldn't leave your damn house without your ID on you to begin with.
              Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

Quoth Captain Kidd View Post
                Well I give up, I can't find definite proof. Next time I'm in the liquor store (which will probably be months) I'll try to remember to ask.

They're referred to as identification in the state FAQ, and alcohol sales need "state issued identification", but that's way too vague to hang anything on.
                Two things. First, don't ask for this kind of information at the liquor store. As we already know from other threads and discussions and our own experiences, not everyone that works at liquor stores (or anywhere) is going to be as bright as the fine people here at CS.com. More importantly, even the bright ones don't always know the law. For something like that, you would need to ask the state liquor board, whatever they are called.

Secondly, what state is this? Perhaps my google fu can come through and find for you that about which your search drew no clue.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Tennessee, the best I can find is from the Tennessee Responsible Vendor Act of 2006
                  ...appropriate identification including acceptable
                  driver’s licenses, military identification, passports, and other
                  government issued photo identification cards;
                  Which I would think a hand gun permit falls under the last (issued by the DMV, photo ID, DOB, current residence versus being a few addresses behind that a DL is allowed to fall, etc.). However, I also see businesses playing it safe and using the suggested list as the only things to use.

Comment

I did a little digging.

From the Professional Server Certification Corporation's (a company specializing in training servers and bartenders, including teaching alcohol law awareness) Approved Training and Certification Courses for the Hospitality Industry:

Tennessee has various laws regulating the legal age an individual needs to be to consume, sell, or serve alcoholic beverages...

Acceptable Forms of ID:

* An apparently valid Tennessee Driver's License or Identification Card issued by the Tennessee Department of Public Safety containing a physical description consistent with [subject's] appearance
                    * An operator's license (a valid driver's license from any state)
                    * Tennessee state identification cards, military identification, or a US or foreign passport.

Source: http://www.servercertificationcorp.c...tecode=&#39;TN'

I can see how this could be thought to include a hang gun permit, which IS, by the way, acceptable for purchasing tobacco in Tennessee (source: http://www.tngrocer.org/tobaccoguidelines).

To me it seems to say that only state issued Identification Cards (i.e., DMV issued non-operator IDs), DL's, military IDs, or passports are acceptable, but since the hang gun permit is a state issued identification, it's hard to say exactly without seeing something more definitive, which I could not find, or talking to someone who teaches one of those alcohol awareness/responsible vendor seminars in Tennesse, or someone with knowledge of the law in Tennessee regarding this.

The problem with all of this is that in the US, laws DO vary from state to state. In Wisconsin and Texas, for instance, it is legal for someone under 21 to drink if they are in the company of their parents, though (at least in Texas) restaurants/bars do not HAVE to serve such people, they merely have the discretion to do so or not. In Florida, on the other hand, it is not allowable for ANYONE, including parents, to give ANYONE under 21, including their children, ANY alcoholic beverages, ANYWHERE, including in the privacy of their own homes.

So, while I cannot say that the "four acceptable IDs" rule of thumb of driver's license, state issued Identification Card, US Armed Forces Identification Card, or passport is universal throughout all 50 States, I CAN say that that is a good guideline to use if you are unsure of what will be accepted.

God, now I need a drink!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                    X