Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say this...I was very very happy with my new hands free ear piece on my vacation.

I was driving through Tennessee when I heard an emergency bulletin on the radio about a tornado warning. Not a watch...a warning. And it was in the same area I was in! Now, not sure if I should stop or push on, I called my friend...in Wyoming! I had him check his computer and locate the storm in relation to me. All this while I was driving and fighting some big (but not yet dangerous) winds. I was totally focused on the Jestermobile and the road, but was still able to get the information I needed, which in this case really could have been lifesaving. Pressing on turned out to be the better idea, which is good....missed the thing by only a few miles, and actually could see it off to the west of the interstate.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

I must seem like such a bizarre person. I don't own a cellphone, I have a car with no computer controls, fuel injection or luxuries of any sort (unless you count power steering and brakes as a luxury ). I also drive fast not to show off but to stay the hell away from people in SUVs yappin on their damn cellphones!
      "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

Quoth skeptic53 View Post

Even talking to passengers can be very distracting. For this reason, several states in the US have passed laws making it illegal for new drivers (mainly teens) to have passengers in the car until they've had their license for a certain length of time. This has saved many lives in my state.
        That's kinda funny. First, you get your learner's permit saying you can't drive unaccompanied, then you get your driver's license and all of a sudden, you aren't allowed to drive accompanied.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

You know what's really sad? I've seen kids riding their bikes while gabbing on a cell phone. The phone is glued to their ear while they steer with one hand.

I weep for the future of this nation.
          A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

I told both my daughter and son when they received their drivers license's if I ever caught them talking on the phone while driving they would soon be walking and forget about setting. I'm not kidding in the least. Recently a connected woman was gabbing on her cell ran a red-light and was t-boned by a couple on a motorcycle. She killed the man and the woman is still recovering 4 months later. The driver hasn't as of yet be charged, with this being an election year and her husband handing out campaign contributions like it's going out of style, I'd dare say see won't be charged as she should.
            When my phone goes off, it will tell me who's calling and if I deem the call importent enough I'll pull over an take the call otherwise I'll return the call at my earliest inconvenience.
            A few years ago my brother and I had just finished restoring our grandfathers 1966 Mercury Comet when we were rear-ended by a woman argueing with her husband on the phone. We were out on a test drive and the car was demolished and she had the gaul to blame us saying the light was green and we should have been moving. Hello lady we can't move until the car in front starts moving. That car is still setting in my shed waiting to be fixed. I can't find any decent body parts for it not even rusty ones.
            Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              Have they done that test with the handsfree devices, i.e. Blue Tooths and other ear pieces, or just with someone holding a cell in one hand? Just curious.
              You know, I don't think so ... although I'm not quite certain . . ., sounds like a job for the Mythbusters! - hands free cell phones - are they safer?

I guess, at least, since your hand is not holding the phone up to your head (or you head squished down at a weird angle to hold the phone between your head and shoulder), but again, I think it's more where your mind is.
              This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                That's kinda funny. First, you get your learner's permit saying you can't drive unaccompanied, then you get your driver's license and all of a sudden, you aren't allowed to drive accompanied.
                Woops... I meant to say they can't have passengers under 18.
                Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
                TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth skeptic53 View Post
                  Woops... I meant to say they can't have passengers under 18.
                  Oh. That actually makes sense.

Comment

Quoth karma_gypsy View Post
                    You know, I don't think so ... although I'm not quite certain . . ., sounds like a job for the Mythbusters! - hands free cell phones - are they safer?

I guess, at least, since your hand is not holding the phone up to your head (or you head squished down at a weird angle to hold the phone between your head and shoulder), but again, I think it's more where your mind is.
                    Mythbusters...great freakin' show! They actually DID do a show involving driving, driving while talkking on a cell phone, and driving drunk, and the results showed that driving drunk and driving while talking on a cell phone were quite comparable, both far inferior to driving normally.

My big thing with the show at the time was that they only tested the theory with the driver HOLDING the cell phone, rather than seeing what, if any, the variation would be if they had a handsfree device. I personally thought that episode was very incomplete.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      My big thing with the show at the time was that they only tested the theory with the driver HOLDING the cell phone, rather than seeing what, if any, the variation would be if they had a handsfree device. I personally thought that episode was very incomplete.
                      I agree, I love Mythbusters too, but I don't have TV, so I really want it to come out on DVD!

They have revisited myths before, like the ice bullet, so if enough of us loyal veiwers asked them to try it out, they very well might!

Comment

I agree, I love Mythbusters too, but I don't have TV, so I really want it to come out on DVD!

They have revisited myths before, like the ice bullet, so if enough of us loyal veiwers asked them to try it out, they very well might!
                        As do I, I think it's a great show.

I think they have a forum on their site for loyal viewers to state their opinions. Maybe if we made a good enough point, they may revisit it, or maybe do a whole new myth - the hands free vs. headset deal . . .
                        This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

mythbusters is one of the best shows!
                          i reject your reality and substitute my own!

Comment

Two seasons ARE out on DVD. Head over to http://shopping.search.discovery.com/ and do a combo search for Mythbusters and DVD. I'm happily playing one of the Season 1 DVDs right this very minute.
                            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

on topic but at the same time not so, but not substantial enough for a new thread
                              the other day at work i saw someone with a bluetooth wireless headset on his ear and a cell phone held up to his other ear etc etc

Comment

Working...
                              X