This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excuse me, do you work here?

I've gotten stopped plenty of times out shopping after work, because I was in a suit and tie, and people figured I was a manager of whatever store I was shopping in.

Never really had any issues with that once I explained to them that I don't work there.

However, on the flip side of that, I worked for several years as a manager at Best Buy. I'd wear a blue shirt that had the Best Buy logo and a name tag that said "Alex, Home Theater Manager."

I can't count the number of times that people would come up to me, dressed as I was, and they would say "Excuse me, but do you work here?"

One day after having that happen to me about a half dozen times, a lady walks up to me:

SC: Excuse me, but do you work here?
    Me: No. Sometimes I just like to put on the shirt and pretend.
    SC: Oh, ok.

She went off and asked another blue shirted, name tagged, employee if they worked there.

It made my day.
    Last edited by ripper76; 12-13-2007, 05:00 AM.

I've had the same thing happen to me plenty of times. The movie theatre where I work as a manager is right next to a Borders, and I frequently go over to get drinks from the cafe and shop for books. Usually I'll leave my suit jacket on, as I see no point in going through all the hassle of disconnecting the microphone from the intricate setup I have. (The wires bug me. Plus, it's cold out now.) Several times I've gotten people asking me how to find something, but no one's been a jerk about it yet. What's weirder is when people ask me when I'm wearing jeans and a T-shirt. Maybe they've seen my face there before?
    "Shield eaters and SC'ers have many likes alike."

Comment

When I was in Job Corps I use to have a laniard that carried my name badge. Whenever we went to the mall I would hit either Barnes N Noble or Borders and sure as the rain falls someone would stop me and ask where something was.

I never had a problem with it. It just disappointed me a little bit more that I wasn't working in BnN or Borders like I always wanted to. (Bookstores are one of my top three job choices)

Comment

I wear the exact same uniform as everybody else, and I have FOUR store logos on me. on my chest, on my apron, on my fleece and on my hat.

"Do you work... *looks me up and down* oh, nevermind, you can't help me..."

Yeah, go die in a ditch, fucktrumpet.
        Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Given the circumstances, I'd much prefer that the SC ask me if I work at the store in question, even if it is obvious one way or the other. The alternative is what folks have been posting about, where an SC immediate launches into their questions and wastes the time of everyone involved.
          Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

I was checking out a competater's store, when one of my customers came up to me an asked me to wait on him.

I politely mentioned where I worked, and proceded to help him... it was just the right thing to do.

(I had lived in a small town for years, and you help each other out)

Comment

Working...
            X