This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turd Polishers

The story of the Nasal Douche reminded me of a type of customer that I imagine all stores that sell things that might be collectible get.

I work in used books. We have some collectible books but the vast majority of what we have is general stock. Y'know, just books to read.

We have some polyester covers with paper backing for the dust jackets, You have all seen them on library books. We put these on the better books and on books whose jackets are likely to get caught on something when handled (the ones with cutouts) and on some whose jackets are starting to show some wear. We also sell them, but if you want one put on a book that you bought here we'll do it for free.

One thing you need to know about these covers is that they are not meant to cover the whole jacket, just the portion that is on the outside of the book. The ends of the jacket that go inside the book aren't covered.

The Turd Polishers are people who will buy junky books, sometimes even out of the clearance section, and insist that we cover the jackets. What's worse is that they want us to use covers that are long enough to cover even the ends that go inside the book which means that I have to cut or fold it down in the other dimension. And boy are they picky. If the fold or cut on the backing isn't perfectly straight and parallel with the jacket they have fits.

I'm stealing the term "Turd Polisher" from the engineering community. When someone is trying to repair something that was badly designed from the start they are usually admonished with the phrase "You can't polish a turd".
    Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
    I'm stealing the term "Turd Polisher" from the engineering community. When someone is trying to repair something that was badly designed from the start they are usually admonished with the phrase "You can't polish a turd".
    No, but sometimes I can kludge it into fertalizer.

Geek King, master of turning junk into useful junk in an emergancy.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
    X