This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCs, will they EVER learn to read???

I had a total day of suck yesterday. *Note, this is kinda a sucky coworker story, but it culminated with an SC, so I'm putting it here*

Strike 1- It started with me opening my store at 9am, like usual, wondering where my coworker was. She ended up calling out at about 9:30, so now I'm all of a sudden working alone until noon. Now, my store has two designated work areas, the sales floor and the photo lab. In order for me to cover both I would first need to perfect a technique of human cloning, since this isn't possible I spent the whole morning explaining to customers that I could not guarantee their film for one hour.

Strike 2- My second co-worker, the one who was supposed to be there at noon, calls at 12:15, informs me he is running late. Since there is nothing that I can do about that, I explain to him that I've been alone since opening and have a line of customers out the door (not exaggerated) and could he please get in as soon as possible.

Strike 3, I'm out!- We have a system for printing digital pictures from a kiosk. You select your photos, the kiosk spits out a receipt, you bring the receipt to the cashier, pay for your photos, and are given a pickup time. The receipt has printed on it in bold letters "Please bring this slip to cashier to finalize your order"

This means no slip=no prints. My company has a reason for doing this. Often times someone will place an order, see the price on the screen at the end, change their mind, and walk out. When this happens the order still shows up on my queue even though the customer has no intention of paying for it. So if I don't have a slip for it I WILL NOT PRINT IT.

Of course Mr. entitlement left the store with his slip in pocket. Mr. entitlement shows up a couple of hours later wanting his picture. Mr. entitlement is mad that his pictures weren't printed.
    I explain why, and he says

"You can't expect your customers to read the slip!!! There should be a sign!!!"

To which my co-worker turns around and says to him
    "The screen also tells you to bring your slip to the counter."

Mr. entitlement stalls, almost looks remorseful for yelling, then regains his feet and goes all whiney on us that 'his girlfriend has been waiting out in the cold in the car so they wouldn't get a ticket and they are leaving town tomorrow and need the pictures nooooooooowwwwwwwwww.'

My boss tells me to give him a discount for making him wait.
    Our brains are smarter than we think they am!

My assumption on people who refuse to read signs or clue them in on what something clearly indicates is that you should have the right to refuse service to someone who bitches about what a sign indicates and how it wouldn't satisfy them by not to bother reading about it. If there was something a customer did that fails in the written policy or rules I would point out the sign and not acknowledge them.
    Providing Excellent customer service and Filtering out nonsense people.

Comment

My theory on signs and anything requiring customers to read is to put the word "free" somewhere there, in teeeeny tiiiiny print.
      They will see it and they will read it.
      The kicker is making the "free" totally and obviously (though we know how that usually goes) unrelated. Like on the slip, "bleach-free paper."

Though in SC language that equates to, "Free bleach with this piece of paper. Redeem at cash lanes and also recieve mystery prize. Be sure to holler and bitch for prize redemption."

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
        Though in SC language that equates to, "Free bleach with this piece of paper. Redeem at cash lanes and also recieve mystery prize. Be sure to holler and bitch for prize redemption."
        And remember, that will be in a secret language that only sucky customers can read and understand so us poor retail drones end up being the ones who take the brunt of the yelling.
        Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

We had womens flannel shirts on sale last week. The sign on the rack looked something like this:

Women's Shirts
          $9.99
          - Flannel Shirts
          - Regularly $11.99

Our racks have several arms on them so there are often several different types of shirts on each rack. It's always the same brand but different styles. This particular rack had flannel shirts, cotton shirts and hoodies. There's one sign holder positioned in the middle of the rack and that's where the sign was placed.

Saturday night this women approached me and said...

"You need to come with me. I want to show you something. Your sign says these shirts over here are on sale for $9.99, regularly $11.99 but I can't find ANY shirts on this rack that are regularly $11.99."

me: "OK."

We reach the rack in question and she says, "Which shirts are on sale? There aren't any on here that are regularly $11.99."

me: "The sign says, Flannel Shirts. So, it's these (points at flannel shirts) that are on sale. And, as you can see, they are regularly $11.99. You just have to read the sign."

woman: "How can you expect people to read the small print? That's false advertising."

me:

Retail Haiku:
          Depression sets in.
          The hellhole is calling me ~
          I don't want to go.

Comment

Quoth Retail Associate View Post
            you expect people to read the small print? That's false advertising."

me:

I don't see how that could be false advertiseing but ok...lol! Maybe she needs more reading lessons like maybe recommend her to a learning center in your city. Or be like "how can that be false advertising if the sign clearly says that the woman shirts are $9.99
            Providing Excellent customer service and Filtering out nonsense people.

Comment

I do have to ask...why didn't the sign just say Women's Flannel Shirts?

It seems silly the way the company printed it... It's not false advertising, but it is misleading... (I still think the woman is dumb for not reading the fine print...nowadays it's pretty much gauranteed that the sign does not mean what you think it does!)

----------------------------------

LadyKlack, you're manager is an ass. I can't believe he made you give that moron a discount. He maybe should have had you print the order...but he should NOT have given the guy a discount for not following the rules! That's ludicrous. Every asshole who wants a discount now is going to go ahead and do the same thing... or you'll end up printing a LOT of pictures and tossing them in the garbage...an even bigger waste of resources.
              I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

On the topic of signs...

Quick background first: In the state of New South Wales, Australia, anybody who is involved in serving alcohol must complete a "Responsible Service of Alcohol" certificate in order to comply with liquor laws. This is a one-day course that goes through things like recognizing the signs of intoxication etc. etc. I have never worked in a bar as such, but I had to do the course because I would be conducting wine tastings in public venues.

Pubs/Bars/Clubs are required to display certain signs that are clearly visible to customers informing them of the important points of legislation. My trainer told the class that one thing you could do when trying to get an intoxicated person to leave a venue is point to the "Fail to Leave" sign and read it out loud to them:

"If you are drunk, disorderly or violent on these premises, we will ask you to leave. If you fail to leave when asked, you are committing an offence".

Now, obviously if someone's drunk they won't really focus on what the sign says, or even what you say to them - it just helps to "hammer home" your point, I guess. Not quite sure how well this actually works!

Comment

Quoth DesignFox View Post
                  LadyKlack, you're manager is an ass. I can't believe he made you give that moron a discount. He maybe should have had you print the order...but he should NOT have given the guy a discount for not following the rules! That's ludicrous. Every asshole who wants a discount now is going to go ahead and do the same thing... or you'll end up printing a LOT of pictures and tossing them in the garbage...an even bigger waste of resources.

In retrospect I'm actually not to mad at my manager. I'm more upset at my co-workers who called out and came in late respectively. If they hadn't, I wouldn't have been so behind in the lab and I could have easily gotten his pictures out within 5 or 6 minutes. My manager actually came in early that day b/c I called her and told her I was alone.

As for the discount thing, I guess I can understand why she did it. The type of people that shop in our store are all so vilely entitled that we're all a bit twitchy about getting yelled at, especially this time of the year.
                  Last edited by ladyklack; 12-17-2007, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I can see it from that point of view ladyklack...the "shut him the hell up and get him out of here..."

Especially since, like you said, it would have been less of a hassle if your co-workers were there like they should have been.

Still...I hate when people get what they don't deserve.
                    I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Me too, but you know what they say...tis the season

Comment

Working...
                      X