Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arguing over the smallest things, seriously.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arguing over the smallest things, seriously.

So, it's right before I'm out for the night. I'm tired, and have been dealing with the grind of customer service and refunds all day.

And then here comes perhaps the most interesting woman I've had all holiday.

She's wearing BRIGHT gaudy red clothes, and way too much lipstick. And folks, she was pissed. And followed by her ever quiet, mid-20's, daughter.

And YES, most of this is verbatim.

Red- I WANT TO SIGN UP FOR A MEMBERSHIP. (caps is required, as she was loud and angry)
    Me- Ok, business or personal?
    Red- I WANT BUSINESS AND I WANT MY DAUGHTER ON HERE TOO WITH ME BECAUSE SHE NEEDS TO TAKE CARE OF THE BUSINESS. I DON'T HAVE ALL NIGHT HERE, SIGN ME UP!
    Me- (Okayyyy, crazy lady) Alrighty, do you have your drivers licenses so I can get you started?
    Red- I DON'T WANT TO GIVE YOU MY LICENSE, YOU DON'T NEED IT.
    Me- Well, ma'am, we don't require it for membership, however, if you would like to write checks, we require it in the system, and if you lose your card, it makes it much easier to look up by the license number.
    Red- *RIVAL COMPANY* DOESN'T NEED A LICENSE. I'M NOT GIVING IT TO YOU.
    Me- Well, that's alright, but you will need to show a form of photo ID in the future for any *CREDIT CARD* purchases.
    Red- WHATEVER. JUST SIGN ME UP. YOU'RE TAKING FOREVER.

I'm seeing red, as she had this nasty tone with me from the minute she walked in. Her daughter is looking at her like she wants to kill her (which gets really amusing later on...)

Me- Also, if you would like to sign up as a business member, I need 3 forms of business identification, or the business state license.
    Red- HERE. (flashes *RIVAL COMPANY* business member card)
    Me- Okay, do you have 2 more pieces of business id?
    Red- THAT'S ALL YOU NEED.
    Me- I'm afraid we require 3 pieces of business id or the business license. Do you have anything else?
    Red- NO, THAT'S ALL YOU NEED.
    Me- (oh sweet lord, kill me) I'm afraid I cannot sign you up as a business member without 2 more pieces of business ID or the license.
    Red- *RIVAL COMPANY* DOESN'T DO THAT. THIS SHOULD BE ALL YOU NEED.
    Me- Ma'am, this is *COMPANY*, our requirements are a little different than theirs.
    Red- WELL, THIS SHOULD BE ALL YOU NEED.
    Me- But, I'm afraid it isn't.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Me- And what is your address, ma'am?
    Red- 124 Crazy Rd, Somewhere, FLORIDA.
    Me- (oh sweet lord, why me, we're in MARYLAND) Oh no, do you live with your daughter currently?
    Red- NO, SHE LIVES HERE.
    Me- I'm afraid that a membership is limited to one household. She needs to purchase her own.
    Red- BUT WE ARE IN THE SAME HOUSEHOLD.
    Me- (Oh, I am going to KILL you.) Ma'am, I'm afraid that counts as two households, as you reside separately.
    Red- WELL, I AM NOT PAYING EXTRA TO PUT HER ON THE ACCOUNT.
    Me- Ok, then.
    (I keep typing)
    Red- DON'T YOU NEED MY DAUGHTERS INFORMATION TOO?
    Me- You'd like to sign her up for her own?
    Red- NO, I WANT HER ON MINE.
    Me- Ma'am, that is not possible. She needs to purchase her own.
    Red- YOU WILL PUT HER ON THE ACCOUNT. BUT I'M NOT PAYING YOU FOR IT.
    Me- (I just can't take this anymore.) Ma'am, I am calling my manager now. She will assist you further.

At that point, I was sick of her, I just got on the phone, called for my mgr, and walked away from her.

My manager comes down, and starts to process it. Red repeats her little spiel about how she will not pay for an extra membership, show her ID, or how her *RIVAL COMPANY* card should be enough to warrant us giving her a business membership. My manager repeats exactly what I said on everything. The lady starts in again with, "That's not how *RIVAL COMPANY* does it!". My manager is two steps away from telling her to take it or leave it, when all of a sudden:

"MOM, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SHUT UP!"

Her daughter cracked. She starts fighting with her mom about how rude she's been the whole time, and how she doesn't listen at all. She tells her to just shut up, tells my manager to cancel her mom's sign-up, and to start signing her up (the daughter) for a personal membership. She shows her ID and everything, and when we finish, she turns to her mom, and says:
    "These cards are NON-TRANSFERABLE, they said, so like hell will I EVER let you borrow it now, especially after the way you just treated these girls, because I seriously doubt they even WANT your business!"
    The daughter thanks us and walks away from her still complaining and arguing mother.

My manager told me she was surprised I held my patience as long as I did, and that I did a good job. At that point, I just told her 'thank you' a million times for saving me from that jerk... and laughs were had over the daughter. To quote my mgr, "She must had been holding that in all day."
    "I, too, am saddened by the lack of hookers in this thread." -LingualMonkey

Kudos to the daughter.

Seriously, who really thinks they can behave that way to someone else and actually get what they wa..... Oh. (crazylegs looks at site title...)
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

It's not genetic! Maybe there's hope for humanity after all!
      You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.

Comment

That is also about the time I offer the Daughter somthing as a Thank You - reinforce positive behavior. (you know a cupon for so much off . . .a free cup of coffee . . .anything)
        Even if I have to pay for it out of my own pocket . . . but that is just me.

Comment

Quoth Emrld View Post
          That is also about the time I offer the Daughter somthing as a Thank You - reinforce positive behavior. (you know a cupon for so much off . . .a free cup of coffee . . .anything)
          Even if I have to pay for it out of my own pocket . . . but that is just me.
          I wish, but we're a huge corporation, and they have strict rules about that kind of interaction between members and employees. It sucks.
          "I, too, am saddened by the lack of hookers in this thread." -LingualMonkey

Comment

Quoth Nakajo View Post
            I wish, but we're a huge corporation, and they have strict rules about that kind of interaction between members and employees. It sucks.
            And, why would you reward people for behaving like they're supposed to behave? It's not like the daughter did something unusual, like admitting that you gave her a credit she wasn't entitled to or something.
            Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

Go daughter!
              My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

LifeCarnie - the reason I suggested rewarding the daughter in this case was to show reinfocement of proper behavior - when dealing with children you have a choice to reward the good behavior or give attention to the one mis-behaving. In this story the Mom was acting like a child and could possibly benefit from seeing that sometimes when you behave in public you get a reward.
                Add in the fact that it sounds like the Daughter had been putting up with this type of behavior for a better part of the day and could most likely use some acknowledgement for not harming her Mother.

Comment

I wish I had been there only so I could hug the daughter and buy her dinner.
                  "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

ignorant, angry, and stupid? she's a triple threat!
                    what an a@@-clown

Comment

The daughter must work in retail. I'm glad that she had the courage to stand up to her mom.

As for the mom... If she was so sold on *RIVAL COMPANY* then WHY DOESN'T SHE JUST GO THERE TO SHOP!!?!?!?!
                      Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

Working...
                      X