Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I'm eating someplace like Red Robin where my burger is effectively $10, I expect it to arrive correct. How hard is my order? "Cheeseburger, no tomatoes, no pickles". Darned simple.

If I'm paying $1 for it at McD's, I order the same way and hope it arrives correctly. More often than not, it does.

Mr. Omelette is a freak ... why not just order the omelette the way he wanted rather than starting with a Denver and totally changing it?
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Hrm . . . is there anyone you could get to translate particularly tricky orders like that? (At my store, at least, it seems like a good third of the front end is bilingual . . .) I mean, I'm friendly with a few of the kitchen guys, and even though they're normally really good with English, they can get confused sometimes; this might help.

(Well, okay, not all of them know English very well, but the ones who interact with the waiters all seem to.)

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
        Why the hell don't picky people like this stay home and cook for them damn selves?
        I don't think I have ever made an alteration to a menu item in my life, nor have I ever sent back food, even when my chicken was only cooked half-way through.
        For as much as I see and as much as I experience, I'll never understand how people can be so petty and still manage to live with themselves.

As a side note I am now hungry after reading this.
        Sometimes there are reasons for alterations, as others have mentioned. I have a friend who's allergic to citrus as well as other foods, and has to be very careful of what she orders. Sometimes she'll get her Iced Tea with lemon on it, and has to insist that they pour a new glass because it's already contaminated with lemon. Me, I'll just pull it off and deal, because I dislike lemon in my tea.

For the chicken, I'd have sent it back because undercooked chicken can be deadly, but I like my steaks to be bloody. Normally, they are overcooked, but I'll eat them because I don't want to wait. I'm always pleasant about it, regardless.

Note: I'm hungry too...

Eric the Grey
        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Ayleah
          I do alterations on my burger, and I think it's actually pretty easy, but for some reason, no one can ever seem to get it right.
          When my gf and I go to, say, BK, she usually orders her burger without pickles, then I order my burger without modifications. For the record, I love pickles in my burger.

Invariably, we'll get both burgers without pickles.
          "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

I don't mind if they want a few things changed about the meal. But when they want everything changed, they should find something that fits their needs better.

I am also all for eating healthier. But the resturant I work for is so not about eating healthy.

Just a note.....I am still chipper after working my 10 hour shift. It is just the people who come in on sundays that make me want to kill people.
            Last edited by Broomjockey; 12-29-2007, 11:17 PM. Reason: merge
            My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

I agree, i think that if I am going to pay for food, I should have it the way I like it. Now I won't go crazy and try to change something into something else, but usually i ask for like onions off of my burger or bacon extra crispy. I have had servers that thought that was too much and they usually don't recieve a very good tip. Working in pizza for almost 15 years i understand difficult orders and service as well.

Comment

I'm usually not too picky with my food, and I'll pick off stuff I don't like, but some things are too hard to take off, like sauces. I've only ever sent back something at a restaurant twice. Both were steaks.

One came coated in a mushroom sauce, that I specifically asked them not to put on... (I despise mushrooms)

The other came out so rare to the point it was still cold in the center. (I asked for Medium).

Only times an order has been so-bad as to be unsalvageable. Usually it's not bad if they mess up (Like I order a sandwich without tomato, and it comes with it). It takes me all of two seconds to take it off, and it's not that I even dislike tomatoes (I think they're delicious), I just don't like em on sandwiches or burgers, because they tend to overpower every other flavor.
                <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Hmm..that sucks. If I were in that group I would have told both of them to suck it up and eat what they got especially Ms Muffin.

The only time I can remember having an order sent back was when I ordered a a sweet and sour chicken bowl and not only did I find a half melted plastic lid in it, but I had asked for no red peppers. Funny enough it was the peppers that bothered me the most. The waitress and manager were good about everything. I got my meal comped along with my dessert, my mother's dessert, and my grandmother's dessert. I think the resturant was trying to bribe us into not complaining to the higher ups.
                  Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

Reminds me of this kid on this class trip. Went to a McD's and ordered a cheeseburger only with nothing on it...including the cheese. Everyone was confused and the cashier asked if he just wanted a plain burger instead ($0.20 cheaper). Nope. He wanted a cheeseburger with nothing on it and no cheese. At least he got his cheeseburger the way he wanted it.

You would think that the SC would understand that y'all's place was packed and would have been kind enough not to make that many alterations to his item. As for the muffin lady...maybe you just got one of alteregos...
                    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Comment

Working...
                    X