This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Math..its not too hard.

i work primarily in the dairy department of a grocery store which shall remain unnamed. It just kind of really makes me question the intelligence of most of them. Our milk was on sale, the half gallons were three for $5.. and the gallons were as usual $2.95. Now if you do the math real quick.. its $1.67 for a half gallon. Now do the math real quick.. and you get $3.34 for one gallon if you buy two half gallons.. Yet we proceded to sell out of half gallons completely.

But the best part of the entire ordeal is two weeks later the half gallons went on sale six for $10 and we sold out again.

Maybe it's not just math, I know plenty of people who only buy half-gallons because that's all they need- either weekly or perhaps because they are baking. Also I know in our store we get a larger quantity of gallons in stock versus the quantity of half gallons.

That being said, in reguard to the idiots who think they are saving something- have you noticed it's mostly the people who are so dead set on saving money who most often make idiotic choices like that?

Oh, and a gallon here is 5$. I'm moving to your state
    "I just figured you would be terrified, and I would be sarcastic about it."

Comment

The price of milk is regulated by the State of Pennsylvania Milk Marketing Board. There is never a sale and everyone has to sell it for just about the same price, depending on the area. Locally it just went up to $4.10 a gallon. When I used to live in Arizona a few years ago, it was regularly on sale for half that.
      This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

I do admit that I buy half gallons sometimes, because I really don't use that much milk, so it does end up being cheaper for me.

But, I do understand about customers that can't do math. My seasonal job, selling glass figurines at a mall kiosk, I get that constantly. And people are usually only buying a couple things, not a cartload of stuff. So, I give them their total and they look at me with not only a confused look, but a confused look with attitude, implying that I am the one that's wrong.

"WHY?" They say....I hate that word...
        Uh...because that's what the crap you bought costs....
        And then we have to do a math lesson, where, BEHOLD! the register and myself are correct.
        "FINE!" They say, like I'm cheating them....
        "What size can I get you, ma'am?"
        "Red."
        "Okay...I'll check the red for you, but what size do you need?"
        "RED!"
        "..."

Comment

I was in a Spanish supermarket, and they were running an offer where 750g packets of Kellog's Cornflakes were cheaper than 500g packets. I pointed this out to 4 or 5 other customers... But only one guy had the sense to change his mind and get the bigger packet for less money, the others just wandered off with 500g packets.

Ho hum, there must have been a catch because I was a total stranger, I suppose - the fact that the supermarket had printed an OFERTA notice didn't mean a thing.

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
            The price of milk is regulated by the State of Pennsylvania Milk Marketing Board. There is never a sale and everyone has to sell it for just about the same price, depending on the area. Locally it just went up to $4.10 a gallon. When I used to live in Arizona a few years ago, it was regularly on sale for half that.
            Acctaully PA regulates the minimum price. Which means some stores can sell it for more slightly more than it.

Cause the state minimum in my section of the state for a Gallon of regular milk is about $3.75 or so. My store sells it for about $3.81.

What's worse is the state legistlature wants to ban milk being sold that has any sort of "Hormone Free" label or anything like it on the milk. That includes all milk related products, including Ben and Jerry's. Unless they make Pennsylvania specific packaging or simply not sell the stuff in this state any more.

Comment

Quoth Enigma View Post
              Maybe it's not just math, I know plenty of people who only buy half-gallons because that's all they need- either weekly or perhaps because they are baking.
              Agreed - although that logic falls apart when someone is buying two half-gallons at a time. Obviously they need a gallon in total, so why not buy it in whatever form is cheapest?

I think most people just fall for silly marketing tricks like "Two for $whatever".

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Another story. When I worked for perhaps the most famous chain of photographic retailers in the UK, decades ago when slide film was only 95p, I did a 2 day trial of my own invented special offer: "That's 95p each, or 3 for 2 pounds 85" (work it out...)

Literally every customer bought 3.

Comment

Quoth Bagga View Post
                  Another story. When I worked for perhaps the most famous chain of photographic retailers in the UK, decades ago when slide film was only 95p, I did a 2 day trial of my own invented special offer: "That's 95p each, or 3 for 2 pounds 85" (work it out...)

Literally every customer bought 3.
                  This must be why lots of grocery chains say "10 for $10" instead of "$1".

I keep having to remind SO that she doesn't have to buy 10...
                  "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

Customers would ALWAYS buy multiples if that's what the ad said. "Ten for ten dollars? Well, I have to buy ten!" Or they would ask me what the price was if they only bought one.
                    Last edited by Chevy Nachos; 12-25-2007, 01:58 AM. Reason: corrected spelling mistake

Comment

Quoth chops View Post
                      This must be why lots of grocery chains say "10 for $10" instead of "$1".
                      I amazes me the amount of regulars who ask me every time they come in if it means they HAVE to buy 10, or if they can get just one ice cream at half off instead of "Buy One, Get One Free". If it say X for $Y, then you can buy as many or as few as you please, if it's buy X, get Y free, you gotta buy they whole amount.
                      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth Chevy Nachos View Post
                        Customers would ALWAYS buy multiples if that's what the ad said. "Ten for ten dollars? Well, I have to buy ten!" Or they would ask me what the price was if they only bought one.
                        Oh yes. Grand grand times.. and then they argue with you about it.

Comment

I sometimes forget that you don't always have to get two of something for the "buy one get one" to translate to half-price. I blame the years I worked in retail at one of the (apparently)few stores that actually did require two items to be rung up for BOGO to apply. As for the 10 for $10 thing...my girl scout troop took to doing that when we had cookie-booth duty. Instead of telling people the cookies were $2.50/box, we'd tell them it was a special deal, 2 for $5.00. Even the people who wouldn't normally be buying cookies from us did, when we pulled that trick

Comment

my Grandma would buy two 1/2 gallons b/c she had a hard time lifting the whole gallon.

Comment

What's the worse are the people that think "3 for a $1" instantly means they are $0.33 each.

At my store it says on the little sign that the price says "3 for $1 or $0.50 each." We take the promotional price at the register. If you bring up 2 of them, it's gonna be $1.00 regardless whether you buy 2 or 3.

Also people fight me over the fact they can't read the damn sign or yell at me cause they think the sign that says "Diet Pepsi Max 99 cents" means Diet Pepsi is ,at maximum, 99 cents.

Comment

Working...
                              X