This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These people scared me!

Clueless + cheap = a bad combination. Especially when a baby is involved!

Last night I was heading to my dinner break (of course) when a couple of women who have a baby with them ask me to help them. They're looking at the booster seats and can't find the one they want. It's the cheapest one we carry, $19.99. I can't find one either, and tell them we must be out of stock, when one of them points to a box on the way upper shelf that is a standard infant car seat and wonders where that one is.

Car seats were on the other side. On my way around I overhear a bit of conversation about how the seat is for the baby they have with them. "Those booster seats are for older kids," I tell them. "She wouldn't be safe in them!"

As it turned out we did have one of the seats they were originally looking at. But when I finally, after a couple of minutes of politely insisting that they really needed one of the car seats, got them to look at the car seat, the shelf tag was ripped off, so the one on the end (the cheapest, natch) didn't have an obvious price.

I went to the back to get a scanner; the label on it had a large bar code on it. The manager who happened to help me told me the price should be on the label, but got me the scanner thingy anyway. (Yes, I've been there nearly a year, and still haven't been trained on the silly things and nobody told me the prices are on those labels.) So I'm going to have to go get a coworker to sign into the system because he can't get in and I don't have a logon. On the way back over I stop to tell them I'm still on the case and take a look at the label to see if the price is on it. It is. In very small, easy to miss print. $48 and change. Not too much, I'd think.

Meanwhile, they've pulled a seat out of a box. A booster seat. And they complain there must be parts missing because it doesn't have straps on it. "No, it doesn't. Those don't have straps. They use the regular seat belts. She's too little for that yet." They are dismayed to find that the one I say they really should get is $48 as opposed to $20. It's not like I'm on commission, I just want the kid to be safe, you know? I think they thought I was upselling.

They cheap out and didn't buy either. I want to know if this child has ever been in an actual car seat. I thought hospitals usually give you one if you don't have one when it's time to go home.

That poor baby. They wanted to cheap out by putting her in danger. I found out how old she was a couple of minutes later when I ran into them again and asked; nine months. Cute kid. I got a dopey baby grin from her.

We used to get that at Budget all the time. People were too lazy to check a baby seat for their kid, but didn't want to rent one from us at $5/day. So they would ask us "What are the requirements in Missouri? Do we really HAVE to put her in a baby seat?" I'm sorry, if you have a question on whether the kid needs a baby seat, the kid needs a baby seat. If you use one at home, you need one on vacation, no matter what the laws say. Heck, if the kid fits in a baby seat, that's a good clue, dontchathink? When I have kids, I hope I will at least err on the side of my kid's safety as opposed to cheapness.
    Dips: The best karma happens when you let a jerk bash themselves senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

Quoth dragonflygrrl View Post
      So they would ask us "What are the requirements in Missouri? Do we really HAVE to put her in a baby seat?"
      I have a feeling that these people will be the first to sue if their kid gets hurt in an accident. Nevermind it was *their* fault the proper restraints weren't used
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Yeah, you have to love the "legal eagles" that want to know all the laws surrounding an issue so they can try and sue later if anything deviates from their understanding of the law. Which becomes interesting when the law itself deviates from their understanding of it. Happened all the time that someone would get a ticket for not having their kid in a baby seat and would try to claim we were responsible for not making them get one.
        Dips: The best karma happens when you let a jerk bash themselves senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

Quoth DistantStar View Post
          I thought hospitals usually give you one if you don't have one when it's time to go home.
          The hospital where my son was born loaned them out, both those were only good for about the first six months. They grow a lot during that first year. My son was born premature, and the car seat practically swallowed him up when we first took him home. By the time I gave the seat back to the hospital, he was spilling out of it in all directions.

You said the baby in your story was 9 month, so that explains it. They probably did have a seat that the hospital loaned them, but the baby had already outgrown it.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

my grandfather paid $200 for my newborn carseat back in 1983!!! It was imported from America for heavens sake.....he said there was no way he was going to risk anything happening to be because of a substandard restraint (he hated driving and cars, can you tell )

how can people not take care of the most precious thing in the world!!!!! These babies are helpless and pure, AHRG it makes me SO ANGRY that people can be so lax and unprotective! I cant believe people still have the 'it wont happen to me' attitude...shame on me for still having some faith in humanity

You should need a licence to be a parent.
            I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Utah, US

Here where my baby is born, they won't let you take your baby home unless you have the proper car seat for your baby. They even have a nurse go out and check to make sure the seat is properly adjusted.

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                I'll second that! It's awful to see people with children and no thought whatsoever for the best interests of the poor kid.
                Btw, you shouldn't be ashamed for your faith in humanity. Humanity should be ashamed for not living up to it.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                  You said the baby in your story was 9 month, so that explains it. They probably did have a seat that the hospital loaned them, but the baby had already outgrown it.
                  Ah. That's probably it. I hadn't thought of that. I could see her easily being too big for a specifically newborn-sized seat. Most of the ones I've seen seem to be big enough to accomodate anything from tiny ones to bigger kids than the baby in question. But I'd think that for the safety of your CHILD you could cough up $48 from somewhere. I know for some people (me, sometimes, for one *g*) that's a fairly big chunk of money, but some things are important!

One of my managers told me he had never seen so many people carrying babies on their laps in cars than when he moved here.

My mom told me when she had my little brother, in 1984, they wouldn't let them leave with him without a seat!

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                    I'ld just want to know who would be creating and administering the test. I'm sure it would be experts in the field.

And that's what worries me. How many of us have CEOs who are experts in their fields, but somehow no real clue?

Comment

Quoth Boulder_Bear View Post
                      Here where my baby is born, they won't let you take your baby home unless you have the proper car seat for your baby. They even have a nurse go out and check to make sure the seat is properly adjusted.
                      Heh...when it was time for me to leave the hospital, too bad they didn't send a nurse to make sure one of my aunties didn't try to permanently "borrow" me from my mommy. I was returned to my rightful parent within an hour or so.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                      X